Gender Pronouns

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 8:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender Pronouns

I'm not sure "cis" is improperly used, except inasmuch as it's a prefix and shouldn't stand on its own as a separate word. The nuances of its meaning are definitely changing, though

Its most memorable application in the Roman empire was that the bit of Gaul on the same side of the Alps as Rome - containing parts of what are now Switzerland and Italy as well as the very southeastern corner of France - was known as "cisalpine Gaul." As opposed to the bits on the far side of the Alps - most of the rest of France - which was transalpine Gaul.

In chemistry it's used in labelling isomers of compounds where there's a physical characteristic that, in one isomer, has two similar groups on the same side of a non-rotating bond (the cis- isomer) and the other isomer has the two groups on opposite sides of the bond (the trans- isomer).

Its use as a label for gender identity is a relatively recent phenomenon, and like so much recent jargon in this and many other fields, has misappropriated a term to such an extent that, though it's supposed to be a neutral-toned descriptive, has become at least barbed if not downright pejorative in usage.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 8:01 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

they are all a bunch of Wayne Kerr's if you ask me..anybody who identifies as being gender neutral or gender fluid should be classified as men/boys because they are load of pricks
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 8:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[
Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I

In chemistry it's used in labelling isomers of compounds where there's a physical characteristic that, in one isomer, has two similar groups on the same side of a non-rotating bond (the cis- isomer) and the other isomer has the two groups on opposite sides of the bond (the trans- isomer).
I'd be slightly impressed if you didn't google that.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure "cis" is improperly used, except inasmuch as it's a prefix and shouldn't stand on its own as a separate word. The nuances of its meaning are definitely changing, though

Its most memorable application in the Roman empire was that the bit of Gaul on the same side of the Alps as Rome - containing parts of what are now Switzerland and Italy as well as the very southeastern corner of France - was known as "cisalpine Gaul." As opposed to the bits on the far side of the Alps - most of the rest of France - which was transalpine Gaul.

Its use as a label for gender identity is a relatively recent phenomenon, and like so much recent jargon in this and many other fields, has misappropriated a term to such an extent that, though it's supposed to be a neutral-toned descriptive, has become at least barbed if not downright pejorative in usage.
So I suppose that it should be cisperson, or cishuman? I know that there arguments over how the words transsexual and transgender are used so using cis and trans as standalone adjectives avoids that. Cis is definitely used as an insult among current feminists. They might be new wave feminists but I can't recall the exact terminology.

Last edited by bats; Nov 22nd 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that recent a phenomenon, there was a schism in the talkboard that replaced the Guardian one over the, arguably, inappropriate use of terminology by the cisgendered. That must have been ten years ago. It was certainly before transgender issues were much in the mainstream. At that time misuse of the cis prefix was solely a feminist thing. I lost track of the gender stereotyping issues when the feminists threw a hissy fit and flounced off to create their own board.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
[

Nonsense. That's a-level chemistry at most. I remember that, although my explanation would have been less clear, and that's 30 years ago for me.

Did you know that as well as the better known Transkei, there is also a Ciskei region of South Africa?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not that recent a phenomenon, there was a schism in the talkboard that replaced the Guardian one over the, arguably, inappropriate use of terminology by the cisgendered. That must have been ten years ago. It was certainly before transgender issues were much in the mainstream. At that time misuse of the cis prefix was solely a feminist thing. I lost track of the gender stereotyping issues when the feminists threw a hissy fit and flounced off to create their own board.
That 'hissy fit' couldn't possibly relate to the objection by feminists to having their sex and/or gender 'qualified' by trans rights activists as 'cis' rather than the 'female' they feel is necessary in the fight to retain women's rights in areas as diverse as sport, and safe spaces, particularly in relation to those who 'identify' as women, rather than those who have transitioned. And if that makes me a terf, I can live with that. If not with the threats, and online abuse that label usually attracts.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Nov 22nd 2017 at 11:57 pm. Reason: Spell check is SO last decade
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
That 'hissy fit' couldn't possibly relate to the objection by feminists to having their sex and/or gender 'qualified' by trans rights activists as 'cis' rather than the 'female' they feel is necessary in the fight to retain women's rights in areas as diverse as sport, and safe spaces, particularly in relation to those who 'identify' as women, rather than those who have transitioned.
It's a decade ago but, yes, my impression was that the nub of the thing was that women, in non-academic terms, actual women, felt usurped by persons identifying as women who, in the view of the actual women, were not women at all. Everyone objected to everyone else's idea of feminism with an intensity usually reserved for Israel/Palestine discussions and an internet safe space was established losing this casually interested viewer. Does that mansplain it?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a decade ago but, yes, my impression was that the nub of the thing was that women, in non-academic terms, actual women, felt usurped by persons identifying as women who, in the view of the actual women, were not women at all. Everyone objected to everyone else's idea of feminism with an intensity usually reserved for Israel/Palestine discussions and an internet safe space was established losing this casually interested viewer. Does that mansplain it?
Perfectly
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
...terf...
I learned a new term today. Or should that go in the WILT thread?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I learned a new term today. Or should that go in the WILT thread?
WILT thread (next time). Too many new terms on this thread and they are all sloblocks.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Too many new terms on this thread and they are all sloblocks.
Flobadob
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Flobadob
C'est quoi?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shard
WILT
A natural reaction to discussion of feminism.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:26 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
[

remembered from A-level chemistry. I was intrigued by the word (not so much by the isometry, I'm afraid) as I'd only come across it before when doing Latin prose translations from Caesar's De Bella Gallica.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.