Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Google moving to Toronto

Google moving to Toronto

Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Google moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Shard
Were you the non-Mennonite driver by any chance?
No, just an onlooker.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It's so fascinating!

I wonder whether my kids could go spend a year with them to learn some hard facts of life?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine is a former Mennonite - he went off for his Rumspringa and decided not to return to his home community, although he is still closely connected to his extended family and acts, in effect, as the Toronto sales agent for their furniture business. He is fascinating to talk to on the subject of Mennonite culture, work ethic, the apprenticeship to craft skills, and so on. He lives with his (non-Mennonite) wife and family in deepest suburbia, and drives a grey Honda.

It's just occurred to me that I have no idea if he can also drive a buggy. I'll have to ask next time we meet...
Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Mennonites in Manitoba, another lot in Saskatchewan, and quite a few in BC.

The Amish in Ontario seem to be the only ones in Canada, apart form the ones now said to be moving to PEI

FWIW .... the famous tenor Ben Heppner grew up in a Mennonite family in Dawson Creek, BC. I don't know whether he is still Mennonite
Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
.... the famous tenor Ben Heppner grew up in a Mennonite family in Dawson Creek, BC. I don't know whether he is still Mennonite
Hey, I listen to a bit of him on Sunday nights at bedtime. The music doesn't interest me at all but he is a really good story teller.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A friend of mine is a former Mennonite - he went off for his Rumspringa and decided not to return to his home community, although he is still closely connected to his extended family and acts, in effect, as the Toronto sales agent for their furniture business. He is fascinating to talk to on the subject of Mennonite culture, work ethic, the apprenticeship to craft skills, and so on. He lives with his (non-Mennonite) wife and family in deepest suburbia, and drives a grey Honda.

It's just occurred to me that I have no idea if he can also drive a buggy. I'll have to ask next time we meet...
I was startled to discover that someone I know from work, a computer person by day and a roller derby Queen by night, is an urban Mennonite. She went to a Mennonite school but one that educates both sexes and does so according to the Ontario curriculum. She has one sister who lives in a traditional Mennonite fashion while the rest of the family lives in a mainstream manner; convertible car, tats, funky house in a gentrifying area. There seems to be as wide a range of devotion within the Mennonite church as there is in the Islamic world.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hey, I listen to a bit of him on Sunday nights at bedtime. The music doesn't interest me at all but he is a really good story teller.

I agree re the Sunday night programme, although I also like operas.

He put out a CD in 1999 called My Secret Heart; Songs of the parlour, stage and silver screen; and described it as "songs my mother wished I sang". Most of the songs are the ones his parents listened to in the 1920s and 30s, and that they used to sing at home.

A very different Heppner!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How large is the population and is it stable or shrinking? Do they submit themselves to modern electronic hospital equipment?
Ive x-rayed a few Amish people in the past. There's a small community north of Bellevile and there are usually a few at the cattle auction. The men have fun and take part in getting the sale animals in and out of the ring. The women sit alone selling eggs.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are still very many Mennonites in the area and up as far as Mount Forest; it's common to see horse and cart traffic jams. Last weekend we passed someone working with a three horse plough.
But they also advertise on the internet, carry cellphones and shop in Walmart.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 11:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
But they also advertise on the internet, carry cellphones and shop in Walmart.
Some do, yes. I used to see them in the No Frills in Shelburne loading up on ice cream.

Recently I was standing in the shop here:

https://www.brubachersharness.ca/

and there was a man speaking into the telephone and you know how they have that slow manner of speaking as if they've arrived from Switzerland yesterday and English is foreign to them and their conversation is discursive? Well he was wearing the kind of uniform they have in the shop, braces and no buttons, and he was explaining "it'll be your spam filter, so it will, the document will be in your junk folder, you'll want to exclude our address from the spam list" and the contrast between the slow moving man in big boots and a bad haircut and the accuracy of his technical grasp just made me smile.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
Ive x-rayed a few Amish people in the past. There's a small community north of Bellevile and there are usually a few at the cattle auction. The men have fun and take part in getting the sale animals in and out of the ring. The women sit alone selling eggs.
Mennonites, of course, have defined gender roles. Men are strong and work in the fields, women are not as strong and so don't do that work. That's why, traditionally, the Mennonite women are educated and the men are not.
Perhaps it's the same with the Amish, maybe only the women can count and so make sales.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 1:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Mennonites, of course, have defined gender roles. Men are strong and work in the fields, women are not as strong and so don't do that work. That's why, traditionally, the Mennonite women are educated and the men are not.
Perhaps it's the same with the Amish, maybe only the women can count and so make sales.
No that's not the case as the men also sell chickens, ducks, puppies. I think they buy animals there too as they are sitting around the sales ring. I think it's a women are inferior thing based on my other dealings with them.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
No that's not the case as the men also sell chickens, ducks, puppies. I think they buy animals there too as they are sitting around the sales ring. I think it's a women are inferior thing based on my other dealings with them.
As someone who sells eggs, I rather resent the suggestion that the activity is inferior. I see myself as being differently empowered.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who sells eggs, I rather resent the suggestion that the activity is inferior. I see myself as being differently empowered.
As someone who would like to sell eggs but can't because the bloody ducks won't lay any, I am not sure how I see myself.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
As someone who would like to sell eggs but can't because the bloody ducks won't lay any, I am not sure how I see myself.
The ducks have heard about people like dbd selling their kids from underneath them!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.