Harvey Weinstein

Old Oct 11th 2017, 11:38 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harvey Weinstein

It's not hard to believe that the famed Hollywood casting couch is real, but it is hard to believe how this guy was able to operate for so long, given how famous and powerful many of his 'colleagues' have become.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Weinstein

Heard a piece on The Current on CBC radio this morning. The whole culture of what used to be called "gag orders" and are now usually referred to as "non-disclosure agreements" is pretty poisonous. A young aspiring actress, or anybody in what is essentially precarious employment reliant on references from well connected people like Weinstein, is paid off to keep shtum. The way these contracts are written, the abused party could never afford to be sued for breaching the terms, so never mentions anything to anybody even beyond the narrow scope of the gag order. And so it goes on.

Almost more worrying in Weinstein's case is the whole network of enablers now being dragged out of the woodwork. While his company was quick to dismiss him when this came to light in the press, it is pretty bleeding obvious that senior associates knew exactly what he was about, and that employees up and down the organization have been covering up his criminal behaviour for years and years.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I’m overly cynical, jaded, whatever one wants to call it, but I’ve been aware of this guy’s reputation & the allegations for years & I’m not surprised by the cover-your-ass scrambling currently going on. Nor am I surprised that NDAs have kept it under wraps for so long.

Reminds me of the Jimmy Saville debacle (amongst others): I first heard rumours/2nd hand accounts in the eighties. As did - afaik - law enforcement and the “powers that be”.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's not hard to believe that the famed Hollywood casting couch is real, but it is hard to believe how this guy was able to operate for so long, given how famous and powerful many of his 'colleagues' have become.
"You'll never work in this town again" is not an idle threat in Hollywood.

The real question is why his protectors suddenly decided to toss him under the bus.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
"You'll never work in this town again" is not an idle threat in Hollywood.

The real question is why his protectors suddenly decided to toss him under the bus.
Because the publicity was beginning to hit the company, it's a bit like the JS phenomenon in the UK, getting away with it for years because of who he is, then someone has the guts to speak out, and then others also come out from hiding. It seems as though he liked to have informal interviews in his hotel suite, excuse himself to use the bathroom then return wearing only a robe which wasn't fastened. They should have done what my wife did when she was confronted by a flasher, he just opened his coat, so she said,'sorry, I roll my own' , he ran off.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Heard a piece on The Current on CBC radio this morning. The whole culture of what used to be called "gag orders" and are now usually referred to as "non-disclosure agreements" is pretty poisonous. A young aspiring actress, or anybody in what is essentially precarious employment reliant on references from well connected people like Weinstein, is paid off to keep shtum. The way these contracts are written, the abused party could never afford to be sued for breaching the terms, so never mentions anything to anybody even beyond the narrow scope of the gag order. And so it goes on.

Almost more worrying in Weinstein's case is the whole network of enablers now being dragged out of the woodwork. While his company was quick to dismiss him when this came to light in the press, it is pretty bleeding obvious that senior associates knew exactly what he was about, and that employees up and down the organization have been covering up his criminal behaviour for years and years.
The casting couch may be despicable and degrading, but is it criminal behaviour?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The casting couch may be despicable and degrading, but is it criminal behaviour?
sexual harassment and sexual assault are crimes.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered the same.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
sexual harassment and sexual assault are crimes.
I know that. I'm not 100% convinced that a "transactional" encounter (I'll give you a leg up in the business if you ...err... scratch my back) counts as assault.

Despicable, but not criminal?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I know that. I'm not 100% convinced that a "transactional" encounter (I'll give you a leg up in the business if you ...err... scratch my back) counts as assault.

Despicable, but not criminal?
"You'll never work in this industry again unless you give me a blow-job now" is a bit more than a "transactional encounter." Consent gained under such duress is not consent: sexual acts performed under such false consent are assaults.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:15 pm
Yo

Hmm. Think we need our learned friend AC to comment on this...!
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well if its all true...which seems likely, I hope he gets what coming to him. Anyone who has such extreme arrogance and shows such contempt for women, deserves to come crashing down with a big thump.

Hopefully he will "never work in that town again".
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on jokes that have been made in TV over the years about this man, seems it likely was no hidden secret of how he behaved.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3796504/s...edium=Facebook

These sorts of jokes don't come out of nowhere.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
"You'll never work in this industry again unless you give me a blow-job now"
Is that what's meant by "a gag order"?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Perhaps I’m overly cynical, jaded, whatever one wants to call it, but I’ve been aware of this guy’s reputation & the allegations for years & I’m not surprised by the cover-your-ass scrambling currently going on. Nor am I surprised that NDAs have kept it under wraps for so long.

Reminds me of the Jimmy Saville debacle (amongst others): I first heard rumours/2nd hand accounts in the eighties. As did - afaik - law enforcement and the “powers that be”.
Manhattan DA didn't press charges. The police officer involved was livid. Cryus Vance received $$$$ from Weinstein lawyer:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rvey-weinstein

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.