Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by Oink
The threads that are completely devoid from objectivity and critical reasoning are always the best ones.
I think this thread would be immeasurably improved by a reference to, or homily from, your nan.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:10 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I think the OP just wanted to make it known to RICH that he was now on the ignore list so there is no point for RICH to respond to the OP. Which, in my world, is considerate as the OP is saving RICH time and effort as his responses won't be read. Does that make any sense at all?
It would make sense if I cared.

As Miss Clinique said, if the The Bear doesn't want comment on his opinions, why post them online? He's apparently a very sensitive bear.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:10 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

In the 1980s only about 9% of school leavers attended university and the places were extremely rationed. And, if you were unfortunate to have to attend one those educational dustbins called secondary moderns your chances of being channeled into HE were very slim indeed. Of course the easy thing at that time was to blame the children instead of taking responsibility for their class ridden prejudice.
Go Oink

As an outsider looking in it seems it suits people at a certain class level to keep the rest ignorant and uneducated. It's interesting reading some of the comments to the link posted about social inequality - a lot of rationalizing going on there. I wonder why? Is it so labour is cheaper? Or because there aren't enough 'good' jobs to go around - a way of keeping competition for those jobs low and making sure a certain group gets them?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 3rd 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Go Oink
My favourite term to describe the different "structures" of state post-primary education in the UK was that they were striving for "parity of esteem." A charming notion lifted almost directly from the US odious doctrine of legal racial segregated "separate but equal" schools.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 3rd 2012 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a problem with being told I have no right to slate either country I have lived in. If none of them made me feel like a productive and accepted human being, should I lie and pretend everything is just fine?
It's not the country, it's you.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
This thread is possibly the biggest load of bollocks I have read on here for some time.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I must live in an alternative universe because every time I go back to the UK nearly all my friends try and convince me to take the plunge and go back. And judging by their lovely houses, their general high standard of living and the richness of their lives, its a tempting proposition.
My friends also have lovely houses and a high standard of living.

But my friends do not judge a country on how the richest live. It is easy to "fiddle while Rome burns".

My friends in the UK have more of a social conscience. They have their wide eyes open.

I spent years in the UK trying to make things better. I have been involved in Large urban regeneration projects, I was chair of a Sure Start children's centre, I was the trustee of a homeless shelter and worked with many disadvantaged people and groups.

There are many who hide themselves in the alternate universe you talk of, but most of us have to live in the real world.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
My friends also have lovely houses and a high standard of living.

But my friends do not judge a country on how the richest live. It is easy to "fiddle while Rome burns".

My friends in the UK have more of a social conscience. They have their wide eyes open.

I spent years in the UK trying to make things better. I have been involved in Large urban regeneration projects, I was chair of a Sure Start children's centre, I was the trustee of a homeless shelter and worked with many disadvantaged people and groups.

There are many who hide themselves in the alternate universe you talk of, but most of us have to live in the real world.
I meant richness as in fulfilment and harmony of existence rather than some pecuniary self-interest. And to quote someone from the telly, "a social conscience is like a garden shed. If you try to eat it, it will stick in your throat!"
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's not the country, it's you.
Really? Is it my fault that in UK I was treated as my business partner's secretary while I was the Managing Director? It couldn't possibly be the male chauvinistic attitude that is permeating the country, could it?

Is it also my fault that in my chosen profession, most women are ignored and not taken seriously? And sorry to say, it is like that all over Europe. While in North America (not just Canada), I see more women in power being respected and women in my industry being accepted, respected and promoted than anywhere in Europe.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Is it my fault that in UK I was treated as my business partner's secretary while I was the Managing Director? It couldn't possibly be the male chauvinistic attitude that is permeating the country, could it?
He sounds like a dick, but you were the one putting up with it.

Is it also my fault that in my chosen profession, most women are ignored and not taken seriously? And sorry to say, it is like that all over Europe. While in North America (not just Canada), I see more women in power being respected and women in my industry being accepted, respected and promoted than anywhere in Europe.
What is your chosen profession? I have never encountered women being ignored and not taken seriously in any working situation I have ever been in, particularly in England.

Could you explain to me that lack of females in the top job of the land in the US as, as you appear to believe, they are treated so much better in North America? I doubt very much that one could, credibly, call Kim Campbell a relevant Prime Minister!

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 3rd 2012 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

But having a social conscience is not about what you can eat.

I can happily say that thanks to the breakfast clubs we funded there were many kids who got to eat at least one meal a day.

Thanks to the homeless shelter we ran, there were many people who received decent medical treatment and a roof over their heads and a second chance.

Thanks to the regeneration projects there were many who gained decent housing, training and employment opportunities.

I believe that if more peoplehad a social conscience it would be better for all of us.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It is your fault that you allowed your partner to take advantage.

I don't know any other female professional in your situation or who has had your experiences above.

Funnily, my wife was talking about the differences she's experienced since being back in Canada. She says the male chauvinistic attitude where she works now is much more prevalent than previously in the UK (she works for the same company). Her earnings are on par with male colleagues, she's very respected (some would say feared), and she has been fast tracked up the "ladder" to the probable dismay of her chauvinistic male colleagues.

She had the same experience in the UK other than the chauvinism.

So as i said, it's you, not the country
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:16 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest that you actually live in Canada for a while, then re-assess these comments.

Chauvanism is alive and well here, it exists just the same as all ugly attitudes exist. If you disagree with it, then don't accept it, don't give them an inch. I've lived in the UK, and I live in Canada, people can be shit everywhere.

I fail to see how anyone can generalise the entire continents of North America and Europe, but I bow to your knowledge of your own industry.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I refer YYZ to my previous post. Generalising with a big "G".
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
He sounds like a dick, but you were the one putting up with it.
Sorry, it wasn't my partner doing it. It was the men we went to for business meetings. My partner tried to include me a much as he possibly could. In the end I got so fed up with it that I didn't want to go to them.

What is your chosen profession? I have never encountered women being ignored and not taken seriously in any working situation I have ever been in, particularly in England.
Entertainment industry (take a pick).

Yes, I know, casting couch in Hollywood, the objectification of women in movies and even female musicians showing skin to sell albums, etc. It's not helping, but strangely there are more women climbing the corporate ladder in North America within that industry than here. At least that's how it is coming across to me.

The swedish film board hands out grants to directors each year. They are supposed to give 40% of the grants to female directors. Out of 16 directors given grants, 2 were women. The film board's reason is that female directors have it more difficult to find investments from the private sector such as venture capitalists and angels. Now, why would the VCs and Angels put money on the table if the film board won't? Get the same script with a male director and the money is there.

Last edited by YYZlover; Jan 3rd 2012 at 5:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.