Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old May 16th 2016, 12:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Enjoyed Doctor Foster
Old May 18th 2016, 12:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Discovered a BBC series from 2011 called Hidden. Thriller. 4 parts.

Very good. One quibble...I always trusted the BBC to show previews of upcoming serials and "in next episode" clips without giving anything away.

But in episode 2 one of the characters at this point very much a good guy, said something that indicated he may not have been so straight as thought.

It didn't necessarily make him a bad guy, he could just have been keeping his cards close to his chest.

But then right at the end in the "next episode" segment and so quick you couldn't have shut it off in time, he is revealed to be a major bad guy.

I'm currently three quarters of the way through ep3 and this 'reveal' has yet to happen and he is still being trusted.

Someone got that badly wrong.
Old May 18th 2016, 12:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have to revise that. Not quite a major bad guy. Still not to be trusted but not the danger one might have thought.

It would still have been better not to have shown that particular part because it still gave away something before it should have.
Old May 18th 2016, 12:56 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Enjoyed Doctor Foster
I'm glad...I would have struck them all off too, Stinky! But I very much enjoyed it!

I'm now into The Paradise...it's not bad, worth a look....
Old May 19th 2016, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

Done with Hidden, now onto Peaky Blinders.

Interesting music choices.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Almost through The Night Manager & enjoying it a lot. What happened to that nice Hugh Laurie though? Plays bumbling fools in Britain, goes off the US and gets all American, Growly & Dark as House and is now British, Growly and Dark as Richard Roper. I blame the septics.
Old May 24th 2016, 12:48 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this has been previously recommended but I'm watching Great canal journeys. Timothy West and Prunella Scales on an assortment of boats on the canala and waterways of the UK and Europe. I'm just into the 2nd season.

It is kind of sad seeing how she is deteriorating with dementia and I would say quite brave to appear so publically- good luck to them. Considering this as well has her age, I'm terrified that she will fall into the water or get squashed by the boats in the locks.

It is actually worth watching this programme just to watch Timothy West play bumper cars with the boats, colliding with just about anything on the water as well as the banks. The people renting the boats out must now cringe. I see it with elderly drivers parking and bumping other cars. In the boats, thankfully they are only going 4 mph but still crash with a loud bang. Worth watching - life at a slower pace.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to watch Great canal journeys... in Bali we don't get good TV but I'll look-out for the DVD today.

Can you please say what channel it's on in BC as I'll be back in Vancouver next week for the summer and love to watch...particularly if it includes the upper region of the Thames and connecting canals...old man reminiscing...
Old May 24th 2016, 1:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I'd love to watch Great canal journeys... in Bali we don't get good TV but I'll look-out for the DVD today.

Can you please say what channel it's on in BC as I'll be back in Vancouver next week for the summer and love to watch...particularly if it includes the upper region of the Thames and connecting canals...old man reminiscing...
It certainly is stuck in a certain age! I actually stream it using Kodi and Exodus add-on rather than it being on a Canadian channel- as far as I'm aware anyhow. Yes, definitely visiting your old haunts!
They are a real couple of actor " luvvies" which I think they freely admit to being.
Old May 25th 2016, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

Almost up to date with Peaky Blinders now.

Like When the boat comes in with added sex and violence.

But it's the music I can't get over. The content just sounds so inappropriate but it works so well, in the same way it did in Breaking Bad.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm not sure if this has been previously recommended but I'm watching Great canal journeys. Timothy West and Prunella Scales on an assortment of boats on the canala and waterways of the UK and Europe. I'm just into the 2nd season.
Thanks for the recommend...I found it's on youtube so had 45 mins of reminiscing ...and more to come.
Old May 26th 2016, 5:13 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Davita
Thanks for the recommend...I found it's on youtube so had 45 mins of reminiscing ...and more to come.
Glad you found it- easy watching- it is funny how Timothy West crashes the boats though
Old May 26th 2016, 6:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Going to give that one a go. Also started River ( see how my mind works ) on Netflix, so far quite interesting.
Old May 27th 2016, 2:36 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Watched the first episode on C4 player and enjoyed it immensely, will carry on down the next canal
Old May 27th 2016, 2:41 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Tangram
Watched the first episode on C4 player and enjoyed it immensely, will carry on down the next canal

It gets a bit samey but is weirdly addictive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.