Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Food we're going to miss

Food we're going to miss

Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food we're going to miss

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Yes, that's the stuff I buy. It's OK. Just OK.
I bought some once when there was some reason not to go to the market, before we found the Mennonite butcher. It seemed to be mainly water and was sliced as thin as pastrami. It's meat protein but calling it bacon is a stretch.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chuffinora
A choux bun with a cherry on top?!! eclairs with sweet iced piping no wonder I haven't tried them

Ok one other thing the missus reminded me we can't get Pork Crackling, have not found a butcher here that will sell pork that roasts with a crackling.

We had a butcher here who did just that, and told us how to cook it to get the best result.

Unfortunately he has now retired, but there are several other butchers that we are going to try to get pork crackling from

At the moment, we much prefer pork tenderloin
Old Feb 10th 2018, 3:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I bought some once when there was some reason not to go to the market, before we found the Mennonite butcher. It seemed to be mainly water and was sliced as thin as pastrami. It's meat protein but calling it bacon is a stretch.
Really? I don't find it so at all - very little water and a lot thicker than 'Canadian bacon'
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Canada for 25 years. I cannot believe after 6 pages in this thread, nobody has mentioned the one food I miss from UK. (So much I had to come out of lurk mode.)

Fresh cream choux buns (Or eclairs, or custard slice)

In Ottawa the pastries are filled with some yucky rubbish. Every trip back to Blighty my first day treat is a fresh cream pastry.

Ok carry on, back to lurking.
Walmart, Fortinos and Metro sell frozen fresh cream profiteroles, cream filled chocolate eclairs and custard filled choux buns.. I discovered them just before christmas and was pleasantly surprised at how good the profiteroles were! I melted some chocolate to pour over them and they were as good as any I had in the UK. They are also known as 'cream puffs' here.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/our-fin.../6000069852825
https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_C...prod50006.html
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...t=firefox-b-ab
https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_C...fiteroles.html
https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_C...i-eclairs.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 10th 2018 at 4:19 am.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Canada for 25 years. I cannot believe after 6 pages in this thread, nobody has mentioned the one food I miss from UK. (So much I had to come out of lurk mode.)

Fresh cream choux buns (Or eclairs, or custard slice)

In Ottawa the pastries are filled with some yucky rubbish. Every trip back to Blighty my first day treat is a fresh cream pastry.

Ok carry on, back to lurking.
There's that place in Byward Market that sells gluten free and regular caked I'm sure they used real cream.

A choux bun with a cherry on top?!! eclairs with sweet iced piping no wonder I haven't tried them

Ok one other thing the missus reminded me we can't get Pork Crackling, have not found a butcher here that will sell pork that roasts with a crackling.
We get picnic shoulder from Independent. It has the skin on. Husband roasts it in the grill and gets great crackling.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well it sounded like you were desperate for the real cream, so just take the icing off. I do. Or just eat the bottom half, making sure you get the lion's share of the cream of course.

Now that does surprise me. Well, it amazes me actually. I'd have guessed you were out in the sticks from reading that but you say Ottawa? Is there a law against it there? It's absolutely normal in the supermarkets here.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Indian groceries sell chocolate that is imported from the UK (Dairy Milk, for example). I'm sure, though, someone will complain they are expensive. They also sell British biscuits - and they are cheaper than in regular supermarkets. (For those in the USA try Job Lot for really cheap British foodstuff.) Undoubtedly, Canada does have local chocolatiers who make European-style candy much the same as they do in the USA. And, I'm sure you can find imported chocolate from Europe in Vancouver. You just have to be willing to shell out for it.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody ever tried Country ham? The kind used to make the redeye gravy and biscuits?
Old Feb 10th 2018, 3:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
Has anybody ever tried Country ham? The kind used to make the redeye gravy and biscuits?
Yes, it’s delicious, especially for breakfast with grits and an egg. We used get sent a whole one for Christmas, probably not good if you have high blood pressure.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

You have to eat it in small doses because of that salt level. I order it from Ray's which is in NC or Tennessee, I forget. It's very good. It really does leave a red eye in the pan! I'm childlike in what amazes me, lol.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we call in Australia "middle bacon":

You get the best of both worlds. I can't remember whether I was able to get something similar when I lived in London. I do remember that the Ginger Pig supplied wonderful bacon!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
This is what we call in Australia "middle bacon":

https://www.butlerandbentley.com.au/...2)-600x600.jpg

You get the best of both worlds. I can't remember whether I was able to get something similar when I lived in London. I do remember that the Ginger Pig supplied wonderful bacon!
You used to be able to get middle bacon. Used to as in years ago and I can't remember if it had the back bit on or whether it was just wider and less fatty streaky
Old Feb 14th 2018, 1:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bats
You used to be able to get middle bacon. Used to as in years ago and I can't remember if it had the back bit on or whether it was just wider and less fatty streaky
Still can

https://www.kendallsfarmbutchers.co....n/c0-3399-3399

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/292310365

I used to buy it from my local butcher, but that was a fair few years ago.