Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Flying a puppy from the UK to Vancouver

Flying a puppy from the UK to Vancouver

Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying a puppy from the UK to Vancouver

After months of searching, we have been unable to find the type of puppy we are looking for here in Canada. We are therefor looking at the possibility of flying one over from the UK and wondered if anyone had experience doing the same, while not actually being on the flight with the pet.

I got a quote from Petair which came back at £1,022, which isn't bad but still fairly expensive. Are there any other options we could look at? Such as my parents who live in the UK buy a crate, take him to the airport and we collect him at the other end?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 8:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying a puppy from the UK to Vancouver

A puppy ? Don't, find an alternative here.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
A puppy ? Don't, find an alternative here.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 9:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

A mate of mine was looking for a tapir, not the usual type but a woolly or mountain tapir. Apparently you can't find those ones in Vancouver or the lower mainland so he had to get it from Ecuador. He had it shipped by boat and said the cost was fairly reasonable.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 10:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
After months of searching, we have been unable to find the type of puppy we are looking for here in Canada. We are therefor looking at the possibility of flying one over from the UK and wondered if anyone had experience doing the same, while not actually being on the flight with the pet.

I got a quote from Petair which came back at £1,022, which isn't bad but still fairly expensive. Are there any other options we could look at? Such as my parents who live in the UK buy a crate, take him to the airport and we collect him at the other end?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Most companies will NOT transport a puppy under a certain age, so you had better check before buying. I certainly wouldn't want to do it, and certainly suspect that pretty well every type of dog is available in Canada unless they are a banned species.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried that small country to the South of Canada?
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't.

Do bear in mind that holds are often an unsuitable (and potentially unheated) place for a puppy...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...panied-887394/

What breed of dog are you looking for? I'm sure someone will be able to track one down a lot damn closer than the UK for you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 11th 2017 at 11:48 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
After months of searching, we have been unable to find the type of puppy we are looking for here in Canada.
Can I ask what breed of dog it is that you are searching for?
Old Nov 12th 2017, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

I used Transfur to bring our dog from Somerset to Vancouver in September. It cost around £1200 and they were fantastic. That said, our dog is 5yrs. He was ok but rather dazed and confused, hot and very hungry... it's not something I'd do lightly. It involved a 3hr drive to London, at least 3hrs before boarding, a 9.5hr flight, then 3hrs in customs. I was told that he would come out of his crate for a bit before boarding (other companies don't allow that) but otherwise he was in a crate all that time, and wasn't allowed any food. They don't transport puppies under 3mths, and I personally wouldn't do it with an older puppy.

Surely you can find a pup somewhere in north America? If not I'd be tempted to bring over a pair of dogs to breed with... you could make a fortune from the pups!
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
A mate of mine was looking for a tapir, not the usual type but a woolly or mountain tapir. Apparently you can't find those ones in Vancouver or the lower mainland so he had to get it from Ecuador. He had it shipped by boat and said the cost was fairly reasonable.
Boat is the only way with those Oink, the wooly variety don't like flying (much like puppies).