Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Not sure when the last thread was done- probably last week and I haven't noticed! Anyhow tell us what you have been watching and should we definitely watch or avoid like the plague.

Happy Valley- Season two. A BBC series, starring Sarah Lancashire as a "gritty" police officer- season one was great, very well acted and well set in Northen England. A definite
Totally agree!!

If season 2 of Happy Valley is anywhere nearly as good as the first one, then thats a must watch!! That was British TV at its best. It was proof that British TV is the best in the world, one of the things i do actually miss form old Blighty actually.

Ive got many of my co workers and friends into many British shows.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you have a lot of time and not a lot of money then a games console isn't a bad purchase really.
Yep, I can believe that.
When I first bought my house back in 84 and money was tight, the TV/VCR rental might have seemed unnecessary but for the price of 2 nights in the pub I could be entertained every night of the week and weekends too.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, in the mail today my two DVDs of the not very well known but brilliant BBC series (x2) Joking Apart.

I've hunted high and low for it online but never found it.

It took them long enough to release it on DVD and even then the only supplier/producer wouldn't sell it outside the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Totally agree!!

If season 2 of Happy Valley is anywhere nearly as good as the first one, then thats a must watch!! That was British TV at its best. It was proof that British TV is the best in the world, one of the things i do actually miss form old Blighty actually.

Ive got many of my co workers and friends into many British shows.
Watched Ep1 of new season last night. If it's anything to go by, the season's going to be a corker. It's a great show. Some of Season 1's characters and some new ones.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, I told you I would miss it!

What, nothing tickles your fancy?? I have watched some great stuff on other people's recommendation which I would never have watched otherwise or are you just a non TV kind of guy?
Oink's GNR recommendation is something I might watch, or some some documentaries, but not that into the many drama series and not at all into the horror of reality TV. Also, find if there's increasingly good content on You Tube these days (including some 'best bits' from talk shows).
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:33 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Oink's GNR recommendation is something I might watch, or some some documentaries, but not that into the many drama series and not at all into the horror of reality TV. Also, find if there's increasingly good content on You Tube these days (including some 'best bits' from talk shows).
Fair enough, each to their own. Im definitely with you on the Reality show rap- I agree - I sometimes watch Youtube for Graham Norton and the like - more the older shows but prefer to get the up to date stuff by streaming it and watch the full show if it is worth it. I have a mixture of sources that I watch but don't have a TV package- never watched it and the commercials drove me mad and.... the bulk of it was shite!
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What gets me is the number of those bizarre travel shows on at the moment that have some ex politician showing you around the history of Britain’s tertiary sewage works or an old luvvie wandering across a field in the Scilly Isles frightening the animals and moaning about the heat. If they want a decent programme like that they should to get my nan to do one on delights of South Yorkshire’s bingo clubs or an exposé on the alleged underworld connections in the British whippet racing scene.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:04 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Endeavour (Season 3) Ended January 24 but likely still available.
Happy Valley (Season 2) Already mentioned.
Jericho
Midsomer Murders (Season 18) Always good for a chuckle three requisite murders per episode.
Shetland (Season3)
Silent Witness (Season 19) Finished Feb 2nd Getting a little long in the tooth, likely still available.
The Secret Life of the Zoo, behind the scenes at Chester Zoo
Vera (Season 6)
War and Peace, just finished last Sunday likely still available.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:08 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a lot of time and not a lot of money then a games console isn't a bad purchase really.
I actually did mean it's gone to a good use, the rest of the cash will probably get wasted and they will at least still have a game box to play when the programme makers are all long gone
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:32 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Endeavour (Season 3) Ended January 24 but likely still available.
Happy Valley (Season 2) Already mentioned.
Jericho
Midsomer Murders (Season 18) Always good for a chuckle three requisite murders per episode.
Shetland (Season3)
Silent Witness (Season 19) Finished Feb 2nd Getting a little long in the tooth, likely still available.
The Secret Life of the Zoo, behind the scenes at Chester Zoo
Vera (Season 6)
War and Peace, just finished last Sunday likely still available.
Gonna give Jericho a try, people seem to like Shetland - I love Chester Zoo so gonna watch that one Cheers TP
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Chester Zoo so gonna watch that one Cheers TP
Does it have johnny morris doing animal voice overs?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:37 pm
I need a walk

Does it have johnny morris doing animal voice overs?
Now there is an anthropomorphic blast from the past!! Him and his lemurs
Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Happy valley was too gritty for me last time so I probably won't be watching this one.
I loved War and Peace, will watch it all again. There's a good documentary on The Romanovs.
Otherwise we watch Endeavour, The Good Wife, midsummer Murders, Murdoch Mysteries.

There's a new series starting next week, The Night Manager, it's from a John Le Carre book. Should be good.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:36 am
I need a walk

Life's too short Warwick Davis- I liked this- didn't take himself too seriously like he did in the second season of An idiot abroad I loved this too- Karl Pilkington does make me chuckle.
I'm binging on the U.S. The Office Dwight and Kevin just crack me up
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Watched Ep1 of new season last night. If it's anything to go by, the season's going to be a corker. It's a great show. Some of Season 1's characters and some new ones.
Looking forward to that then! I thorughly enjoyed the first season, way superior to anything hollywood can cough out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.