Groceries

Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Kippers
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Kippers

Regarding the Loblaws $25 bread rebate, although nothing has been announced yet the method they use now to track customers is the PC Points Card and PC Mastercard. If I was them I'd use that, and require those who don't have either to register, maybe even pay it out as grocery credits/PC points (if they can get away with it) ensuring their money stays in-house.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 22nd 2017 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker

Regarding the Loblaws $25 bread rebate, although nothing has been announced yet the method they use now to track customers is the PC Points Card and PC Mastercard. If I was them I'd use that, and require those who don't have either to register, maybe even pay it out as grocery credits/PC points (if they can get away with it) ensuring their money stays in-house.
HID [her-in-doors] said she'll make breakfast on Christmas morning and asked what would I like? After the initial shock of her acknowledging that we actually have a kitchen, I'm not sure what to ask for. It seems like one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities. Got any help?
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Kippers
HID [her-in-doors] said she'll make breakfast on Christmas morning and asked what would I like? After the initial shock of her acknowledging that we actually have a kitchen, I'm not sure what to ask for. It seems like one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities. Got any help?
From some of your previous posts I'd have thought the thing she'd least like to cook.

But I think you have your answer in your post on the breakfast thread, having just seen it.

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 22nd 2017 at 11:35 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for crepes and champagne and orange juice; if she's offering let her make something she likes, and try for kippers on New Year's morning later (when you'll have a hangover and appreciate them more anyway). This way you get breakfast and manage to come off looking sensitive.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for crepes and champagne and orange juice; if she's offering let her make something she likes, and try for kippers on New Year's morning later (when you'll have a hangover and appreciate them more anyway). This way you get breakfast and manage to come off looking sensitive.
Oink looking sensitive??? Get real!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 2:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Oink looking sensitive??? Get real!!!
That's just a bonus, besides the kippers have to be poached in milk and water to get salt out but not too much, then drained and fried in butter until golden brown and the skin side slightly crispy. If she's going to be making faces while cooking she isn't going to get it right and he's better off doing it himself anyway. Any points he makes Christmas morning by catering to her go towards him being allowed to stink the kitchen up and drink on New Year's morn, and on that day it may even be advisable to slip her a couple of drinks ahead of time, (maybe get some Shooting Sherry or something). All those algae smoothies have to be worth a little payback.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Have we talked about that annoying and useless water spray thing that Canadian and US supermarkets do?

If not then we should if we have what was said?
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Have we talked about that annoying and useless water spray thing that Canadian and US supermarkets do?
It's a bit awkward for lettuces when you want to bag them but it seems to keep stuff fresh.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's a bit awkward for lettuces when you want to bag them but it seems to keep stuff fresh.
I don't remember Tesco and Waitrose having a problem with freshness. The water just adds extra weight to the goods and provides a nice damp place for bugs to grow, IMHO. If it keeps stuff fresh then why do staff have to trim the rotten bits off?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 12:33 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
I don't remember Tesco and Waitrose having a problem with freshness.
I was never wealthy enough to shop at Waitrose
Maybe the product in the UK doesn't stay on the shelf so long. Cheaper produce combined with more people there wanting to eat healthily, maybe?

With the North American habit of buying lots of fast food, if they do buy healthier perhaps they buy the prepared bagged/trayed stuff.
If it keeps stuff fresh then why do staff have to trim the rotten bits off?
I've never seen that done. They do it my local meat/fruit & veg and everything else store and then sell it for half price.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 1:29 am

Thanks for the advice but the offer has been rescinded due to her setting up the dining room table ready for Christmas dinner. I thought that just entailed putting out plates, knives and forks and crackers but no, it's much more elaborate than that, she's come home with two bags full of Christmas stuff. I'm just waiting for the, 'no lager on the table' legislation.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 1:46 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was never wealthy enough to shop at Waitrose
Maybe the product in the UK doesn't stay on the shelf so long. Cheaper produce combined with more people there wanting to eat healthily, maybe?

With the North American habit of buying lots of fast food, if they do buy healthier perhaps they buy the prepared bagged/trayed stuff.

I've never seen that done. They do it my local meat/fruit & veg and everything else store and then sell it for half price.
Yep, they trim the outside bits off cabbages and sprouts and put them back out for sale.

Dunno about eating healthier there's way more choice of ready meals in the UK but your point about how long stuff stays on the shelf is a good one.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice but the offer has been rescinded due to her setting up the dining room table ready for Christmas dinner. I thought that just entailed putting out plates, knives and forks and crackers but no, it's much more elaborate than that, she's come home with two bags full of Christmas stuff. I'm just waiting for the, 'no lager on the table' legislation.
At least one of you has some class.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
At least one of you has some class.
I know, you can't have Christmas without lager.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.