Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / The Maple Leaf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30th 2017, 9:32 pm   #1381
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 6,890
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Has I Dare You written all over it, but I've been nibbling on the other half jar and I like it.
And so I'm making more, adding carrots to this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Groceries-kimchi.jpg  
__________________
We're Not watching Heartland.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 30th 2017 at 10:32 pm.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:02 pm   #1382
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,514
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

new to Dollarama this past week 'Jaffa Cakes' $1/pkg 135g, dark chocolate covered, 12 biscuits in a tray, packaged like the originals in the UK, in two flavours - Orange and Blackcurrent. Product of Poland.

We bought a total of 10 packs, 5 of each type.

Really good
not2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:22 am   #1383
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 6,890
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old View Post
new to Dollarama this past week 'Jaffa Cakes' $1/pkg 135g, dark chocolate covered, 12 biscuits in a tray, packaged like the originals in the UK, in two flavours - Orange and Blackcurrent. Product of Poland.
We bought a total of 10 packs, 5 of each type.
Really good
Before they closed our Sears Bargain Centre it had a huge display of both Polish and English confections next to the tills; the Dollar Store in the same mall has biscuits from various countries, but not the English stuff. I was bad for the soft liquorice and the allsorts.
__________________
We're Not watching Heartland.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:48 am   #1384
~~*Checksum*~~
Moderator
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 12,929
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old View Post
new to Dollarama this past week 'Jaffa Cakes' $1/pkg 135g, dark chocolate covered, 12 biscuits in a tray, packaged like the originals in the UK, in two flavours - Orange and Blackcurrent. Product of Poland.

We bought a total of 10 packs, 5 of each type.

Really good
Are those the "Pims" ones or Delicje? They are very good - I buy them whenever I see them on offer!



http://www.lowellfoods.com/kraft.html
Pim's Biscuits
__________________
"Checksums are often used to verify data integrity"

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 3rd 2017 at 2:51 am.
Siouxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:56 am   #1385
What year is this?
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 19,383
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Superstore have those very nice 99c lb smoked pork picnic things that are really hams. Also the Pork equivalents with a bit of crackling, same silly 99c price.

Best of all though,Prime Rib Premium Roasts for the outrageously cheap $4.77 lb. I bought 4

They make my favourite roasts.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:35 pm   #1386
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,088
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Superstore have those very nice 99c lb smoked pork picnic things that are really hams. Also the Pork equivalents with a bit of crackling, same silly 99c price.

Best of all though,Prime Rib Premium Roasts for the outrageously cheap $4.77 lb. I bought 4

They make my favourite roasts.
Dominion (which is what Superstore is called here) have the same pork picnic pricing but the prime rib is a buck a pound more expensive. Clearly the costs of shipping that extra 1500 kms. It's AA beef rather than AAA & I'm not generally impressed with their beef. Costco is way better.
__________________
It's a big country. YMMV.
Atlantic Xpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:55 pm   #1387
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,685
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

I’ve recently discovered, thanks to daughter, the joys of “price matching” offers from the local supermarkets. IF you can stand holding up the checkout line for what sometimes feels like far too long .

99c cauliflower was a “win” last week .
__________________
Chronic expat
Shirtback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:19 pm   #1388
What year is this?
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 19,383
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
I’ve recently discovered, thanks to daughter, the joys of “price matching” offers from the local supermarkets. IF you can stand holding up the checkout line for what sometimes feels like far too long .
Recently discovered? It's not something I do (nor coupons either ) but there was a discussion only a couple weeks ago and some people have apps for it.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:29 pm   #1389
BE Enthusiast
 
Teaandtoday5's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 775
Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Best of all though,Prime Rib Premium Roasts for the outrageously cheap $4.77 lb. I bought 4

They make my favourite roasts.
Turned out very well. Thanks for the cooking tips.
Teaandtoday5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:29 pm   #1390
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,685
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Recently discovered? It's not something I do (nor coupons either ) but there was a discussion only a couple weeks ago and some people have apps for it.
Recently for me - I haven’t been around these parts (BE) for a while other than sticking my head around the door briefly from time to time, so I’ve probably missed loads of discussions

(My daughter has some app thingy . )
__________________
Chronic expat
Shirtback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:16 pm   #1391
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,236
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
Recently for me - I haven’t been around these parts (BE) for a while other than sticking my head around the door briefly from time to time, so I’ve probably missed loads of discussions

(My daughter has some app thingy . )
Flipp is the app I use..usually save $5-$7 most times on a $80-$100 visit. Other people bring paper coupons...not all stores price match and here in Ottawa the stores it searches for lower prices is quite extensive.
Partially discharged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:19 pm   #1392
What year is this?
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 19,383
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
(My daughter has some app thingy . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partially discharged View Post
Flipp is the app I use..usually save $5-$7 most times on a $80-$100 visit. Other people bring paper coupons...not all stores price match...
I can't remember if I touched on this before or if I missed an answer, but there's a few things I wonder. Perhaps you have the answer.

If store A has several branches where something is, say, $5 but one branch has "this store only" @ $3 will the app or a price matching store B, compare their price to $5 or $3?

What about when store A has something @ $4 each or $5 for two, making it $2.50 each if you buy multiples of two.

Does the app/Store B make the comparison with $4 or $2.50?

What about size variations? Store A has a cereal 350g @ $4 or 700g @ $6 (more economical to buy the 700g)
Store B has the 350g @ $4.50 but their bigger size is 685g for $7.80.

The larger size in store B is still the better deal than their smaller packet but $6 for the 700g is the best overall price.

Presumably if store B does comparison, they won't price match with store A because the largest size isn't the same but they'lll sell you the smaller packet and you'll pay $4 instead of $4.50.

What happens if it's one of those weeks where there's an offer on the lower priced item, making it cheaper to buy a couple of lower priced items. Like in this example Store A charges $6 for the 700g packet but 2(x350) packets for $5, but only if you buy 2.

Will the app or B store compare their 350g price to $4 or $2.50. If you buy two, will they charge $5 or more?

Last one. A Buy one get one free. Cauliflower @ $3 in store A. BOGOF price equals $1.50 each but the official price is $3 for one.

If, at Store B, the price is $2 will they say "our price per item is lower" so you pay $2 or will they let you have one for $1.50 as the true cost in store A? Or will they match the bogof part and sell you 2 for the bogof price of $2?
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:30 pm   #1393
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,685
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I can't remember if I touched on this before or if I missed an answer, but there's a few things I wonder. Perhaps you have the answer.

If store A has several branches where something is, say, $5 but one branch has "this store only" @ $3 will the app or a price matching store B, compare their price to $5 or $3?

What about when store A has something @ $4 each or $5 for two, making it $2.50 each if you buy multiples of two.

Does the app/Store B make the comparison with $4 or $2.50?

What about size variations? Store A has a cereal 350g @ $4 or 700g @ $6 (more economical to buy the 700g)
Store B has the 350g @ $4.50 but their bigger size is 685g for $7.80.

The larger size in store B is still the better deal than their smaller packet but $6 for the 700g is the best overall price.

Presumably if store B does comparison, they won't price match with store A because the largest size isn't the same but they'lll sell you the smaller packet and you'll pay $4 instead of $4.50.

What happens if it's one of those weeks where there's an offer on the lower priced item, making it cheaper to buy a couple of lower priced items. Like in this example Store A charges $6 for the 700g packet but 2(x350) packets for $5, but only if you buy 2.

Will the app or B store compare their 350g price to $4 or $2.50. If you buy two, will they charge $5 or more?

Last one. A Buy one get one free. Cauliflower @ $3 in store A. BOGOF price equals $1.50 each but the official price is $3 for one.

If, at Store B, the price is $2 will they say "our price per item is lower" so you pay $2 or will they let you have one for $1.50 as the true cost in store A? Or will they match the bogof part and sell you 2 for the bogof price of $2?

And this ^^^^ is why I let daughter mess about with apps and stuff and tell me if I can price match my precious cauliflower. Or Not.
__________________
Chronic expat
Shirtback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:26 pm   #1394
What year is this?
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 19,383
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
And this ^^^^ is why I let daughter mess about with apps and stuff and tell me if I can price match my precious cauliflower.

I'm guessing that there are all sorts of conditions and that's even without getting into shopping on a different day because, say, the new flyer shows at a quick glance that a couple of things you can buy are so massively reduced that the saving on them alone is worth going on a different day.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:05 pm   #1395
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,685
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I'm guessing that there are all sorts of conditions and that's even without getting into shopping on a different day because, say, the new flyer shows at a quick glance that a couple of things you can buy are so massively reduced that the saving on them alone is worth going on a different day.
I’ll let you know .

I’m off to shop later on (at Walmart), clutching hard-copy IGA, Maxi & WM flyers because of super cheap specials on chicken & eggs respectively but better deals overall for the rest of my list at WM.

ETA: WM flyer small print specifically excludes BOGOF deals.
__________________
Chronic expat

Last edited by Shirtback; Oct 12th 2017 at 8:10 pm.
Shirtback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / The Maple Leaf


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com