Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Flight from LA to Tokyo turns around after four hours due to 'unauthorised person'

Flight from LA to Tokyo turns around after four hours due to 'unauthorised person'

Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight from LA to Tokyo turns around after four hours due to 'unauthorised person'

Not the tale of intrigue it sounds,It appears that a rogue passenger managed to proceed from check-in all the way to the final boarding pass check at LAX and board the wrong plane

I can't believe the plane turned around. I was on a plane to Nice once, from Stansted or Luton, and the "welcome to flight whatever number to Nice" announcement revealed someone on the wrong plane.
I could understand as there were no boarding cards (Easyjet) and walking through doors and then along a bit before walking through a gap in the barriers there was a point at which there appeared a choice of plane. But as you've just followed a bunch of people through the departure gate for the Nice flight, having documents checked, you just follow them.

But if the bulk of passengers have gone through for your flight and you're still okay to go through your gate and start walking and then follow people to a different plane I can see how it might happen that you get to a seat and sit down.

But at big airports like LA, where the bus takes you or the plane is attached to a corridor, I'd have thought you can only go wrong by having the wrong ticket like Sydney NS rather than Australia or something.

Is it usual that a plane would turn back in these circumstances? I know he probably had luggage on another plane that would be removed.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight from LA to Tokyo turns around after four hours due to 'unauthorised person

I think it's unusual. I understand security is important, but I don't think it'd be safer to turn back, particularly if you know who the "rogue" passenger happens to be.

I have experienced some dodgy security issues at airports a number of times. Most recently at London Heathrow to Belfast, where they have the boarding gates that link your boarding pass to a digital photo. I accidentally picked up my girlfriends boarding pass and went straight through, only once my girlfriend got stuck did we realize. So mistakes happen, either that or I look like an Asian female! ha
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight from LA to Tokyo turns around after four hours due to 'unauthorised person

Wasn't he in someone else's seat?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Wasn't he in someone else's seat?
If it was full but it may not have been.

I found a BBC report that said the airline followed security procedures and I can understand that having a passenger you shouldn't have might be a security risk. But then someone who does that deliberately because they want to hijack the plane or blow it up is hardly going to tell the crew he's not supposed to be on the plane.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 7:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There would be the financial/legal position for the airline to consider - if the pilot advises the company there is an 'unauthorised person' on board an international flight, then they have to consider what to do with the person at the other end. On landing in Tokyo the passenger becomes subject to Japanese immigration requirements, and if they do not have the right documentation to be admitted to Japan the airline will be fined heavily, and have to fly the person back to point of origin, at their expense.
Quite possibly cheaper and less hassle to turn round.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 7:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There would be the financial/legal position for the airline to consider - if the pilot advises the company there is an 'unauthorised person' on board an international flight, then they have to consider what to do with the person at the other end. On landing in Tokyo the passenger becomes subject to Japanese immigration requirements, and if they do not have the right documentation to be admitted to Japan the airline will be fined heavily, and have to fly the person back to point of origin, at their expense.
That makes sense.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On landing in Tokyo the passenger becomes subject to Japanese immigration requirements, and if they do not have the right documentation to be admitted to Japan the airline will be fined heavily, and have to fly the person back to point of origin, at their expense.
Apparently fines average @ $3500 for each passenger without documentation.

The model on the flight whose tweets appear to have been the cause of this making headlines apparently was back on a flight 6 hours after they arrived back at LA.

Apparently there were 150 passengers - doesn't sound full.

With the 8 hours in the air, then another 6 before the next flight there's a 14 hour delay. I think a $3500 fine and flying him back would be cheaper than the costs of hospitality, compensation for late arrival and the expenses involved in finding flights for all the others. Possible costs for knock on effect to other flights and passengers too.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:46 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Apparently fines average @ $3500 for each passenger without documentation.

The model on the flight whose tweets appear to have been the cause of this making headlines apparently was back on a flight 6 hours after they arrived back at LA.

Apparently there were 150 passengers - doesn't sound full.

With the 8 hours in the air, then another 6 before the next flight there's a 14 hour delay. I think a $3500 fine and flying him back would be cheaper than the costs of hospitality, compensation for late arrival and the expenses involved in finding flights for all the others. Possible costs for knock on effect to other flights and passengers too.
Maybe Japan said no thanks you can't land as you know you have an undeclared/unvisaed person on board?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand the passenger in question was with his brother who had a ticket on the ANA flight but the passenger in question was booked on United Airlines possibly to the same destination.

United and ANA codeshare so they may have thought both were on the ANA flight.

The gate agents should have caught it however and never allowed the individual to board.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Maybe Japan said no thanks you can't land as you know you have an undeclared/unvisaed person on board?
They could have countered "but we have a famous model on board"

The report quoted a spokesman as saying "the airline worked out that the incident was just a mix-up while it was still in the air, but decided to return to LAX nonetheless" so probably Tokyo airport didn't even know.