Reload this Page >

First job interview tomorrow

First job interview tomorrow

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:45 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default First job interview tomorrow

Hi

I have my first Canadian job interview tomorrow morning....whilst I've had a few interviews during my time in the UK, I am not sure what to expect tomorrow.

I know it is a panel of three people, two engineering managers and a HR person but thats about it.

Any advice?

(PS. I'm an Engineer, here on a skilled worker visa).

Cheers

JB
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First job interview tomorrow

Generally the 2 engineers will hit you with the "technical" side of the interview where the hr person is there to try and make sure you arent displaying serial killer properties

The 3 people hit seems to be used a lot in government interviews any I have been involved in from the interviewee or the interviewer side have always only involved 2
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:07 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience of interviews here is that they expect you to talk for 10-15 minutes in response to one question. There's no dialogue or conversation just a monologue from the interviewee. You are expected to boast and use jargon, to have 'goals' and 'envision scenarios'.

The HR person asks question such as " Can you think of a time when....and what did you do about it...."

Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:17 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Fled. I had one interview where I was in the office for so long I thought they would start charging me rent. Question after question from a panel of three, with responses expected to be lengthy and detailed with the aforementioned examples. Much cheesing up and "key word" usage was required.

Then again, a recent interview I attended was held in a coffee shop over a relaxed brew. Much more chat of travel, animals, outside interests than of heavy duty work related stuff.

I know which I prefer...and I know who got a more realistic impression of me as an employee by the end of it.

Anyway, best of luck!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:23 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
My experience of interviews here is that they expect you to talk for 10-15 minutes in response to one question. There's no dialogue or conversation just a monologue from the interviewee. You are expected to boast and use jargon, to have 'goals' and 'envision scenarios'.

The HR person asks question such as " Can you think of a time when....and what did you do about it...."

Good luck.
Also agree with this , think of some stock questions and then prepare some stock answers
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of interviews here is that they expect you to talk for 10-15 minutes in response to one question.
I think that may be a bit excessive. The tech interviewers will be looking to see if you really know what you say you know. I think it would be bad if you use up all the time going on and on about one topic and then run out of time before they can determine if you are the right person.

Since these people will be the ones you're working with, they're going to try and get a feel for what you'll be like to work with.

Best bet is to answer the questions fully an honestly with no BS. If it takes 15 minutes to give a decent answer then take 15 minutes. Just don't let them think you're BSing them.

Yup, these are pretty typical questions. Some companies give these ones more weight than how much you actually know. The techie guys will want to know how you'll fit in the team and the HR person will want to know how you'll fit into the company.

Do some research on the company before you head out to the interview. One of the first questions will likely be, "What do you know about our company?" or "why do you want to work for us?"
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:27 pm
x 0 x

Smile Re: First job interview tomorrow

Hi Everyone

I had the interview this morning....would say it was more laid back than in the UK....it was also a smaller company than I have been used to.

The interview was pretty much standard and I did not get any questions that I would say differentiate it from an UK engineering interview.

Just sent a thank-you email, only to have the house phone ring to be told that subject to HR doing their bit, I would be offered the job

I have another interview on Thurs with another company, so nice to feel I have an option already.

Thanks for all the advice.

JB
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

thats a great outcome! Congrats!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:15 pm
x 0 x

Back on the job hunt, did not hear from HR and when I asked the bloke who said he had directed HR to give me the job....I got a lame arse excuse.

Would you ever tell someone they had the job and then go back on your word.....and not respond to an email asking if it was still happening!

Been a bad week...grrrr....soz need to rant.

JB
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:31 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly in my experience, this is a pretty typical outcome of a Canadian job interview.

When I was looking for work, the rule of thumb that I generally came up with was that if you hadn't heard anything then the answer was no.

Its also part of the Canadian passive aggressive psyche to not want to say anything bad to you to your face. The harsh lesson that I learnt last year was that until you have an offer, you don't have the job, no matter what they might tell you.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:36 pm
x 0 x

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Sadly in my experience, this is a pretty typical outcome of a Canadian job interview.

When I was looking for work, the rule of thumb that I generally came up with was that if you hadn't heard anything then the answer was no.

Its also part of the Canadian passive aggressive psyche to not want to say anything bad to you to your face. The harsh lesson that I learnt last year was that until you have an offer, you don't have the job, no matter what they might tell you.
I think you missed the point (or I misunderstand your comments)....I had a phone call from the lead person in the interview telling me "the interview went well and I had the job" and I was told "i've directed HR to offer you the job".

No wait, I get you now.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Mine too. I've had interviews and then nothing. It's infuriating. Follow up calls are usually met with stony silence/fob off stories - just say if you aren't going to offer me a job !!

In the UK, when you apply there is usually a date given, that you would expect to hear by if you have an interview, so at least you know by a certain date if you've been unsuccessful. If you get an interview you are then usually told if you are successful or not. Jeez at least you know.

Feel for you JB0591. I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would do that. Just don't say anything if you cannot follow it through. Unfortuanately it means nowt until it's in writing. Put it behind you and keep going. Good luck !!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:56 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

My worst experience was with Loblaws about two years ago. Had a series of interviews that went fantastically well. Feedback was that they were very impressed, and were just busy.

I was kept in this holding pattern for four months. I didn't get the job.

In my other worst experience, I was repeatedly told I was going to get a final interview with the CEO and they loved me. I found out much later (after about five months of these shenanigans) that they'd promoted someone internally for the position about a week after I'd had the initial interview.

When these things happen to you and you're out of work, you begin to think it's personal. Its not, its just that HRM in most Canadian companies is crap. And don't even get me started on Headhunters and other recruitment folk.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:00 pm
x 0 x

its just that HRM in most Canadian companies is crap.
There was suppose to be HR in the interview but they did not show..... :-)

Keep smiling, keep smiling

JB
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

My worst experience was with Loblaws about two years ago. Had a series of interviews that went fantastically well. Feedback was that they were very impressed, and were just busy.

I was kept in this holding pattern for four months. I didn't get the job.

In my other worst experience, I was repeatedly told I was going to get a final interview with the CEO and they loved me. I found out much later (after about five months of these shenanigans) that they'd promoted someone internally for the position about a week after I'd had the initial interview.

When these things happen to you and you're out of work, you begin to think it's personal. Its not, its just that HRM in most Canadian companies is crap. And don't even get me started on Headhunters and other recruitment folk.
Aaarrgghh - don't tell me things like that! That's more or less the situation I'm in now, although I do know that there are no other candidates (internal or external) and that they're anxious to fill the position. The shenanigans have been going on since late November, so I suppose it's only really 2 months and part of that was Christmas, but it's still worrying to hear your story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.