Groceries

Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by bc2015
Last week I got the Club Sized pack of extra lean mince in Real Canadian for 11.68/kg (5.84 for 500g). I have the PC Points card on my phone which gave me 20% back in points for that, so basically ended up paying about 10.50/kg for extra lean. Lean was even cheaper. I got a 2.something kg slab of it, most of it is in the freezer and it will do for 4-5 meals.
I don't eat ground meat, so never something I buy, but the family size bulk was cheaper at Save On as well. I was just trying to do a direct comparison to the same size as the receipt in the other reply.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't eat ground meat, so never something I buy, but the family size bulk was cheaper at Save On as well. I was just trying to do a direct comparison to the same size as the receipt in the other reply.
If we were stranded after a shipwreck or plane crash and we had to resort to cannibalism to survive you'd be in a real can of trouble.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Our local supermarket has a sign up saying "All our fresh chickens are exclusively 100% Canadian." I can't image that's going to send a very welcoming message to 25 Syrians Canada is taking in.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
If we were stranded after a shipwreck or plane crash and we had to resort to cannibalism to survive you'd be in a real can of trouble.
canned cannibalism works for me - put the pot on the fire & lets indulge in human stew
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:05 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Cheaper generally to used canned broth then to make it from scratch.... Most people shop based on price, not necessarily what is healthiest, tastiest or best.

I wouldn't be able to make pasta say from scratch for 1.00 which is what a package of dry stuff goes for much of the time for generic brand.

As for cake mixes, same thing, they are cheaper, you can get boxed cake mix on sale for as low as 1.00 for generic and even sometimes name brand.
Stock cubes are cheaper than canned or boxed broth but I was talking of those vile "cream of" condensed soups that figure in so many recipes.

Pasta from scratch us an indulgence

You don't need cake or cookies if you are on a budget.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Stock cubes are cheaper than canned or boxed broth but I was talking of those vile "cream of" condensed soups that figure in so many recipes. My wife occasionally does a slow cooker recipe which is essentially that. A slow cooker can be a useful tool in ensuring that a decent meal is ready when everyone comes in from school/work but the mushroom soup based recipes do make me gag a little.

Never done pasta from scratch. We do buy fresh prepared pasta from Costco for quick meals.

You are Marie Antoinette reincarnated and I claim my five euro!"Don't let them eat cake"

I agree with your post upthread on the truly crappy nature of some NA recipes in terms of use of processed food. We generally cook from scratch using actual vegetables & proteins. I often have a different experience in reading some recipe, perhaps Jamie (off topic but Jamie Oliver is to this generation what Delia was to mine) referring to free range chicken or bacon, or going to you butcher for a cut of lamb and think "Yeah. But in Newfoundland, I can't get those things" and substituting industrially farmed meat instead. Ho Hum, I did find that my local sobeys now stocks Creme Fraiche so I can stop using sour cream in some recipes so it's not all bad.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Stock cubes are cheaper than canned or boxed broth but I was talking of those vile "cream of" condensed soups that figure in so many recipes.

Yes the cream of whatever canned soups are vile and gross. I don't touch those...

I do use the little cubes myself, dollar store usually has them, but if not they are only a couple bucks at the normal stores, but we don't use many so the little pack lasts us a long time.

I do make cookies from time to time, but I do it from scratch as I do generally have basic baking stuff, but I wouldn't say its frequent. Few times a year.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are Marie Antoinette reincarnated and I claim my five euro!"Don't let them eat cake"

I agree with your post upthread on the truly crappy nature of some NA recipes in terms of use of processed food. We generally cook from scratch using actual vegetables & proteins. I often have a different experience in reading some recipe, perhaps Jamie (off topic but Jamie Oliver is to this generation what Delia was to mine) referring to free range chicken or bacon, or going to you butcher for a cut of lamb and think "Yeah. But in Newfoundland, I can't get those things" and substituting industrially farmed meat instead. Ho Hum, I did find that my local sobeys now stocks Creme Fraiche so I can stop using sour cream in some recipes so it's not all bad.
We can get free range but the price is insane, double or more the price for free range anything. 12 free range eggs push 7 dollars, organic special milk is almost 10 dollars, but guess it makes the hippies feel warm and cuddly inside buying them.

We have not been eating much meat as of late, tonight's dinner was steamed broccoli & zucchini with melted cheese. One of my favorites.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be different...I use cream of mushroom soup for padding and thickening some things I make.

I once made a curry (back in the UK) that was too strong and by adding a small can of...I can't think what it was called, but I believe it was used for vol au vents....it took the edge off with no loss of flavour.

Cream of mushroom soup is now an ingredient rather than thickening with flour or cornstarch.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Called at my local meat and everything else store today.

Chicken leg pieces (drumsticks minus the handle) $1.49lb. They also sell something they call 'ends' which are usually just misshaped things or the end pieces of cooked meats with plenty of meat if you don't mind a little fiddle.

I bought a pack of Pork Chop ends - quite often they make perfectly adequate pork chops anyway. But today I cut all the meat off and used it for a vindaloo and a non curry meat dish. $2.69 worth of meat and with onions and mushrooms it made 8 meals (to add to rice).

VH Vindaloo jar for $1.99 and a drop of leftover wine, oregano, garlic and cream of mushroom for the other.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:54 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of broths/stocks, there is a very good TV programme here called l'Epicerie. It is, as the name suggests, about groceries.

Last night they were doing a special on stocks/broths. They gathered a huge variety of cubes, boxes etc and subjected them to a bling tasting by chefs.

The boxes won hands-down. The Irresistibles Smart brand (Metro) was top of the pack.

A tip in all cases was to look at the list of ingredients. The shorter the list, the better.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Frozen foods and moving. Better to dump them/give them away or will they stay okay on just ice in a cooler for 24 hours or so and placed back in the freezer?

We move out Saturday and not into the new place until Sunday late morning.

So from 5pm Saturday to 12 Noon Sunday no access to a freezer. So not quite a full 24 hours.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Frozen foods and moving. Better to dump them/give them away or will they stay okay on just ice in a cooler for 24 hours or so and placed back in the freezer?

We move out Saturday and not into the new place until Sunday late morning.

So from 5pm Saturday to 12 Noon Sunday no access to a freezer. So not quite a full 24 hours.
If it's meat, you could cook it in advance and keep it on ice in the back of the vehicle (presuming it's cold outside).. or make a big pot of stew with the veggies as well, so you have a meal ready when you get there! If it's large pieces of meat (as opposed to ground beef or similar) then it should keep if you wrap it. Fish I would give away.

If it's veg, it will likely thaw out in that time unless it's totally packed with ice and you wrap everything in newspaper or similar.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 29th 2016 at 1:56 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:05 am
Oscar nominated

As for the body, best get rid of that under cover of the night

ooops....wrong thread.....
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If it's meat, you could cook it in advance and keep it on ice in the back of the vehicle (presuming it's cold outside).. or make a big pot of stew with the veggies as well, so you have a meal ready when you get there! If it's large pieces of meat (as opposed to ground beef or similar) then it should keep if you wrap it. Fish I would give away.

If it's veg, it will likely thaw out in that time unless it's totally packed with ice and you wrap everything in newspaper or similar.

Nope- thaw meat- Charlee will have it- she has big capacity- waste not want not
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.