Florida rentals?

Old Feb 26th 2018, 11:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida rentals?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Key West, perhaps? I've heard the Old Town in particular is pedestrian friendly.

I liked Key West well enough. We rented a convertible in Miami and drove down there, it's like a gay French Quarter. Any of those places along the highway from Miami south would be fine for a long weekend of laying in the sun and beach barring. I also liked Melbourne Beach though I was there for work; there's nothing to do but that's the point.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From my point of view it wouldn't be "the typical holiday" so much as just moving "home" for a month.
Precisely what we had in mind!

Hang in the sun by a pool, maybe catch a game at TBL, BBQ's on the deck, check out Cape Canaveral etc. I have been to FL many times and have no illusions.

Year after that, maybe a trip to TX to catch up on some in-laws, after that, maybe AZ (love that place) etc.....
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at the temperatures earlier. 30/35 with the feels like today but a few degrees cooler the rest of the week.

Just out of curiosity is there anywhere in Florida easy to get to from an airport (no car hire) and where everything (shops, bars, restaurants, beach, park, cinema) is close together (on foot) like one might find in so many European places like Corfu, Kos and Rhodes Towns, Chania, Juan-les Pins, Nice, Nerja and so many more? Even (gasp) Benidorm (not that I've been, only passed through )

I look at pictures and some of the views from the apartments are nice enough but apart from that it just seems to be similar buildings and an enormous road outside.
Delray Beach fits the bill perfectly. I have friends who retired there (they're kinda like snowbirds, save that they've sold out of New England and are officially resident in Florida, but still spend about 8 weeks in the high summer up in Connecticut each year) and I've been visiting Delray for several years.

The first time I went I was struck by how similar it was to many Australian east coast beach towns - very relaxed and good stuff within easy walking distance. It has a village-y feel to me, and seems just right in terms of size. It definitely isn't tacky or too big like many of the beachside places on the Florida coast.

Delray Beach is:

- 30km south of Palm Beach International Airport (which has seasonal flights from Canada)

- 54km north of Fort Lauderdale International Airport (which has regular and seasonal flights from Canada)

- 90km north of Miami International Airport (which has regular and seasonal flights from Canada)

You would have to use an Uber, taxi or limo to get from an airport to Delray Beach, but assuming you rent accommodation somewhere close to the main strip or the beach, once you're there it is possible to walk everywhere (or take an Uber for things slightly further afield).

The beach and boardwalk is lovely, the main road has good stuff on it (loads of restaurants and bars) and there's supermarkets and drug stores within walking distance of the main strip. To go to bigger supermarkets or larger malls is a short Uber ride.

Cinemas are an Uber ride away from memory - but we're talking a few kms.

Further afield (an Uber will take you) are things like the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens (fantastic and definitely worth a visit), and the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (rent a canoe and explore the Everglades - great fun).

There's also good live theatre nearby in places like Jupiter (again, an Uber ride away).

The upshot is you could definitely have a beach holiday in Delray without renting a car (so long as you were prepared to take an Uber or taxi for excursions a little further afield).
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
Delray Beach fits the bill perfectly...
- 30km south of Palm Beach International Airport (which has seasonal flights from Canada)...
Thanks very much for that. I found some pics of the downtown which looks nice enough and the flights to PBI look about $200 cheaper than to Miami
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

:

Do you know the South Beach area? It looks nice enough.

From my point of view it wouldn't be "the typical holiday" so much as just moving "home" for a month.
South Beach in Miami has really gentrified over the past few years. You could get by without a car there if you picked the right location to stay (say around the Ocean Dr / Lummus Park area). Everything you're looking for is within walking (or Uber distance) from there. But it is a bit more urban than, say, Delray Beach.

I used to have to go to South Beach reasonably regularly for work and have stayed at the Loews Hotel (best location for SoBe), Ritz Carlton (still ok), The Confidante (a bit out of the way, but a nice smallish hotel), and the Fontainebleu (not really SoBe, out of the way and filled with hookers and their clients).
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
...Delray Beach...
Hey, I discovered what happened to Wembley's Twin Towers.
Spoiler:

South Beach in Miami has really gentrified over the past few years. You could get by without a car there if you picked the right location to stay (say around the Ocean Dr / Lummus Park area).
I think I was looking at that on google streetview.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a cliche? Thousands of naffing Canadians going down to south Florida. They're like an invasive species. And as for Del Ray Beach, that's were where both of my apartments were. Luckily we had a private beach club.

You only have to visit the local Publix supermarket to see the naffing Canadians stripping the place bare of prune juice and Depends. You lot aren't well thought of down there.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 27th 2018 at 4:25 am.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I liked Key West well enough. We rented a convertible in Miami and drove down there, it's like a gay French Quarter. Any of those places along the highway from Miami south would be fine for a long weekend of laying in the sun and beach barring. I also liked Melbourne Beach though I was there for work; there's nothing to do but that's the point.
Key West is great, but I don't think it is really feasible without a car.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Key West is great, but I don't think it is really feasible without a car.
https://www.keywesttravelguide.com/t...ound-key-west/
Key West, FL / Visitors
Florida Keys & Key West travel info & maps available with the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council

According to their blurb, it is.