Groceries

Old Feb 12th 2016, 6:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

With all the furor recently about the price of Cauliflower being $6+ in many parts of Canada, I checked out the price in my parents local Tesco in Suffolk last weekend. A quid each. Got me to thinking of how many cauli's I could fit in a suitcase & sneak in past the noses of Former Lancastrian's colleagues. I mean, say 40 cauli's @ $2.05 each, sell em for $5 here, thats $118 profit. Not exactly Miami Vice but easy money?

Of course I didn't. I'm not an International Cauliflower smuggler.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
...how many cauli's I could fit in a suitcase & sneak in past the noses of Former Lancastrian's colleagues.
You might get nervous and have a dose of the cauliwobbles.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I always price match. I shop at No Frills and routinely pricematch over half of my veg. At the checkout, I do the unmatched stuff first and then have everything else after.
I have a cribsheet to tell me the better price and which flyer - easy.
I don't have data on my cell, so I use the paper flyers.

I regularly save over $10 per shop (family of 4) and using the PC Mastercard Elite, I get triple points back and redeem these often. I continue to use NF as I get lots of points. I don't want to shop anywhere else as I don't get the PC points so matching gives me double the bonus.

I've done it now for 2 plus years and you see the same products coming up as loss leaders. Quite interesting to watch.

2 last comments, I have an upright freezer in the basement full (I make my own pies etc and freeze them etc) and I am from God's Own...............
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
I always price match. I shop at No Frills....I have a cribsheet to tell me the better price and which flyer...and using the PC Mastercard Elite, I get triple points back and redeem these often. I continue to use NF as I get lots of points. I don't want to shop anywhere else as I don't get the PC points so matching gives me double the bonus.
I'm curious. I can see it's not difficult to do your part but what is actually involved at the checkout? Do they take your word for it or do they check the other store's flyer for each item you are price matching? Do they have to override something and, if so, do they need a supervisor to come along and do it?

Do you hear comments from people behind you? Is it only flyer price matching or everything?

It's not something I want to do - so you folk who don't mind spending more than you need to don't need to groan in anticipation of that ; I actually quite 'enjoy' using both of the main rivals and I get plenty of opportunity to do so if I wish.

Two Superstores are convenient for Staples and other shops and one for the cinema, while Sobeys is more convenient for Canadian Tire, the liquor store and other places.

Sobeys has a nicer and better cake selection - their chocolate éclairs are to die for - but Superstore does (mostly) better bread and has a fantastic half price, but still fresh, selection.

Superstore and Sobeys both have "this store only" offers and both are easy to get to.

Superstore has more 'club' size items (like 8 kg of Basmati rice) but Sobeys has more of the British items that are nice to get occasionally.

I've done it now for 2 plus years and you see the same products coming up as loss leaders.

And you can work out pretty much how much to get until it comes around again.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:08 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

My stepdaughter works 50 yards away from a Superstore. If they're selling something for half price or less, like they do virtually every week, she can call in and get it. This applies to anyone working in or near a retail area. That must surely be many.

Admittedly I have more time than most as I don't work.
Your approach to grocery shopping relies on urban living, and the emboldened sentence above. Living 50 minutes drive from a grocery store and working full time the same distance away permits a single trip on a weekly basis to run errands. There's just not time to piss about flitting from store to store comparing flyers.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

As you ask, show them the flyer and they match the price. The majority of the time no supervisor overide needed, the cashier can do it generally. My cucumber reduction from $1.30 to 77c (matched to the Wally World price) needed a sup's over-ride today!

I always apologize to the people behind if i have lots of matching - most folks who shop at no frills have no objections with people saving money.

I matched the margarine today from 5.49 to 3.49 and then got 1500 points in addition so it cost me $2 for 2lbs of becel olive oil. Not bad. And then I get regular points on of of that.

So by just doing my regular shop, I save quite some cash. good job. 2 very hungry teenagers who eat horses at home.....

I work full time and shop once a week in a mad dash, gone are the days to peruse .......
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:54 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

As you ask, show them the flyer and they match the price. The majority of the time no supervisor overide needed, the cashier can do it generally. My cucumber reduction from $1.30 to 77c (matched to the Wally World price) needed a sup's over-ride today!

I always apologize to the people behind if i have lots of matching - most folks who shop at no frills have no objections with people saving money.

I matched the margarine today from 5.49 to 3.49 and then got 1500 points in addition so it cost me $2 for 2lbs of becel olive oil. Not bad. And then I get regular points on of of that.

So by just doing my regular shop, I save quite some cash. good job. 2 very hungry teenagers who eat horses at home.....

I work full time and shop once a week in a mad dash, gone are the days to peruse .......
But you have to peruse all the flyers, and cut stuff out etc, remeber to take it all with you, get stuck with a load of newspapers to recycle. Ugh. And then how long in the store at the cash?

Most of the markdowns are on prepared foods it seems to me which I buy rarely.
If I see stuff is a bargain I'll buy it but I'm not organised and not into faffing around.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:55 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by R I C H
Your approach to grocery shopping relies on urban living....There's just not time to piss about flitting from store to store comparing flyers.
And there we have the classic, possibly wilful, misunderstanding.

Who said anything about flitting from store to store? Did you not read my post properly?

If you really are slap bang in the middle of 50 minutes to work one way and 50 minutes to the supermarket the other way, you must be in a small minority. Is it not possible there's a supermarket near work? Let's say there's one half an hour away. Let's say it's even in the opposite direction to going home so it doesn't sound convenient. It would add (30x2) one hour to your homeward journey (plus the time to shop).

The separate, shopping only trip is one hour and 40 to drive to the supermarket and back plus the time to shop.

It could be a time saver to combine it with the return home journey instead of making a separate shopping trip.

It's weird. I constantly read about how NB is in the back of beyond but the way some folk go on it's them that live in the back of beyond.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

As you ask, show them the flyer and they match the price. The majority of the time no supervisor overide needed, the cashier can do it generally
There are those who think price comparison wastes too much time. Not just in the store but checking the flyers too.

And like me it sounds like you don't spend too much time in the stores.

As far as a big shop goes, I go much less than once a week. Sometimes only once a month. Because I'm out for other reasons the rest of the time (isn't everybody?) I find I can pop into a nearby supermarket for a quick few purchases. I've also stocked up on the loss leaders so there's even less of a need to go for shopping only.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:43 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Most of the markdowns are on prepared foods it seems to me which I buy rarely.
Most supermarket produce, item by item, is probably prepared foods so that's not a surprise that most reductions would be too.

Front page of the latest Ontario Loblaws flyer has Beef Tenderloin @$10.99 instead $19.99. Shrimps $9.99 instead of $17.99. Those are big savings. Chicken breasts 20% off, Yogurt and orange juice two-thirds normal, laundry/dishwasher stuff for two-thirds, pineapple, broccoli, potatoes, other fruits on pages one and two.

Back page has cereals, coffee, milk, frozen fish....
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:47 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Your approach to grocery shopping relies on urban living, and the emboldened sentence above. Living 50 minutes drive from a grocery store and working full time the same distance away permits a single trip on a weekly basis to run errands. There's just not time to piss about flitting from store to store comparing flyers.
and No offence Bristol, but he has a bloody good point!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:50 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

There are those who think price comparison wastes too much time. Not just in the store but checking the flyers too.

And like me it sounds like you don't spend too much time in the stores.

As far as a big shop goes, I go much less than once a week. Sometimes only once a month. Because I'm out for other reasons the rest of the time (isn't everybody?) I find I can pop into a nearby supermarket for a quick few purchases. I've also stocked up on the loss leaders so there's even less of a need to go for shopping only.
BS. I'm sorry, I don't believe that, browsing a few of your previous posts on the subject

You do know that Sun Peaks is a ski resort don't you ? These typically aren't situated in the centre of towns

Last edited by Stinkypup; Feb 15th 2016 at 2:52 am.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:52 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
and No offence Bristol, but he has a bloody good point!
None taken. But didn't I cover that 'good point' several times already and contradict the flitting about misunderstanding, and what I do is still so politely described as pissing about.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:55 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
BS. I'm sorry, I don't believe that, browsing a few of your previous posts on the subject
Big shop. When the sole purpose of leaving the house is to go to the supermarket, shop and come home.

You do know that Sun Peaks is a ski resort don't you ? These typically aren't situated in the centre of towns
From previous posts, yes. How many live in a ski resort compared to cities?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:56 am
I need a walk

Big shop. When the sole purpose of leaving the house is to go to the supermarket, shop and come home.

From previous posts, yes. How many live in a ski resort compared to cities?
Your Big shop is our Christmas shop

In answer to your second question 7 people

Maybe piss about flitting was a bit strong but it did make me chuckle- me very bad

Last edited by Stinkypup; Feb 15th 2016 at 3:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.