Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First time skiing last night.....

First time skiing last night.....

Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time skiing last night.....

On the same subject .... does anyone know much about cross-country ski bindings and whether they should release in the same way?

I fell on my first X-country ski attempt and twisted my ankle so badly (as my ski went on pointing straight ahead and the rest of me went left), that I sustained a spiral fracture lower third right fibula!

My orthopedic surgeon said the ski should have come off, but I'm not sure the bindings on X-country skis work in the same fashion. I didn't even tell the ski hire people that my ankle was broke cos I didn't want to make a fuss, and felt like a right plonker at the time!!

I've often wondered though .... it's funny ... years later, my ankle starts tingling at the very memory!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
that you should have the DIN setting on your skies set appropriately.
Definitely good advice. The more easily you pop out the better.

I twisted my knee after falling and my bindings not releasing. First lot of surgery to correct ligaments in 8 weeks.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
Definitely good advice. The more easily you pop out the better.

I twisted my knee after falling and my bindings not releasing. First lot of surgery to correct ligaments in 8 weeks.
Ohh - good luck!

Although you can take it to the other extreme. We did the Vallee Blanche once (in hire skis) and literally everytime my OH did a turn or anything vaguely dynamic he popped out , in fact he could jump out of his skis. Not good or safe either.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:04 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

I would say this is a good warning to all your newbie skiers out there (Calgary Colemans, bazzz et al) that you should have the DIN setting on your skies set appropriately.

ok, after skiing all weekend down the mountain at lake louise, and still not having a single lesson, i'm a little worried that i have no idea what the DIN setting is and this may cause my leg to drop off, please advise.

ps where can i see you for a 69 in my lesson.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Hah. I saw an advert for a property development in Squamish claiming to be 45 mins from downtown Vancouver and 30 mins from Whistler.

Friday evening I'll go to Comor and this other place.
How did the boot buying / fitting go?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:24 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

How did the boot buying / fitting go?
Destination Ski was where I ended up buying the boots. The chap spent a total of about 3 hours with me in two separate sessions - the first session carried on half an hour after the shop closed - 8:30 pm on a Friday night. He made one set of adjustments, and then another; punching out the ankle and the front of the foot a bit. He also put in orthoses to correct my weird feet. I think the total came to just shy of $700 inc taxes but any adjustments over the next year are included. (Plus I spent an extra $140 on getting new bindings when he pointed out my current ones were damaged - did this at Sport Mart though as all their bindings looked a little high-end for my liking).

Having been out in them a few times I think I'm going to have to go back and get some more adjustments made as I'm still not quite satisfied, but they're a lot better than my old boots. I suspect that the orthoses are affecting the muscles I'm using as I'm feeling a lot more stiffness in my thighs than before. So maybe that'll go with continued use.

Of course, the spanner in the works here is that I don't know how much of any discomfort is down to my lousy technique...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:26 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Bazzz, I'm spending the next few days at Sun Peaks, and the snow conditions are pretty good for this late in the season - cooler than average, and some regular inch or 2 snow falls over the past week.

When you're there over the weekend, spend a few dollars and rent a Flaik GPS tracker to carry in your pocket - it's fun to see where, how far, fast etc that you've skied. The attachment illustrates some of the data you can log onto the Flaik website to see, from a day out I had a few weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails First time skiing last night.....-flaik.jpg