Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by MillieF
...I also enjoyed White Gold, and I'm not sure why, it's crude and crass but rather amusing...
Trying that out now. Not sure how much mileage there is but it's always nice to see the fourth wall broken.

It's a bit like a British House of Lies.

1983...it's nice to hear the music of the day but the samples are too short.

Who does the lead character remind me of?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix Canada
Cant Pay We'll Take It Away

Reality TV about High Court Enforcement Officers (Sheriffs) in the UK.
They evict families, repossess homes, businesses or seize assets.
You don't get any notice they are coming and they usually give you about 2 hours to move out or pay outstanding monies.

Some funny moments, some really sad stories, some total idiots and the odd threat of violence. Also some scary figures about debt and repossessions in the UK.

I will stick with my own job thank you.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Netflix Canada
Cant Pay We'll Take It Away

Reality TV about High Court Enforcement Officers (Sheriffs) in the UK.
They evict families, repossess homes, businesses or seize assets.
You don't get any notice they are coming and they usually give you about 2 hours to move out or pay outstanding monies.

Some funny moments, some really sad stories, some total idiots and the odd threat of violence. Also some scary figures about debt and repossessions in the UK.

I will stick with my own job thank you.
They are given notice, however many of them are illegal sublets, and many of those affected speak very little English, so it's just that they aren't aware until the baliffs turn up, and, as court appointed people they have some very scary rights, there was one programme where they had to go to the Samsung headquarters, ISTR, to recover a debt of some £25,000, and the usual speil is that if they don't pay they will have to find goods to the value to cover the debt, not too difficult at a place like that
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They are given notice, however many of them are illegal sublets, and many of those affected speak very little English, so it's just that they aren't aware until the baliffs turn up, and, as court appointed people they have some very scary rights, there was one programme where they had to go to the Samsung headquarters, ISTR, to recover a debt of some £25,000, and the usual speil is that if they don't pay they will have to find goods to the value to cover the debt, not too difficult at a place like that
What I was finding that initially they started of with County Court judgements and they do say that the County bailiffs will be giving them notice however many landlords or companies who are owed monies now go to the High Court for this remedy as its quicker and no notice is given about the eviction.
The officers were not impressed with the Councils for telling them not to worry as they would get plenty of notice.
The High Court doesn't give notice.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What I was finding that initially they started of with County Court judgements and they do say that the County bailiffs will be giving them notice however many landlords or companies who are owed monies now go to the High Court for this remedy as its quicker and no notice is given about the eviction.
The officers were not impressed with the Councils for telling them not to worry as they would get plenty of notice.
The High Court doesn't give notice.
Well it makes for 'good' television.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:38 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They did the same at easyjets hq, you owe our claimant 2000 pounds, pay or we impound the next plane to take off ... As if easyjet could do anything else. The bad publicity alone...

However they went to get 20kvfrom an indian guy running a dodgy garage, he got his gang armed with clubs etc, threatened violence, so the police arrived and supervised the stripping of all the garages stock.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Roseanne is reported to be returning. I remember an episode where they were watching Bewitched. IMDB explains it.
Where Becky returns home, the fact that Becky was played by a different actress was actually joked about in the show. Roseanne says that when she came back she barely recognized her. At the end, the Connors are watching an old episode of Bewitched (1964) and discussing switching Darrens, when Jackie says something like, "Well, they were a hit show, they could get away with anything". The new Becky says, "Well, I like the second Darren much better". (self-referencing the fact that she was Becky #2).

On googling, trying to find that little detail to back up my memory, I discovered something about when Roseanne ended and I don't actually remember that happening, so I may have missed it or just forgot it. I'll need to dig out some old episodes to check.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

GBBO I like it... Is it a cardinal sin that I think Noel F is actually quite good in it?..I have always liked his humour Anyone else been watching it?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
GBBO I like it... Is it a cardinal sin that I think Noel F is actually quite good in it?..I have always liked his humour Anyone else been watching it?
I watched one series a few years ago and well, I haven't had the intestinal fortudide to watch another.

HID and I watched the first episode of the 2nd series of Dr Foster, she [HID] liked it, I thought main chaatacter should have been institutionalized and medicated.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 6th 2017 at 6:44 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:28 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I watched one series a few years ago and well, I haven't had the intestinal fortudide to another.

HID and I watched the first episode of the 2nd series of Dr Foster, she [HID] liked it, I thought main chaatacter should have been institutionalized and medicated.
Some of the biccys on episode 2 had me drooling like a dog

Ah - I saw that was back...I actually needed to remind myself what went on in Season 1 - thanks for the nudge, am watching episode 1 season 2
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Paul is Paul- no change there
I hate to admit it but I have a bit of a "thing for Paul

New series of Bake Off
My thoughts-
Prue is fine, a little more scary but I never though Mary was a loss TBH
You, sir are officially off my Christmas card list. Mary Berry looks just like my mom
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:42 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

You, sir are officially off my Christmas card list. Mary Berry looks just like my mom
Her very name is holy!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Her very name is holy!
At least someone gets it.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:39 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Her very name is holy!
No, that would be Halle Berry

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Weirdos
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:33 pm
I need a walk

American Horror Story is back- entitled Cult... typically of not much interest to the culture vultures on here

Back- Mitchell and Webb "sitcom" - very well reviewed- I havent managed to see this yet but seems to be very good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.