Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not his status but that of the charities and organisations he supports. Perhaps you have him confused with Kanye West.
It's called goodwill advertising, for himself.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's called goodwill advertising, for himself.
Allow me to signal my virtue, it is that I am untroubled by charitable endeavors by the rich and famous (except Bono, of course).
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to signal my virtue, it is that I am untroubled by charitable endeavors by the rich and famous (except Bono, of course).
I find all private charity and philanthropy to be problematic. It perversely concentrates power and it lets society/government off the for hook for caring, supporting and investing in other humans.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I find all private charity and philanthropy to be problematic. It perversely concentrates power and it lets society/government off the for hook for caring, supporting and investing in other humans.
Keep your pennies then, let society be to blame. The rest of us will do what we can and take pleasure in the fact that this couple both seem charitably minded.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an erroneous concern. It's a facile argument to suggest that without a monarchy there'll a dramatic reduction in the market of tea towels and snow globes. Who cares? Even one penny of public money spent on the monarchy is an affront to human dignity.

If Harry had anything about him, he'd renounce his titles, apologize for participating in such a disgusting pantomime, give all his money to the state and go and get a job.
With Oink on this one.

You could switch the Monarchy out with a President. All the palaces and castles aren't going anywhere. The revenue needles would probably increase.

Harry was a penis. After military school, combat and losing several friends from military school (who died in combat) he seems to have become a better example to people.

Best of luck to Megs and Haz.

However the monarchy has no place in the 21st century. It's more ludicrous than any religion.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 29th 2017 at 1:57 am.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
With Oink on this one.

You could switch the Monarchy out with a President. All the palaces and castles aren't going anywhere. The revenue needles would probably increase.

Harry was a penis. After military school, combat and losing several friends from military school (who died in combat) he seems to have become a better example to people.

Best of luck to Megs and Haz.

However the monarchy has no place in the 21st century it's more ludicrous than any religion.
But less ludicrous than the President.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I shouldn't think 'the Establishment' will give two hoots if he marries her (heirs to the throne can get away with wild behaviour and marrying those considered less suitable - see Princess Margaret's life for a similar story!).

The press might, but if it shakes the bloody Daily Mail up (it was in there that her mother was described in such an awful way I think) then that can only be a good thing IMO.

Only thing is, she's a bit ugly isn't she? I mean really, could he not have found somebody that looks a bit better than her.
Yeah but she looks just like Pippa during the engagement interview...who looks very much like her sister Kate.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah but she looks just like Pippa during the engagement interview...who looks very much like her sister Kate.
That thought brightens things up a bit.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

But less ludicrous than the President.
& less problematic & even less expensive than some elected Heads of State Republics who seem to have no head or sense.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes. I have been tussling with this a little bit. She seems a bit awkward, Diana style , though I am loathe to write that.

A part of me feels that Chelsy Davy was likely 'the one' but she did not wish to have the 24/7 365days intrusions where your life is actually not your own to live .

I believe they remain good friends.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:00 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Financially, it's all a bit of a wash, at least to the likes of you and me, that is. A few pennies a week each up or down. But it's a lot better on their side of the equation, that's for sure.

Harry likes to play the 'ordinary chap' schtick, and I'm sure he probably believes it himself, but the truth is that the Royal Family are an anachronism which ought to be sidelined at every opportunity. Getting the country to go all gooey over a wedding is going in the wrong direction.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
But it's a lot better on their side of the equation, that's for sure.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The Queen may be a heck of a lot richer than I, have no money worries and have several homes to choose from.

But she's also still working in her 90's, has her every move scrutinised, can't ever be free to do what she actually want to do ('I think I'd like to be a teacher/hairdresser/road sweeper'.....oh, but I get no choice in my life), has to be 'public' all the time, has to spend hours making small talk with pointless people (over 16,000 public engagements in her lifetime ), etc. Even last year she had 332 royal engagements, so a grand total of 33 days off in a year at 90 years old? No thanks.

I guess it depends on whether you value financial security or happiness more, and I know which I'd choose. As I said above, I wouldn't swap places with them for anything. I'll take my life with my pathetic one house and money worries, but the freedom to do what I want thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:28 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I enjoyed seeing them on the news. I liked how they looked at each other, how she held onto him. It's good to see some outright happiness and love.
I agree. They were lovely.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:02 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The Queen may be a heck of a lot richer than I, have no money worries and have several homes to choose from.

But she's also still working in her 90's, has her every move scrutinised, can't ever be free to do what she actually want to do ('I think I'd like to be a teacher/hairdresser/road sweeper'.....oh, but I get no choice in my life), has to be 'public' all the time, has to spend hours making small talk with pointless people (over 16,000 public engagements in her lifetime ), etc. Even last year she had 332 royal engagements, so a grand total of 33 days off in a year at 90 years old? No thanks.

I guess it depends on whether you value financial security or happiness more, and I know which I'd choose. As I said above, I wouldn't swap places with them for anything. I'll take my life with my pathetic one house and money worries, but the freedom to do what I want thanks.
Agree entirely from a personal point of view. But Harry here is currently 5th in line to the throne, he will never be monarch. Why do we need such a bloated Royal family?

The Queen is on the throne, we've been paying for her son for 70 years to be understudy, paying for HIS son for 30-odd years, and now paying for HIS son... how many other jobs do you hire the person doing the job and the next 4 people who will do it? Think about it, it's ridiculous.

I'm not a monarchist but I'm not strongly in favour of abolition or republicanism. I do think the monarchy should be severely trimmed down and made less ostentatious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.