Guitar Mad People

Old Oct 15th 2017, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guitar Mad People

Here's a a project - Stairway to Heaven

When I first tried the opening riffs, I had no idea how anyone would play the first chords (surprisingly, the finger picking isn't that hard - I found the chords impossible) but I stuck with it and, eventually. I was able to play it. I then learned the middle part and the solo.

Here's the first bit:
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

strat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond repute

also, try riffstation. it takes any track you have on your laptop and extracts the chords directly from the track, running them below the 'waveform as it plays. also does the slow down thing if you're after that... twas around $29 when I purchased way back.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:24 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strat
also, try riffstation. it takes any track you have on your laptop and extracts the chords directly from the track, running them below the 'waveform as it plays. also does the slow down thing if you're after that... twas around $29 when I purchased way back.
WOW, it's a free app now, and it works !! Just WOW Lol, basic chords but ok for a few easy songs.

Last edited by magnumpi; Oct 16th 2017 at 1:00 am.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:38 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as there was some Radiohead chat, anyone else tried "I Promise"?

Amazing song, amazing video, and simple enough structure. Brilliant.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Seeing as there was some Radiohead chat, anyone else tried "I Promise"?

Amazing song, amazing video, and simple enough structure. Brilliant.
Great choice. I will try tonight with my daughter on drums. If only I didn't sound like a drowning cat
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:41 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just wanted to thank everyone for the links. I will check them out this weekend!

I'm at work right but would rather be home practicing!

Rene
Does using a guitar teacher help significantly with your playing? I find I hit lows and highs when trying to pick up tunes etc, was wondering how having a tutor may have kept your interest or spurred you on to learn better ?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Does using a guitar teacher help significantly with your playing? I find I hit lows and highs when trying to pick up tunes etc, was wondering how having a tutor may have kept your interest or spurred you on to learn better ?
I have had a few over the years. I really wanted some form of guidance as to what to learn and in what order. I thought that there would be lesson 1 through to lesson 1001 and that, when I first attended, I would go through each lesson to ascertain what my "level" was.

Unfortunately, that never happened and most of them would simply say, "What do you want to do today?" I always felt like responding, "To play the most difficult thing Yngwie can play" to see their reaction and, once instructors started putting useful videos on YouTube, I improved by learning from it.

I believe that Justin Guitar's site sets out what I wished I had had access to all those years ago and, if one's works through his beginner's and intermediate's course, one will be halfway towards being a very decent player.

Another thing is to force yourself to play along to music, preferably with other musicians. That way, you cannot cheat and "start over" and you also need to learn how to get over mistakes on the fly. A looper is good for that too as you will quickly identify how "red light" syndrome affects you.

I would also be interested to hear other's experiences.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 4:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy the 1-on-1 personal learning style for whatever I want to learn, not just guitar. I like that I can ask questions immediately and get an immediate answer. I like that the teacher can point out my errors and fix them right away. I like the chatting and banter in between playing. I have a great teacher and I don't think I would have learned as much, nor had as much fun, learning on my own.

My teacher recommends what we'll do next, but he's also open to my own ideas, wants, and needs. Most recently, he suggested learning a finger picking style using a piece by Bach. I just couldn't get into it, and dreaded those lessons. After several lessons I told him I like learning this style, but the song doesn't motivate me. So he switched to Hey Jude, and now I'm learning it much better!

I've brought many obscure Prince songs to my teacher, after I try on my own to transcribe them. He enjoys this, too, and it gives him an added challenge of learning a song he's never heard before. This way we both have fun!

My teacher has all kind of tidbits, hints, tricks, and stories to tell. I wouldn't get that with trying to learn on my own.

I use online resources, Justin's site, music books, etc as backup, but I heavily rely on my weekly 1- hour in person lessons.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2017, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Another thing is to force yourself to play along to music, preferably with other musicians. That way, you cannot cheat and "start over" and you also need to learn how to get over mistakes on the fly. A looper is good for that too as you will quickly identify how "red light" syndrome affects you.
I totally agree with getting in the habit of playing along to music. That's where the "slow down" programs are extremely helpful. Play at a speed you can handle, increase it over time, and suddenly you're playing along at full speed. There is nothing like the feeling of playing your favorite songs at top volume, and playing along with them! As noted, that also helps with moving on quickly from a mistake.

I haven't yet played with other musicians, other than my teacher, but I'm sure that will be a fun day if it ever happens!

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:03 pm

I used to play along with a guy many years ago, 20 years ago maybe, he was a customer at my MC shop. I would play open chords and he play lead over it. We go his house, he had an old valve Vox amp, two inputs, and he would tape our sessions and keep them. Sounded real good lol, after a few cans

At the time I was a total newby to guitars, had to concentrate real hard just to play open chords. It helped me no end back then.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I enjoy the 1-on-1 personal learning style for whatever I want to learn, not just guitar. I like that I can ask questions immediately and get an immediate answer. I like that the teacher can point out my errors and fix them right away. I like the chatting and banter in between playing. I have a great teacher and I don't think I would have learned as much, nor had as much fun, learning on my own.

My teacher recommends what we'll do next, but he's also open to my own ideas, wants, and needs. Most recently, he suggested learning a finger picking style using a piece by Bach. I just couldn't get into it, and dreaded those lessons. After several lessons I told him I like learning this style, but the song doesn't motivate me. So he switched to Hey Jude, and now I'm learning it much better!

I've brought many obscure Prince songs to my teacher, after I try on my own to transcribe them. He enjoys this, too, and it gives him an added challenge of learning a song he's never heard before. This way we both have fun!

My teacher has all kind of tidbits, hints, tricks, and stories to tell. I wouldn't get that with trying to learn on my own.

I use online resources, Justin's site, music books, etc as backup, but I heavily rely on my weekly 1- hour in person lessons.

Rene
That sounds fantastic. I am most envious!

The one thing I liked about lessons was that it did force me to practice when I didn't really feel like it, so as not to look like a fool come the next lesson.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:11 pm

I used to play along with a guy many years ago, 20 years ago maybe, he was a customer at my MC shop. I would play open chords and he play lead over it. We go his house, he had an old valve Vox amp, two inputs, and he would tape our sessions and keep them. Sounded real good lol, after a few cans

At the time I was a total newby to guitars, had to concentrate real hard just to play open chords. It helped me no end back then.
I've played a few songs with my teacher where one of us plays guitar and the other plays bass, along with the song, and it's fun to realize it sounds like "real music"! LOL

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I cannot do, and will never be able to do, is sing alongside my playing... I simply cannot separate the two things!!!

If I try to sing I just end up singing the strumming pattern... plus I actually can't sing!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
One thing I cannot do, and will never be able to do, is sing alongside my playing... I simply cannot separate the two things!!!

If I try to sing I just end up singing the strumming pattern... plus I actually can't sing!
LOL, funny you mention that... I'm the same way. I'm by no means a good singer, but I cannot sing while playing, either. I really admire those musicians who can do this.... it's not easy!! The pros make it look like it's nothing! Grrrr. LOL

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:11 pm

I can't sing either,when I do try I am like Jings, my right hand sinc's up with my mouth and it all goes to poop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.