Harvey Weinstein

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Weinstein

Originally Posted by Shard
Hasn't the dam broke on Weinstein?
Weinstein's toast. But there are probably a thousand more Weinsteins in Hollywood who still have the power to keep themselves out of the news.

The whole swamp needs draining, not just a few ageing alligators who've lost most of their teeth.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Weinstein's toast. But there are probably a thousand more Weinsteins in Hollywood who still have the power to keep themselves out of the news.

The whole swamp needs draining, not just a few ageing alligators who've lost most of their teeth.
Swamp draining is now in progress.

Weinstein was the inflexion point, surely? Can't see Hollywood going back to its old ways
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So what? I wasn't talking about the State, I was talking about the person accusing the accused. Please continue to argue with yourself.

I would call them the person assaulted, the owner of the property.

I'd respectfully suggest that, in most cases, the issue is: was it rape? Rarely is it to determine who committed the rape as it was it X, or Y? I will defer to your greater knowledge if it persuade you to leave this alone.

It is exactly the same reason why the person assaulted is rarely referred to as the victim. Partly, because it is prejudicial, and partly because they don't necessarily see themselves as a victim.

Once again, you are attempting to put words into my mouth, or text. I suggest you choose what you wish to call them, and allow me to do likewise.

You could call the woman raped the owner of the vagina but you chose to call her the accuser.

Was it theft or was it just borrowed? Different standards seem to apply where the person who has been raped is doubted.
And yes there are false accusations as there are with other crimes but they are not the majority.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

One man complains about Kevin thingy and everyone believes him. Several women complain about Trump and he gets elected.how many was it before Weinstein was believed?
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
One man complains about Kevin thingy and everyone believes him. Several women complain about Trump and he gets elected...
Good point. Although Trump's election might say more about idiots.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
A masterpiece of moral disapproval, repression and superciliousness. Mary Whitehouse would approve.
Not so. I simply question the ethical standards of the profession and suggest that this influences how society as a whole views intra-profession accusations of wrong doing.

Hasn't the dam broke on Weinstein? It seems like the definitive dam break story to me. Even indirectly leading to a resignation in the UK government.
I'm afraid, one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:53 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I'm afraid, one swallow doesn't make a summer.
No, but it could make a career.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
No, but it could make a career.
I know I shouldn't laugh but you can bet I did.

<hangs head in shame>
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

I've been thinking back to my days in the DWP/DSS.

One of our managers was gay - must have been 40 when I started - and he had a teenage "nephew". They remained together for 20 years or more.

When involved in recruitment (he was a training officer too) every new person starting was a young lad.

There was an older woman who gave Christmas Cards and sometimes presents to the female staff

In the 90s a more openly lesbian manager used to write "not fitted" on every application for promotion from males and "fitted" on all those from females.

Another manager used to have 'affairs' nearly every time his wife was pregnant.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You are, of course, completely correct. What happens in a Court is not relevant at all; what is relevant is determined media articles.
That's not what I said at all, Almost Canadian.
I am trying to introduce to you the nuances of said situation.

You are arguing, presumably, with the premise that Courts are infallible and I still contend, no they are not.

Of course, in normal circumstance, trial by media is not the correct route by any means. I refuse to repeat myself again though on the arguments
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I've followed this thread with some interest and as usual it's meandered away from the central theme and been nudged to a fro and not really got anywhere, so I'm going to raise a few hackles with my two pennyworth.

The problem with the Weinstein affair is that it concerns individuals whose profession is the performing arts. Even as a child, actors and actresses were portrayed as people with a blurred sense of sexual propriety. The multiple spouses they might acquire, the legend of the casting couch, their general behaviour, no doubt exagerated in the tabloids, gave the overall impression that love was something to be traded for fame and this, while greedily lapped up by the population at large, was generally at odds with how 'normal' people behaved, or rather how they thought themselves to behave.

Impressions like this don't fade very quickly and the advent of social media has resurrected and supported the feeling that, rightly or wrongly, these are not 'normal' people who do not behave the way 'normal' people behave.

So when an actor or actress complains of sexual mistreatment many years after the possible fact then the popular judgement is one made against a background of past and present attitudes towards their culture. It's then natural to judge not the accusation but the people involved and to ask the question 'Why now?' and 'Why not then?' These questions are asked of people who are considered not to live in the real world and to live by a totally different set of values. Their publicised antics and the fact that they play roles on and off the screen lead one to ask 'Are they telling the truth?' because even in the real world people tell lies.

It's clear that Weinstein exploited a culture of nudges and winks in the knowledge that those involved were bound together in some kind of mafia-like code of silence and I very much doubt that he's the only one and you have to ask yourselves why, in this window of opportunity, the dam isn't bursting open.

It's against this background that complaints against Weinstein will be considered, first by the justice system who will themselves make a decision as to whether a case can be made and then by the courts who will make a final judgement. I emphasise that the accusers will not be considered as innocent from the outset because of his or her profession and the culture that underlies it and even the weight of witness statements alone won't remove the question of the passage of time.

There has been a great deal of emotion expressed and AC has done his best to overlay how a legal framework approaches these issues, sometimes, I think, with little appreciation or understanding.

Very fair points, dave_j - thanks for your reasoning
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Weinstein was the inflexion point, surely? Can't see Hollywood going back to its old ways
Hollywood has been a swamp pretty much forever. I can't see them throwing everyone who's had a casting couch under the bus, and they'll crawl back out of the ooze as soon as they think the coast is clear.

Though, this time, the cleanup has support from both left and right, so maybe they won't have a choice.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hollywood has been a swamp pretty much forever. I can't see them throwing everyone who's had a casting couch under the bus, and they'll crawl back out of the ooze as soon as they think the coast is clear.

Though, this time, the cleanup has support from both left and right, so maybe they won't have a choice.

I still think that outright rape is another thing.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

I guess this is now where Twitter for twits comes in.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have clear examples of this or is it just something you have inferred?
From the arguments it was the women own responsibility for being part of the industry to the "recipients" being called shits.

Voluntary is one thing, rape and assault is another in my books.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.