Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
No, I just want you to acknowledge that Charles and his family benefit from untaxed income from land that belongs to the nation. Hardly makes them independent of the taxpayer.
But that's not the case. Tax is paid on income from the Duchy of Cornwall, after deduction of "official expenditure" in much the same way as any other landowner deducts expenses from tax liabilities. The only significant difference is that the NAO does not audit those expenses nor the tax paid - in that regard, I would agree that there is a case for an external audit of the tax situation, but it is absolutely a matter of public record (and has been since the Duchy was granted to Charles in 1969) that income tax is paid on the estate income.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Nov 29th 2017 at 3:24 pm. Reason: missed out a word
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you're spinning it that he pays no tax on it despite paying 45% on the profits rather than the 20% Corp Tax would take? That's quite the spin.
No, the point is that they go to great lengths to describe it as a private estate when it isn't. The spin is saying that they're not funded by the nation.
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

No, I just want you to acknowledge that Charles and his family benefit from untaxed income from land that belongs to the nation. Hardly makes them independent of the taxpayer.
Yes but does how does it belong to the nation? its been owned by the crown for centuries.

If I owned a substantial portion of land that had been handed down through family generations, why would I give it up?

I think its good that they are putting the land to good use, what else would anyone do with the land? and lets not forget that the that is only part of the Duchy of Cornwall, a lot of it comes from financial investments too.
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

But Prince Charles didn't buy it.
Sure, and my mum lives in a house that she inherited from her parents. What's your point?
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, I just want you to acknowledge that Charles and his family benefit from untaxed income from land that belongs to the nation.
But it's not untaxed, that's the point. £4.4 million a year is a pretty hefty tax bill by anybody's standards surely?

But Prince Charles didn't buy it.
My father didn't buy the farm he inherited from his parents either (who in turn, inherited it from my great-grandparents), does that mean you think he should have given it up to share with everybody else as well then?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Sure, and my mum lives in a house that she inherited from her parents. What's your point?
The point is that your suggestion of equivalence to a rock star who bought an estate is flawed.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:25 pm
Magnificently Withering

The point is that your suggestion of equivalence to a rock star who bought an estate is flawed.
why?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

But it's not untaxed, that's the point. £4.4 million a year is a pretty hefty tax bill by anybody's standards surely?

My father didn't buy the farm he inherited from his parents either (who in turn, inherited it from my great-grandparents), does that mean you think he should have given it up to share with everybody else as well then?
Isn't that called communism?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a problem there in that the only way people can become farmers is to inherit farms and the people who inherit farms are obliged to be farmers. That may not make the best use of the land or the talents of the people involved. However, it's not obvious to me that there's a better arrangement so the best we can hope is that the people who have farming thrust upon them make a good job of it. Like Princes.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is a problem there in that the only way people can become farmers is to inherit farms and the people who inherit farms are obliged to be farmers. That may not make the best use of the land or the talents of the people involved. However, it's not obvious to me that there's a better arrangement so the best we can hope is that the people who have farming thrust upon them make a good job of it. Like Princes.
My father never farmed (neither did my grandfather - the war scuppered that one), they had tenant farmers. They paid tax on the profits in their personal tax return but never registered the land as a company. So pretty much exactly the same as Prince Charles, albeit on a somewhat different (and less profitable) scale!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:28 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. I have been tussling with this a little bit. She seems a bit awkward, Diana style , though I am loathe to write that.

A part of me feels that Chelsy Davy was likely 'the one' but she did not wish to have the 24/7 365days intrusions where your life is actually not your own to live .

I believe they remain good friends.
Chelsy Davy was 'the one' looking at pics, but can't blame her for not wanting the lifestyle. Shame as she seemed much better than the current choice.....
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
she seemed much better than the current choice.....
How so?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
A part of me feels that Chelsy Davy was likely 'the one'
Never heard of her. I wonder why I noticed this one?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I am very pleased for them they seem very well suited. I just hope that nothing from her past (when she was a struggling actress) comes back to haunt them, the gutter press will be relentless in there efforts to find something, remember Andrew and Koo Stark?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I am very pleased for them they seem very well suited. I just hope that nothing from her past (when she was a struggling actress) comes back to haunt them, the gutter press will be relentless in there efforts to find something, remember Andrew and Koo Stark?
I do. It is about time the RF stopped meddling in relationships. Koo Stark has proved to be in a different league to Ferguson...she has never spilled the beans on her affair with Air Miles Andy. Unlike his unscrupulous, money grabbing ex wife. IMO they should have allowed Charles to marry Camilla when they were young. If they had done so perhaps Diana would be happily married and still alive now. Same applies to Princess Margaret and Townsend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.