Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:44 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by bats
I never got in to Peaky Blinders, it is miserable with no redeeming qualities.
Another odd thing about PB is that whenever I've watched it with subtitles - because the dialogue in the last series was muffled in parts - there are subtitles for the lyrics in the soundtrack, large parts of which are difficult to make out. Maybe that's just me.

Funny thing about the soundtrack. Much of it doesn't seem appropriate but it works strangely appropriately.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 1:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you with children, my youngest daughter wanted you to know that Paw Patrol Series Four is now on Netflix.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Another odd thing about PB is that whenever I've watched it with subtitles - because the dialogue in the last series was muffled in parts - there are subtitles for the lyrics in the soundtrack, large parts of which are difficult to make out. Maybe that's just me.

Funny thing about the soundtrack. Much of it doesn't seem appropriate but it works strangely appropriately.
That's good that they caption the songs it's not often that happens. It's daft when they just put the name of the music as that means nothing if you don't ha ve a music library in your head, the reference is lost.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Currently watching McMafia, looks promising.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's good that they caption the songs it's not often that happens. It's daft when they just put the name of the music as that means nothing if you don't ha ve a music library in your head, the reference is lost.
Do you find there is often a reference to get?
Maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptake but even at my peak of interest in music it was always the sound that appealed rather than lyrical content.

Unless I had a lyric sheet - great in LP days but too damn small in CDs - allowing me to follow the words attempting to sing along I often had no clue as to what I might be singing. Same thing with movies or books that begin with a quotation - I can never see the connection with what follows.

For me, anything accompanying a movie or TV show is just for dramatic effect or mood. The actual words, even if I could make them out while listening to dialogue, would likely be meaningless. Unless it is the dialogue Dennis Potter style.

The theme song for Peaky Blinders. I've just been reading through the words and I can see it's a really good description of Thomas Shelby but there are only four lines I recognise.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:03 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I rewatched the BBC production of 1984 made in 1984.
The opening scene shows a propoganda film being shown to an audence in Oceania on how it is fighting the enemy Eurasia led by Goldstein. Uncannily, Golstein is seen to be the spitting image of Jeremy Corbyn.
Coincidence I'm sure... but...
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Do you find there is often a reference to get?
Maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptake but even at my peak of interest in music it was always the sound that appealed rather than lyrical content.

Unless I had a lyric sheet - great in LP days but too damn small in CDs - allowing me to follow the words attempting to sing along I often had no clue as to what I might be singing. Same thing with movies or books that begin with a quotation - I can never see the connection with what follows.

For me, anything accompanying a movie or TV show is just for dramatic effect or mood. The actual words, even if I could make them out while listening to dialogue, would likely be meaningless. Unless it is the dialogue Dennis Potter style.

The theme song for Peaky Blinders. I've just been reading through the words and I can see it's a really good description of Thomas Shelby but there are only four lines I recognise.
Oh now I'm disappointed as I always imagined that there was some connection between the words and the drama. (It's a long long time since I could hear music unaided let alone ever make out words to songs. )
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Started watching 'The Frozen Dead' (Glace) on Netflix. A Pyrenees version of Shetland/Hinterland with a troubled male policeman and a capable female assistant.

Quite good so far. Volvo and Subaru must have paid a lot for product placement.

The dubbing can be a bit off putting as the english commentary seems devoid of emotion at times. Not sure if you can get the french dialogue on Netflix Canada somehow but if you are fully conversant in french it may be better.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Started watching 'The Frozen Dead' (Glace) on Netflix.
Quite good so far. Volvo and Subaru must have paid a lot for product placement.
I can't say I noticed when I watched last year, but then one car looks the same as another to me.
They are cars aren't they?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

Done four episodes of La Mante so far - got a few mentions on the movies thread as well as here.

What's with the cross between a motor bike and scooter with four wheels? Never seen one of those before.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 7:13 pm
Oscar nominated

The Sixties
and subsequent decades.

As a big fan of BBC's The Rock 'n' Roll Years (and there was a very good equivalent produced by RTE) I was pleased to discover this CNN produced series. More of the same but from the USA?

I just watched part one and it was more 'documentary' style than The Rock 'n' Roll Years. Hopefully that may change, but it was quite interesting nonetheless.

Sock it to me!

Looking forward to the next part.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

I watched the first two parts of the six so far available on iPlayer.

I enjoyed The Frozen Dead (Glace), two seasons of Witnesses (Les témoins), Trapped, La Mante, Midnight Sun, The Lava Field etc and they were all highly enjoyable.

But Spiral (Engrenages) is the real deal. So nice to have Laure and Gilou back and good to see Audrey Fleurot back in her robes instead of playing an amnesiac mum.

Odd thing in episode one. We see Laure in a hospital gown, going through a strict sterilisation process...washing hands, drying on paper towels, disposing of them by by use of a foot pedal so she's not touching the edge of the bin, then she rubs something else on her hands...before opening the door by holding the door knob in her freshly sterilised hand.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:46 am
limey party pooper

Done four episodes of La Mante so far - got a few mentions on the movies thread as well as here.

What's with the cross between a motor bike and scooter with four wheels? Never seen one of those before.
I had to stop watching halfway through episode 4. Hiding behind my cushion wasn't enough protection!

Didn't see the bike yet but was it one of these?
https://goo.gl/images/1hMfzv
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:18 am
Oscar nominated

Didn't see the bike yet but was it one of these?
https://goo.gl/images/1hMfzv
Looks about right, except his was black. I'm pretty sure it was in the first part but I didn't think anything of it initially. Later I had to play it back because I thought why has this macho man got a motor bike with stabilisers on?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Looks about right, except his was black. I'm pretty sure it was in the first part but I didn't think anything of it initially. Later I had to play it back because I thought why has this macho man got a motor bike with stabilisers on?
Kiri (Channel4) is set in Bristol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.