Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First time skiing last night.....

First time skiing last night.....

Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time skiing last night.....

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Where did you go?
Same place as some of these threads

Downhill...................
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Where did you go?
Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
COP.....$15 night (though we didn't know that!)

Went with a group from work, so got plenty of advise on how to fall etc...still hurts though!!!

Can't wait to go again...
Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Same place as some of these threads
Shh you, I asked a question of the OP and she answered it already!

Downhill...................[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:14 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
The fear of heights is my biggest problem........I feel physically sick looking down and worry that I will pass out. The first few times we went to Rabbit Hill it felt more like survival than enjoyment.

I too think I will be more suited to cross country.

Linda
yes you're right there
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
....And everything hurts this morning......

Feel like I've been hit by a truck, and that was just me on the baby slope....

Loved it though

Nicky
Watch out, it is an expensive addiction! Our second biggest purchase after arriving here was the family ski pass (second only to the car).

Of course then OH got a job at the local ski resort and we had the pass refunded
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You're not too old.

The oldest person I taught was 72. My in-laws learnt when they were in their 50s, and I have a 69 regularly in my lessons. She only started when she was 60.

Of course my dad after a stroke only managed 4 times down the bunny-hill at SilverStar at 65 with me pulling the tips of his skies round for him.

Some of the European resorts used to do cheap ski passes for OAPs but many recently have been putting the age limit up!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:45 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
and I have a 69 regularly in my lessons.
Well that should keep you warm.

I went to the fancy bootfitters just off Burrard on 3rd. The guy there thinks I've got slightly funny shaped feet in that they're unusually wide towards the front. Huh. He wants to take a boot and do all kinds of modifications to the shell to make it fit perfectly.

No doubt it'll be great, but it'll cost $$$$$. I just need you to reassure me that this is a sensible thing to spend my money on.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:54 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

You're not too old.

The oldest person I taught was 72. My in-laws learnt when they were in their 50s, and I have a 69 regularly in my lessons. She only started when she was 60.

Of course my dad after a stroke only managed 4 times down the bunny-hill at SilverStar at 65 with me pulling the tips of his skies round for him.

Some of the European resorts used to do cheap ski passes for OAPs but many recently have been putting the age limit up!
I'm only 51 but as I said afraid to fall and afraid of heights but if you think you can help me ski please pop over for a cuppa and tell me what I need to buy and where to place the pillows

I do however draw the line at your other class activities
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Well that should keep you warm.

I went to the fancy bootfitters just off Burrard on 3rd. The guy there thinks I've got slightly funny shaped feet in that they're unusually wide towards the front. Huh. He wants to take a boot and do all kinds of modifications to the shell to make it fit perfectly.

No doubt it'll be great, but it'll cost $$$$$. I just need you to reassure me that this is a sensible thing to spend my money on.
Mr L2S has wide toes and narrow heels = having a heel insole + punching out toes.

Punching out boots is a common practice.

If you are buying the boots full price then they should make all alterations for free. If you are buying them reduced or going to a different boot fitter from where you purchased them, be prepared to pay.

We got Mr L2S's boots second hand from Cheap Skates or Sport Junkies (because it was taking him too long to choose a pair last autumn, so I bought him a second hand pair to save renting, and he is still using them). We got them punched out from said shop over the summer. I think it cost us $70.

I personally don't think it isn't worth scrimping and saving a few $ on boots, as you'll be wasting the rest of the money that you are spending on skiing if your feet are in agony.

Also, if you are only going once a week during the season and aren't planning on progressive too fast, then your boots should last a good few years.

I bought my last pair in (2003 / 4). I have done one full ski season in them, 2 seasons here of 2 full days and 2 half days a week, plus a season instrcuting once a week a snowdome plus a few weeks in the Alps. I'm only just thinking of getting new ones.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I'm only 51 but as I said afraid to fall and afraid of heights but if you think you can help me ski please pop over for a cuppa and tell me what I need to buy and where to place the pillows

I do however draw the line at your other class activities
I did have osteopenia (bones are probably still a bit brittle) but that hasn't stopped me from learning. I learnt when I was 19 so remember the fear and pain, and hence probably why I am such a good instructor (and so modest!)

Mr L2S's friend has just brought us over 400 tea bags so we're ok for a cuppa for present. But you are welcome to come over to Vancouver every Monday night next January and February for Ladies Night up Grouse!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:11 am

If you are buying the boots full price then they should make all alterations for free. If you are buying them reduced or going to a different boot fitter from where you purchased them, be prepared to pay.
Yeah, that doesn't seem to be the policy at this place. Boots are full price and they charge an arm-and-a-leg on top to get it modified for you. I'm a little bit vague as to what they do, but I think it must be a bit more fancy than other places. They consistently get recommended if you search the internet for recommended bootfitters in Vancouver, but I suspect they might be unnecessarily high-end for someone of my needs and abilities.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be the policy at this place. Boots are full price and they charge an arm-and-a-leg on top to get it modified for you. I'm a little bit vague as to what they do, but I think it must be a bit more fancy than other places. They consistently get recommended if you search the internet for recommended bootfitters in Vancouver, but I suspect they might be unnecessarily high-end for someone of my needs and abilities.
Have you tried Comox?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:16 am

Have you tried Comox?
You mean Comor? I guess I should pop in some time and just compare the service. Any idea how competent the staff are there?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You mean Comor? I guess I should pop in some time and just compare the service. Any idea how competent the staff are there?
Top class 69's.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, Comor .....try there as well as Comox where ever the hell that ski shop is!

If you explain that you have weird feet and that you need their top boot fitter then see how much you trust them. Or else go back a few times at different times of the week and see what advice you get from the different people.

We went to the one downtown before it closed when we were trying to get Mr L2S's boots. I rated the staff we spoke to pretty highly, and I am sure that at least then they had the policy of giving free adjustments so long as bought full price boots.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:04 am

Yes, Comor .....try there as well as Comox where ever the hell that ski shop is!

If you explain that you have weird feet and that you need their top boot fitter then see how much you trust them. Or else go back a few times at different times of the week and see what advice you get from the different people.

We went to the one downtown before it closed when we were trying to get Mr L2S's boots. I rated the staff we spoke to pretty highly, and I am sure that at least then they had the policy of giving free adjustments so long as bought full price boots.
Okeydoke. I'm going to try these guys some time this week:

http://www.thedestination.ca/store/about.html

as they seem to get good reports too. When you know as little as I do, you kind of rely on these people being competent. Hopefully I can find any improvement on the $900 I've been estimated so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.