Gin!

Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough
Default Gin!

Does anyone know where I can buy cheap gin?!

Winter isn't right without damson/sloe gin.... I've located BC damsons (after some searching and blank looks!) and now need the gin. I was obviously spoilt with the £10 Aldi gin in the UK... It just doesn't seem right to make it with super expensive stuff.
Anyone located cheap booze?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gin!

BC liquor store

Gilbeys 750ml for $21.99 which looks to be the cheapest.

Don't know what price it is stateside or whether it's worth a day trip to load up on Gin
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more Hannah it doesn't seem autumn without the joy of brambling and picking sloes....I did plant a blackberry bush which turned its toes up after two years....do any parts of Canada have blackberries growing wild? Did any well meaning Victorians plant them anywhere you are that may have run amok and survived?

I have spent a few weekends killing Japanese Knotweed here in NB, the noxious winters haven't given the stuff any problems and it's thriving here...just not brambles!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
....do any parts of Canada have blackberries growing wild?...
As well as picking them as a child, I used to pick loads on the Bristol-Bath cyclepath in adulthood.

At first it seemed odd paying for them here, but boy are they beautiful!

Sometimes almost as big as my thumb, very juicy and no 'hairy' bits.

Not sure why but I expected to see you on a Gin thread.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 1:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I couldn't agree more Hannah it doesn't seem autumn without the joy of brambling and picking sloes....I did plant a blackberry bush which turned its toes up after two years....do any parts of Canada have blackberries growing wild? Did any well meaning Victorians plant them anywhere you are that may have run amok and survived?

I have spent a few weekends killing Japanese Knotweed here in NB, the noxious winters haven't given the stuff any problems and it's thriving here...just not brambles!
We found a good lot of blackberries a couple of years ago around Ball's Falls near St Catherine's. I guess the climate on the Niagara peninsula is kind enough that brambles survive the winters. Nobody else was picking any on the day we went - we picked enough for a decent family-sized blackberry and apple crumble... but I mustn't tell anybody about them otherwise the secret will be out
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As well as picking them as a child, I used to pick loads on the Bristol-Bath cyclepath in adulthood.

At first it seemed odd paying for them here, but boy are they beautiful!

Sometimes almost as big as my thumb, very juicy and no 'hairy' bits.

Not sure why but I expected to see you on a Gin thread.
I completely agree about the blackberries! We paid to do PYO.... It was strange to pay but wow, worth every cent! They were huge and juicy... much better than UK ones.

That doesn't help me in my quest for cheap gin though 😉! I guess it'll have to be pricey damson gin this year!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah1001
...That doesn't help me in my quest for cheap gin though 😉
Three options - bootlegging, smuggling or the legal one

Find some other item that is much cheaper where you live than it was in the UK. Then price up the cost of the Gin plus the other item in the UK and compare it to the Gin and the other item in Canada so the price here is better.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Three options - bootlegging, smuggling or the legal one

Find some other item that is much cheaper where you live than it was in the UK. Then price up the cost of the Gin plus the other item in the UK and compare it to the Gin and the other item in Canada so the price here is better.
I like the idea! Only thing I can find cheaper here than the UK is petrol though. BC certainly is expensive! Though who cares when it's still 25 degrees and sunny, and I live on a lake? 😄

Maybe I need to set up a distillery. Not sure I can wait that long though 😉
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:06 pm
Oscar nominated

I like the idea! Only thing I can find cheaper here than the UK is petrol though. ...
There you go then, just don't mix the two up.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

There you go then, just don't mix the two up.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Dr Bombay and I are watching Dr Strangelove together this afternoon. A friend in Vancouver used to rent a house with amazing blackberry bushes in the back, I wish we had them on the prairies.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caretaker
Dr Bombay and I are watching Dr Strangelove together this afternoon. A friend in Vancouver used to rent a house with amazing blackberry bushes in the back, I wish we had them on the prairies.
Lunchtime gin drinking... I like your style! 🤣

I'm hoping I can grow some blackberries when we get our own place. I could open a PYO for expats... just ask for gin donations in return 😉
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

LCBO sells sloe gin.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
LCBO sells sloe gin.
Never as good as homemade! 😉
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:12 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Never as good as homemade! 😉
Depends on whose home! In the absence of sloes it's the only way to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.