Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Considering how many (not you) who slag people off for slating UK and telling them to shut it up, the term pot-kettle-black comes to mind.
Plainly what's needed is the unbiased view of someone who lives in neither the UK nor Canada. Short of searching out a resident of Uruguay on the Chinese expats site you do seem best placed.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Actually my parents had to pay for me to go to a private school as the local state school was terrible. Because I came from a good background, I had to pay for much of my university education, my Ph.D. was funded by a pharmacetical company.

I have paid 40% tax and 10% NI for over a decade. I have taken part in valuable research, worked with the homeless etc. I OWE BRITAIN NOTHING.

FYI R I C H I have put your posts on my ignore list so won't be able to read them...you are just the kind of person that makes the internet tiresome at times <snip>
Is this some sort of weird reverse flounce? You see it a lot, where people after placing someone on an ignore list then make a grand gesture of saying so.
In the spirit of it, I'm going to ignore HID who's just mentioned something about the dishwasher needing emptying.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering how many (not you) who slag people off for slating UK and telling them to shut it up, the term pot-kettle-black comes to mind.
Not sure I understand which pot is calling which kettle black?

As I have read this thread, the OP was slating the UK - fair enough he is entitled to his opinion, by putting it on an open forum he is inviting comment back. When he got comments back, he then put that person on the ignore list. Is this the pot - kettle - black you are referring to?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Plainly what's needed is the unbiased view of someone who lives in neither the UK nor Canada. Short of searching out a resident of Uruguay on the Chinese expats site you do seem best placed.

Sorry but I don't get what you are saying.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Not sure I understand which pot is calling which kettle black?

As I have read this thread, the OP was slating the UK - fair enough he is entitled to his opinion, by putting it on an open forum he is inviting comment back. When he got comments back, he then put that person on the ignore list. Is this the pot - kettle - black you are referring to?
Well, let's see if I can explain that.

OP is slating UK. OP in return gets slagged off for doing so. Told to shut up by expats who think UK is perfect while complaining about their new home country and then upset for being slagged off for it. That is what I mean by pot-kettle-black.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Is this some sort of weird reverse flounce? You see it a lot, where people after placing someone on an ignore list then make a grand gesture of saying so.
In the spirit of it, I'm going to ignore HID who's just mentioned something about the dishwasher needing emptying.
Spin of to the above:

While managing several forums I've often seen people get their knicker in a twist and exclaim that they are leaving the forum, then don't as they sit and wait for the responses and hope someone will beg them to stay. Those are just attention seekers.

I think the OP just wanted to make it known to RICH that he was now on the ignore list so there is no point for RICH to respond to the OP. Which, in my world, is considerate as the OP is saving RICH time and effort as his responses won't be read. Does that make any sense at all?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Spin of to the above:

While managing several forums I've often seen people get their knicker in a twist and exclaim that they are leaving the forum, then don't as they sit and wait for the responses and hope someone will beg them to stay. Those are just attention seekers.

I think the OP just wanted to make it known to RICH that he was now on the ignore list so there is no point for RICH to respond to the OP. Which, in my world, is considerate as the OP is saving RICH time and effort as his responses won't be read. Does that make any sense at all?
None of it makes any sense to me but thanks for trying. Although this ignore list thing is brilliant. I'm planning to put lots of things on my ignore list today.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I see nothing wrong as a british person in Canada with saying bad things about the UK. When I was in the UK I did it all the time and see no reason why it should change now I'm in Canada.

Usually when I speak to my friends in the UK, we always spend a few minutes moaning about how bad things are in the UK. We talk about riots, the state of the economy, how bad the government is... you know the drill.

When I talk to Canadians about the UK we usually talk about other things. The sense of history and culture, music, having shops open round the clock, etc.

If a Canadian dares to say something negative I usually quickly jump to the defence of the UK.

As a person who has spent time both in the UK and Canada I can think of noboby more qualified to make these types of comparisons.

Of course Canada is not perfect, but we do not have to pretend to each other that the UK is.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Well I currently live in the UK....but am looking to move back to Canada. I am a German. I have lived in several countries around the world (Turkey, Egypt, Canada, Thailand, etc). I find each place has had things that I like and dislike obviously some more than others. I think when you have lived in many different countries it shows you how things can be done differently...and that can be difficult particularly if you think how one country does certain things is better than how another country does things.

There are many things that I like about the UK, however I personally find that it was much better suited to my younger single self, rather than my older family self. I personally feel that Canada offers a much better environment for families and I have to put that first.

There are many things I will miss when I leave the UK; Cheap travel and proximity to mainland Europe, the London nightlife (westend shows, exhibits, concerts), The Shopping (including the great markets and reasonably priced supermarkets), Cheap Car Insurance (but this balances out with Canada relative to all the other costs you are hit with), very inexpensive NHS prescription medication and inexpensive dentists, and living withing a short drive (relatively) of a coastline.

There are however many, many things that I will not miss; The crowds, the traffic (and the costs of running a car: petrol, congestion charging, parking permits, emissions linked road tax, etc), the crime, the cost and size of housing, the class system, the disaffected youth (I would rather have a docile pothead teenager then the drunken yobs hanging out at the park with knives in hoodies) and the dreary weather (I will take sunshine and -25'C any day over rainy dark depressing skies month after month).

I have also found it extremely difficult to make friends in the UK, I cannot say that I have made any friends that will remain friends after I depart. I did not have this problem in any of the other countries which I have lived. I have found Brits to be extremely standoffish. In contrast I still have many, many close friends from the years I lived in Canada, I find them very warm and welcoming.

I think each person just needs to find what needs and wants suit them best from a country that they live in, however I also believe that adapting a little bit is important as well.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britsnake
Of course Canada is not perfect, but we do not have to pretend to each other that the UK is.
If countries were perfect, no one would emigrate.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by britsnake
Personally I see nothing wrong as a british person in Canada with saying bad things about the UK. When I was in the UK I did it all the time and see no reason why it should change now I'm in Canada.

Usually when I speak to my friends in the UK, we always spend a few minutes moaning about how bad things are in the UK. We talk about riots, the state of the economy, how bad the government is... you know the drill.

When I talk to Canadians about the UK we usually talk about other things. The sense of history and culture, music, having shops open round the clock, etc.

If a Canadian dares to say something negative I usually quickly jump to the defence of the UK.

As a person who has spent time both in the UK and Canada I can think of noboby more qualified to make these types of comparisons.

I must live in an alternative universe because every time I go back to the UK nearly all my friends try and convince me to take the plunge and go back. And judging by their lovely houses, their general high standard of living and the richness of their lives, its a tempting proposition.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is possibly the biggest load of bollocks I have read on here for some time.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
This thread is possibly the biggest load of bollocks I have read on here for some time.
The threads that are completely devoid from objectivity and critical reasoning are always the best ones.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
+ 1
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The threads that are completely devoid from objectivity and critical reasoning are always the best ones.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.