Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

H5N1 Bird Flu BC/Alberta

H5N1 Bird Flu BC/Alberta

Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:09 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default H5N1 Bird Flu BC/Alberta

A female who returned from China via Vancouver has died of H5N1 Bird Flu. Anyone who was on either of the two planes to be checked out even though this Flu is not suppose to be passed on via humans.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...343/story.html

Even so, if you was on that flight it must be a worry, i always catch a cold on flights

The unidentified woman began to fall ill on a flight from Beijing to Vancouver, on Air Canada flight number 030, and Vancouver to Edmonton, Air Canada flight 244, on Dec. 27.

The woman went to hospital with symptoms of fever, headache and malaise. She was admitted to hospital on Jan. 1 and died on Jan.3.

Last edited by magnumpi; Jan 9th 2014 at 5:12 am.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H5N1 Bird Flu BC/Alberta

So she flu?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

why do all these flus come from Far Eastern countries?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Not the Spanish flu although that is rather far and east of me.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've read mostly due to the close proximity of humans and poultry, especially in China where billions of people live and lots live in very close contact to poultry.

Flying is a wonderful thing, but the downside to it is if we ever get a contagious virus that is on a path to causing a pandemic it will spread around the globe like never before.

Planes in general are filthy, they are never really cleaned to a point of being clean. I've cleaned airplanes, it basically consists of vacuuming the carpet, wiping down the tray tables quickly, removing trash from the seat pockets, a quick wipe down of the lavatories, a quick mop and presto done. Its all about being visually clean. Looks clean its clean.

Oh and the pillows and blankets, avoid those, we only changed/removed them from the plane with they were visibly dirty. If they are wrapped in plastic still, they are good to go though.

I've worked at 4 different North American airlines either directly employed or via a contract company, and this is how it was done at all of them.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 9th 2014 at 8:24 am.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:56 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
So she flu?
Like a bird.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Sanitary standards.

Some countries have them, some don't.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Oh and the pillows and blankets, avoid those, we only changed/removed them from the plane with they were visibly dirty. If they are wrapped in plastic still, they are good to go though.
Thank you for that tidbit. May I ask if airline crews would repack blankets used by someone else, or are they always freshly washed if they are in plastic ?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:11 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

One quote from the BBC report on the H5N1 death, that caught my eye:

"Ten people have died in Alberta this season from swine flu, or H1N1."

Along with the quote "Nearly 1,000 cases of H1N1 have been reported in Alberta", I'd read on CTV's site.

The current flu vaccine immunizes against H1N1... is the vaccine not working or are the majority of these people just plain ignorant and filthy dirty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25662730
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
One quote from the BBC report on the H5N1 death, that caught my eye:

"Ten people have died in Alberta this season from swine flu, or H1N1."

Along with the quote "Nearly 1,000 cases of H1N1 have been reported in Alberta", I'd read on CTV's site.

The current flu vaccine immunizes against H1N1... is the vaccine not working or are the majority of these people just plain ignorant and filthy dirty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25662730
Late last week/earlier this week I believe they were reporting that only something like 20% of the population had received the vaccination. What was more worrying was the fact that, IIRC, less than 60% of hospital staff had been vaccinated.

There have been lots of horror stories about line ups to receive the vaccine and most pharmacies have now run out of vaccine.

I suspect that more people have been killed driving vehicles in the last week in Alberta.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect that more people have been killed driving vehicles in the last week in Alberta.
And this is exactly the context in which the "problem" should be seen. the medical industry's "solution" to supposed flu pandemics is staggeringly disproportionate to the problem.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
And this is exactly the context in which the "problem" should be seen. the medical industry's "solution" to supposed flu pandemics is staggeringly disproportionate to the problem.
I agree.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is the pharmacuetical industry's basic conundrum. Do I create new drugs to treat real diseases or do I create diseases that can be treated by the drugs I already have? I suspect the latter is much more profitable.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:49 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta has only one more batch of the flu vaccine to distribute and they will run out this weekend. According to the lady on the radio.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Alberta has only one more batch of the flu vaccine to distribute and they will run out this weekend. According to the lady on the radio.
Oh dear. Let's hope some kindly pharma company offers to produce some more, at short notice rates.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:13 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
Not the Spanish flu although that is rather far and east of me.
... and a about a hundred years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.