Genealogy

Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:14 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Genealogy

[QUOTE=Calgal]
Originally Posted by andy_sheila

Cheers! But I much prefer your other offer - and I'm holding you to it!
i never offer unless i'm prepared to go through with it, i stand by my word and if the situation ever arises, you will find that out for a fact.
Thanks again
Andy
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

One of my earliest relatives .... Old Uncle Joe
Attached Thumbnails Genealogy-chimpanzie_thumbs_up.gif  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:54 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
One of my earliest relatives .... Old Uncle Joe
Early, like 5:00 am, early?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Early, like 5:00 am, early?
You must click on him ..to get the wink........
and its 12.15AM
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Ray
You must click on him ..to get the wink........
and its 12.15AM
Ah!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:48 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother (a Scot) decided to trace her line last year. She was going to do her mother's side but a relative told her that her father's side would be more interesting. She got back, in a direct line, well over 1000 years and possibly as far as 834AD. It turned out to be easier than she had expected, mainly because the names involved (Duff and Athole) are of families with long and well-documented histories. The Book of Duff sits in Scotland's national museum.

One of my ancestors, Isabella, Countess of Buchan, crowned Robert Bruce at Scone in 1306 and was subsequently caged by Edward 1st for three years.

My mother, utter snob that she is, particularly likes this bit: Alexander Duff, 6th Earl, married HRH Princess Louise, daughter of King Edward VII, in Buckingham Palace in 1889. Created Duke of Fife.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:18 pm

I have tried to trace my family tree but I've hit some deadends

One grandmother was a Newfie and was born on Fogo Island when Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada and Britain didn't really want much to do with it. Record keeping wasn't a priority so she never officially existed. I have no idea where her family was from.

I have a Scottish grand-dad who played for Motherwell FC before he immigrated to Canada. I have his boarding papers, a list of what he brought over and some poems and thoughts he wrote on the journey over (which are very cool to read). I went to Motherwell when I first came to the UK to see where he came from and that was a surreal experience for me.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I have tried to trace my family tree but I've hit some deadends

One grandmother was a Newfie and was born on Fogo Island when Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada and Britain didn't really want much to do with it. Record keeping wasn't a priority so she never officially existed. I have no idea where her family was from.

I have a Scottish grand-dad who played for Motherwell FC before he immigrated to Canada. I have his boarding papers, a list of what he brought over and some poems and thoughts he wrote on the journey over (which are very cool to read). I went to Motherwell when I first came to the UK to see where he came from and that was a surreal experience for me.
One of the electricians here last week was from Motherwell...never been, will have to go. The Central Belt is very different to England....
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by yonk
One of the electricians here last week was from Motherwell...never been, will have to go. The Central Belt is very different to England....
The first thing I saw when I got off the train was a very drunk elderly man who had just peed himself. I tried not to let that influence how I saw the place but... well.... though interesting from a personal family history point of view and the people I met were generally very friendly, I couldn't help thinking, 'Well, no wonder grand dad left!'.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:28 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Calgal.
Fascinating stuff.
Perhaps you should move the thread to the Barbie as I hear most aussies have trouble tracing their family trees back to as far as their father.