Harvey Weinstein

Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Weinstein

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No.

Much of what has been discussed is part of the same issue, just on different levels and often not even intended in that way, but still treated as just as bad.
Any hoot, I think (as Tom Hanks posited in an interview) the name Weinstein is going to become synonymous with sexual predation. Probably best for all such news gossip to be filed under this thread. Pity the poor people who share this surname though.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

The odd thing is that with accusations like that and more flying around about Seagal, an article saying he did nothing more than talk about himself over a long dinner with buxom blondes (one of whom's cleavage he found distracting) would likely be something to say in defence. "Creepy but not dangerous" sort of thing.

Bit strange really.

They opened comments on the article by mistake - or that's what they said when every single comment posted was a negative (but not defensive or enabling) one, along with very high "recommends".

Glad I'm not the only Guardian reader with a few reservations on how they're approaching all this.
Sorry I'm late. She said he basically wanted to rape her - put his gun out very prominently etc. hence she managed to get out screaming or whatever
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Er why did he mention her looks in a supposedly professional letter?

All these examples are examples of men ogling and treating women as sexual prey. They are valid examples of how male dominated culture works.

Again, trading on your looks does not mean that you have to put up with leering stares. To paraphrase, She was not asking for this. Does a woman wearing a low cut dress mean that you can stare,leer, and comment? No it does not.

Once again I'm going to drop out of this male dominated thread.
I get you bats. This thread is male dominated.

I reckon BristolUK is ultimately well intentioned though, some are downright chauvinistic.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung

I reckon BristolUK is ultimately well intentioned though, some are downright chauvinistic.
Are you, in fact, hung, jerry?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm late. She said he basically wanted to rape her - put his gun out very prominently etc. hence she managed to get out screaming or whatever
That wasn't the woman in the article though.

I was contrasting the seriousness of that incident (and those of the same type) with others like a guy talking about himself and how equal prominence is given to both.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

You make the classic mistake of accusing people who don't agree with you of some form of failing.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You make the classic mistake of accusing people who don't agree with you of some form of failing.
Untrue, as much as you wish it to be. I disagreed with BristolUK with no change in perception of him. People who disregard rape and sexual assault with "just doing it for a favor so stop whinging" though are clearly chauvinistic and unsympathetic creatures - pity the woman who come in front of them.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you, in fact, hung, jerry?
I love how the post got all the usual suspects out in fine form - at least they know who they are.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

That wasn't the woman in the article though.

I was contrasting the seriousness of that incident (and those of the same type) with others like a guy talking about himself and how equal prominence is given to both.
Oh I see. I didn't read that Guardian article because it seemed lightweight. I only remember hearing Julianne M's version - that was ick enough. Based on what you say of the article in this thread, I suppose the author is talking about Seagal being a bit of a pervert. Perverts can do worse things than perv, some do some don't (or can't).
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Untrue, as much as you wish it to be. I disagreed with BristolUK with no change in perception of him. People who disregard rape and sexual assault with "just doing it for a favor so stop whinging" though are clearly chauvinistic and unsympathetic creatures - pity the woman who come in front of them.
Fair enough, as long as you don't insinuate that I am among those people who consider that victims of rape or sexual assault are just whingers.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I love how the post got all the usual suspects out in fine form - at least they know who they are.
It's a fair question, you comment that the thread is male dominated. Are you a male?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:32 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

And now Charlie Rose...! Would not have guessed that.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for repeating myself but I was checking something in my posting history in the guardian today and came across the following. It came from the fashion pages but it was on the main page for all to see - as I don't go on the fashion pages.

So there your faithful fashion reporters were, dutifully attending the pool party thrown by David Beckham to launch his swimwear range for H&M. (And yes, since you ask, it definitely was professionally necessary for three of us to attend.) A balmy summer evening, on the roof of Shoreditch House … we're going to be honest and admit we were hoping Beckham would be in trunks. Or maybe a sarong. So imagine our disappointment when he emerged in … a knee-length black coat, over a black T-shirt, black trousers and chocolate brown chelsea boots. A well-known menswear expert in attendance said of the look, under cloak of anonymity: 'That jacket. Cool and Saint Laurent if you're 20. Shane Richie if you're 40.' Which is harsh. But we still think he should have worn trunks
Note the humorous reference to "of course three of us had to go" and the disappointed three references to him not being in trunks.

I can read this with a smile to myself. But try reading it as if it were a female icon where, of course, all the male correspondents just "had" to attend in the hope of seeing her with the minimal covering of a bathing costume.

How would this be reported if this was, say, an over heard comment among three men about a woman? Or, indeed if it was a similarly nudge, nudge, wink, wink, article in the newspaper.

I think it would make the front pages as an example of what we've been reading. The writer(s) would likely lose their jobs.

I really don't like double standards.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for repeating myself but I was checking something in my posting history in the guardian today and came across the following. It came from the fashion pages but it was on the main page for all to see - as I don't go on the fashion pages.

Note the humorous reference to "of course three of us had to go" and the disappointed three references to him not being in trunks.

I can read this with a smile to myself. But try reading it as if it were a female icon where, of course, all the male correspondents just "had" to attend in the hope of seeing her with the minimal covering of a bathing costume.

How would this be reported if this was, say, an over heard comment among three men about a woman? Or, indeed if it was a similarly nudge, nudge, wink, wink, article in the newspaper.

I think it would make the front pages as an example of what we've been reading. The writer(s) would likely lose their jobs.

I really don't like double standards.
Oh I agree to an extent with this. If a women were launching a range of undies then tame comments at the launch party would be OK. Not of the " phoar phoar I would do that" type though and not if it was a party to launch a new book or movie.

Men's comments on, about, toward women are laden with sexual innuendo and threat. There's a power behind the threat, whether it's about getting or keeping a job, a threat of reputation, a physical threat of assault or rape.

Making simple comparisons doesn't address the whole problem.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Men's comments on, about, toward women are laden with sexual innuendo and threat...
Yes. Those videos on youtube when passers by are harassing (being friendly WTF) women have been a real opener.

Making simple comparisons doesn't address the whole problem.
True enough. Gets it off my chest though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.