Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It is happening again

It is happening again

Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It is happening again

Originally Posted by bats
Spoiler:
he is awake!
Spoiler...I hadn't seen it until this afternoon.

Glorious

Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did you
Spoiler:
cheer?

Double episode to finish next week.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did you
Spoiler:
cheer?

Double episode to finish next week.
I did, it was magnificent. Sorry about the spoiler but we knew he was going to wake up.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Mr Jackpots

Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

he is awake!
Nice nod to impatient fans when MIKE / the One Armed Man's first reaction was just: "Finally".

And how glorious that moment was. One of the most emotionally satisfying things I've ever seen, and it was played perfectly by Kyle MacLachlan. That moment when he turns to Bushnell and says, "I am the FBI" was just perfect (although line of the night has to go to Rodney Mitchum who shrugs off the Tarantino-esque gunfight on a suburban Vegas street with the observation, "people are under a lot of stress").

Anyway, the return of Dale Cooper shows the mastery Lynch and Frost have of what they're doing. Imagine Coop had re-emerged after just an episode or two bumbling around in the life of Dougie Jones. It wouldn't have had nearly the same impact as it did after all this time we spent with the character. And his scenes with Janey-E and Sonny Jim were heartbreaking... although i suspect his request for MIKE to make another tulpa of him means that the family won't be without a father for long.

Add that truly wonderful moment to the Diane twist (didn't see that coming, and where / what is the real Diane?), Mr C confirmed as (now-dead) Richard Horne's father, and the truly shocking ending with Audrey in some kind of.... other place? institution? and it all added up to being among the best episodes of the entire season, up there with #3 and #8. This show is so superior to anything else on the TV that it defies belief.

I hope somebody ends up putting on a showing of the entire season at a cinema or someplace. In 2010 the Battersea Arts Centre in London did this with the original two seasons, as part of a weekend-long Lynchian love-in. They screened all 29 episodes from 12pm Saturday through 12pm Sunday. I made it as far as Ep15 and the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

I see someone else has been reading the various theories on other blogs then.

The Guardian reviewers have been quite poor, especially the guy doing it for the first few episodes before they changed him, as many commenters were swift to point out.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

I see someone else has been reading the various theories on other blogs then.

The Guardian reviewers have been quite poor, especially the guy doing it for the first few episodes before they changed him, as many commenters were swift to point out.
I've read some (agreed, the Guardian one by Stuart Jeffries was awful) but some of the most interesting discussion I've heard has been on a Twin Peaks podcast produced by Entertainment Weekly

I'm not usually so obsessive about TV shows but Peaks has always had a special meaning for me –� the first time I used the internet (c. 1995) was to visit early TP fan sites, and a teenage obsession with David Lynch's work was one of the reasons I ended up going to film school.

Last edited by DeanN; Aug 29th 2017 at 12:59 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DeanN
I'm not usually so obsessive about TV shows but Peaks has always had a special meaning for me...
I've never had a kitchen clock and a key fob for any other TV shows although I did have a little Dalek and always wanted a Man from Uncle briefcase.

Film school...that must be worth it if only to be able to put a name to certain techniques/shots etc
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

From the guardian comments

enter the coordinates 48 55' 14.2" -117 16' 59.56" from this episode in google maps and you will notice an interesting location just slightly to the north west
Zoom out a couple of times
Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Great article in the Guardian about the show as we round on the finale.... the investigation of the links between Dougie Jones and Gregor Samsa from Kafka's Metamorphosis are most interesting. It almost, almost makes up for the dismal early episode recaps by Stuart Heritage.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...with-our-times
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Well, that all ended pretty much as predicted.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DeanN
Well, that all ended pretty much as predicted.
Did it? I wasn't expecting all loose ends tied up but
Spoiler:
I expected something that might at least be a little more satisfying than just Dougie getting home.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 4:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Cheated, I feel cheatedd
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Cheated, I feel cheatedd
It does feel as if we've been led on a wild goose chase.

I've been looking forward to watching it all again, but without a week between episodes, with my stepdaughter who I got into the originals just prior to this.

I'm not sure I can do that to her now, knowing that after 17 hours of weird but wonderful TV she'll feel let down after weird and wtf.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Did it? I wasn't expecting all loose ends tied up but ....
There was also the Ed & Norma happy ending from last week. And really the first half of episode 17 did clear up the major plot arc of the season. For Lynch (certainly in his post-1992 films, the Straight Story aside) that's an uncommonly high level of closure.

I thought that the ending was great, and perfect for the series. Beguiling and baffling, and I can see why a lot of viewers aren't happy, but it worked for me, and it was delivered with such confidence. Packed in enough questions to keep us all talking and wondering for another 25 years. A finale to launch a thousand theories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.