Gin!

Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Gin!

Originally Posted by bats
Depends on whose home! In the absence of sloes it's the only way to go
Ooh no... I much prefer damson gin (or vodka)... much plumier
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I couldn't agree more Hannah it doesn't seem autumn without the joy of brambling and picking sloes....I did plant a blackberry bush which turned its toes up after two years....do any parts of Canada have blackberries growing wild? Did any well meaning Victorians plant them anywhere you are that may have run amok and survived?

I have spent a few weekends killing Japanese Knotweed here in NB, the noxious winters haven't given the stuff any problems and it's thriving here...just not brambles!

All over the Lower Mainland of BC, growing like weeds (literally!) anywhere they can ..... very common along rail tracks, sides of roads, any undeveloped land, etc etc, especially the very large Himalayan blackberry (which is probably the ones that are sold in the stores).

Also found on some of the Gulf Islands, and probably on Vancouver Island

We used to have 2 or 3 excellent sites to go picking ................ we get 3 or 4 4-litre ice-cream buckets at a time. Then freeze to make pies in the winter, or make jam.

Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hannah ...... not sure where you live.

If in Vancouver, OH has found the First Nations-run liquor store at the old Fraser Arms on Southwest Marine Drive to be at least $2 or $3 dollars cheaper than the government stores.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scilly
All over the Lower Mainland of BC, growing like weeds (literally!) anywhere they can ..... very common along rail tracks, sides of roads, any undeveloped land, etc etc, especially the very large Himalayan blackberry (which is probably the ones that are sold in the stores).

Also found on some of the Gulf Islands, and probably on Vancouver Island

We used to have 2 or 3 excellent sites to go picking ................ we get 3 or 4 4-litre ice-cream buckets at a time. Then freeze to make pies in the winter, or make jam.

Any wild ones in the Okanagan?!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
Hannah ...... not sure where you live.

If in Vancouver, OH has found the First Nations-run liquor store at the old Fraser Arms on Southwest Marine Drive to be at least $2 or $3 dollars cheaper than the government stores.
Ooh good to know! I'm in Summerland - I'll see if there are any first nation liquor stores nearby. Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah1001
Any wild ones in the Okanagan?!
Castanet • Wild Blackberries - View topic

When I discovered Saskatoon berries growing in the hills above Oliver I got really excited and picked a bunch, only to find that they were no good, too woody and not enough pulp to use for anything. Good luck with the blackberries.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think so .............. the climate could be wrong for them.

I know my sister-in-law from Smithers went wild when they discovered blackberries growing near one of the ferry terminals on the Island, had her family pick as many as they had containers for ............ and then had to beg the use of our kitchen to make jam as they were not immediately going back home.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

The duty free shop on the way back from the US is a lot cheaper if you can do that. Then you can use the good stuff and its still cheaper than getting ripped off in Canada.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The booze is the same price in the store here. I was disappointed to say the least. Gas is cheaper but not booze.

Originally Posted by hannah1001
Ooh good to know! I'm in Summerland - I'll see if there are any first nation liquor stores nearby. Thanks