Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First time skiing last night.....

First time skiing last night.....

Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time skiing last night.....

$900 seems little steep unless you have seriously deformed feet!

This destination place will be worth a try, but be wary.......it says on their website
in just over an hour's scenic drive [from North Vancouver] you can be at North Americas Premier Ski Resort of Whistler.
Hopefully they know more about boot fitting than driving times!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:28 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
Hopefully they know more about boot fitting than driving times!
Hah. I saw an advert for a property development in Squamish claiming to be 45 mins from downtown Vancouver and 30 mins from Whistler.

Friday evening I'll go to Comor and this other place.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bazzz;6018719]Hah. I saw an advert for a property development in Squamish claiming to be 45 mins from downtown Vancouver and 30 mins from Whistler.[QUOTE]

Have they built a private road parellel with the S2S?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:07 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see that Austrian skier on the news, now that's what I'm talking about - he had to have is leg amputated, you could see it wobbling around
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:50 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Did you see that Austrian skier on the news, now that's what I'm talking about - he had to have is leg amputated, you could see it wobbling around
That's horrendous. I wonder if they overlooked the severity of his leg injury as he was knocked out, and they might have been focussing on that and not realised he was bleeding out in his leg.

I worked once with a young lad who was a long time in a coma after a car accident. I saw him some years later, and he had recovered well from his head injury, but was permanently disabled from the inadequate management of his complicated upper limb fracture. At the time it seemed less vital I guess!

On further reading it might be the fact that there was no medically equipped helicopter available to fly the guy to hospital played a significant part in the outcome. He was eventually flown by private helicopter after they removed some of the seats, and a delay of 5 hours I read!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 5th 2008 at 10:29 pm. Reason: read some more on the story ....
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:00 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
That's horrendous. I wonder if they overlooked the severity of his leg injury as he was knocked out, and they might have been focussing on that and not realised he was bleeding out in his leg.

I worked once with a young lad who was a long time in a coma after a car accident. I saw him some years later, and he had recovered well from his head injury, but was permanently disabled from the inadequate management of his complicated upper limb fracture. At the time it seemed less vital I guess!
I really envy people who can throw themselves down the mountain, I would love to be able to ski but as I get older I get more squeemish. When I saw the replay on the news and his leg wobbling it made me feel really sick. I used to work on an orthopaedic ward and look after people that had been in car accidents, fallen, defects from birth etc - they say nurses make the worse patients and although that was many years ago the squeemishness has stayed with me.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

We don't have a TV - have you got a link to it on t'web?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:09 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

We don't have a TV - have you got a link to it on t'web?
http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...QUm4daNovnhTPw

this is a write up, don't know if there is a video yet. I saw it on CBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28GKbLN3pE

As usual someones pain on a video

Last edited by Lorna_D; Mar 6th 2008 at 12:18 am. Reason: added video link
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...QUm4daNovnhTPw

this is a write up, don't know if there is a video yet. I saw it on CBC
Thanks. If you put it in Google it is on news websites all round the world, but no gory pictures in Google images.

Well he's got 2 years to learn how to ski on one leg ready for the Paralympics
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:21 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Thanks. If you put it in Google it is on news websites all round the world, but no gory pictures in Google images.

I have not doubt he will be there cos from what I know of sports people their glass is always half full
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Here you go for any more kool kids who don't think it is worth paying for cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28GKbLN3pE

I would say this is a good warning to all your newbie skiers out there (Calgary Colemans, bazzz et al) that you should have the DIN setting on your skies set appropriately.

If both of Matthias Lanzinger's skies had come off when he first fell then I dare say he wouldn't be in such a bad state. It was his left leg that had to be amputated, and it was left ski that didn't come off.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I have not doubt he will be there cos from what I know of sports people their glass is always half full
Considering that "Lanzinger's career best World Cup result was third at a super-G in Beaver Creek, Colo., in December 2005" then he might have better odds of getting a medal now too (just looking for the silver lining)
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Considering that "Lanzinger's career best World Cup result was third at a super-G in Beaver Creek, Colo., in December 2005" then he might have better odds of getting a medal now too (just looking for the silver lining)
Wikipedia also agrees with me about the ski not releasing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Lanzinger
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:10 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

wow I can't beleive how quick these things get on the net
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:23 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia is hardly a recognised authority .... on anything! But that was my first question as well.... and i'm the first to admit that I know little about ski bindings!

However, it would appear that racing professional skiers subject their bindings to much higher forces in the normal course of the race than recreational skiers, so they tend to crank up the resistance accordingly, and presumably accept that increased risk.

Human tissues are not able to be cranked up in the same way, and so the leg in this case broke before the left ski was positioned in such a way against the snow that the release mechanism worked .... either that or the leg was sufficiently twisted that the soft tissues eventually afforded that resistance.

I'm sure the ski/boot/bindings will all be checked to see if there was any factors there that contributed to this horrific accident. Like most terrible things that happen, there is normally a collection of circumstances often including very bad luck which lead to the end result.

Just for balance, I'd add that this horrible accident should not put off the recreational skier, any more than a Formula One race car crash should dissuade somebody from taking driving lessons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.