Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:54 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Had a few Netflix binges lately...

Another Happy Valley fan here!

Also did Scott and Bailey (which has some of the same actors from Happy Valley) and really enjoyed it. Ended up getting Series 4 from the library because we couldn't wait!

Then I got into The Detectives - its a 'real life' documentary about Manchester's sex crimes unit and super interesting if you like your crime stuff - I can see that Scott & Bailey writers must have got some tips from these guys!

My favourite series so far this year has been The Bridge. I think it might have just dropped off Netflix though. Swedish with subtitles, very dark, great Scandinavian scenery, bit scary, some good plot twists, sometimes, suspense, great characters - loved 'Saga' the cop lady in particular. Found series 2 at the library recently and it was also a good viewing.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Had a few Netflix binges lately...

Another Happy Valley fan here!

Also did Scott and Bailey (which has some of the same actors from Happy Valley) and really enjoyed it. Ended up getting Series 4 from the library because we couldn't wait!

Then I got into The Detectives - its a 'real life' documentary about Manchester's sex crimes unit and super interesting if you like your crime stuff - I can see that Scott & Bailey writers must have got some tips from these guys!

My favourite series so far this year has been The Bridge. I think it might have just dropped off Netflix though. Swedish with subtitles, very dark, great Scandinavian scenery, bit scary, some good plot twists, sometimes, suspense, great characters - loved 'Saga' the cop lady in particular. Found series 2 at the library recently and it was also a good viewing.

If uyou liked 'The Bridge' then you should like 'The Tunnel' English/French versison, two series so far.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Had a few Netflix binges lately...Another Happy Valley fan here!
I suppose definitions of binge watching will vary. Once I finally got around to Breaking Bad I was watching about 3 episodes a day, maybe 4 but not all back to back. Does that count?

A couple of weeks back I got around to Peaky Blinders - half hoping I wouldn't like it and could concentrate on other stuff from my backlog - but I was hooked (not everyone's taste of course) and I was watching 2 or 3 daily until last week when I was right up to date and watching the same day it was shown in the UK.

It was weird having a whole week between episodes.

If you're happy with subtitles and you've not seen Spiral (French - Engrenages) then try that. Brilliant series.

I've not seen The Bridge (in the backlog) but there's a series of stand alone movies about a former social worker turned private detective - Varg Veum in Norway.

They're all individual stories but worth watching in order if you can lay your hands on all of them - which I did via streaming.

I don't know if you're familiar with those "if you liked that you might like this" or "similar" suggestions on Amazon and IMDB but very often they have the most tenuous link or just sharing an actor or something and there's really no reason to think they are similar at all.

However, when it comes to the foreign stuff - Scando especially - the "People who liked this also liked..." suggestions on IMDB are definitely worth investigating. IMDB does TV as well as movies.

On the MBTTUK forum here, there's a thread called Broadchurch and other UK TV. I picked up a lot of useful suggestions there. You get to see who of the regulars there like what and if you share a 'like' it's worth checking something else they recommend.

I recently watched a Brit mini series - Hidden - which was good.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Also on Netflix ... The Last Kingdom - a reasonable enough adaptation of Bernard Cornwells novel of Saxons and Vikings. (And the first of a 9 book ..so far.. Series)
Old Jun 4th 2016, 3:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Also did Scott and Bailey (which has some of the same actors from Happy Valley) and really enjoyed it.
I've wondered about that. I have such a big backlog of things to try I wasn't sure whether to add it, especially as it seems stand alone rather than serial. I made an exception for Varg Veum as they are individual movies, but generally I prefer serials.

But I downloaded the first one to give it a go.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

If you enjoy crime stories have a look at The Secret on ITV. A 4 part true story about a NI fanatically religious dentist who committed a heinous crime and got away with it for close to 20 years before his religion caused the uncovering of the crime. It stars James Nesbitt as the dentist. It's quite the fascinating story.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:52 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've wondered about that. I have such a big backlog of things to try I wasn't sure whether to add it, especially as it seems stand alone rather than serial. I made an exception for Varg Veum as they are individual movies, but generally I prefer serials.

But I downloaded the first one to give it a go.
There are few times that stories continue through the episodes and in the background you have the character development going on in parallel which makes you want to watch the next episode.

Thanks for all the other great tips - will be putting them to good use later!

Also, the libraries here in Calgary are great as they have a lot of UK and foreign stuff and its free to loan. The only hassle is loan for DVD's is just a week, so you might have to fit in 12 episodes of a series now and again ;0

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jun 4th 2016 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember if I said but River was excellent, BBC on Netflix
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Tangram
Can't remember if I said but River was excellent, BBC on Netflix
I have that lined up thanks to the comments of a CBC radio presenter over the weekends.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Also on Netflix ... The Last Kingdom - a reasonable enough adaptation of Bernard Cornwells novel of Saxons and Vikings. (And the first of a 9 book ..so far.. Series)
I enjoyed TLK. It actually covers the first 2 books in the series.

Although Uhtred differed from the physical description in the novels, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second series.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77

Although Uhtred differed from the physical description in the novels, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second series.

I liked that too. Especially the funny names. IMO it was much better than GOT as even after watching the whole of the first season I couldn't take to that.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77

My wife was rather disgusted by that. "Pussy Boy" she muttered....

I was disappointed by the exclusion of Steapa the Stupid but it was nice to see the gym teacher from "Teachers" doing well for himself as a Leothric.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:39 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I too enjoyed TLK. I can't find Peaky Blinders...it's not on Canadian Netflix perhaps? I have just been watching Fleming, about Ian Fleming, and really enjoyed that. Well worth the watch.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
...I can't find Peaky Blinders....
Here's where I've been watching.

But someone else here seems to have been getting some odd results from the links. I've never had any problems with this site.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 2:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Here's where I've been watching.

But someone else here seems to have been getting some odd results from the links. I've never had any problems with this site.
There will be another Peaky Blinders next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.