Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Everyone's gone to the movies

Everyone's gone to the movies

Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Everyone's gone to the movies

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Locke - Set entirely in a car with Tom Hardy's character driving and talking on a phone.
I tried watching that.

I'd already given up on two movies that night and then a fourth...although I realised I'd seen that one before.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

One of may favourite moves is Denise Calls Up where the interaction between every character is on the phone, but you do at least see them.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Locke - Set entirely in a car with Tom Hardy's character driving and talking on a phone. Love, responsibility and concrete. It's a very powerful performance from Hardy & film to be recommended.

I thought that one was very good.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:41 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Margin Call
Good film. Related theme in the cinema at the moment - "The Big Short". Some quality performances in it too. Bale and Carell in particular.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
"The Big Short".
That one's already lined up and waiting
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys & Aliens - good
Old Jan 9th 2016, 10:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Went and saw Star Wars today.

I watched it in D-Box 3d. The D-Box experience was fantastic and I recommend paying the extra few dollars!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 10:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Good film. Related theme in the cinema at the moment - "The Big Short". Some quality performances in it too. Bale and Carell in particular.
Yes, want to go see that as I read the book a few years ago.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 1:26 am
Oscar nominated

Phoenix

Concentration camp survivor - Nina Foss, Astrid from Homeland - searches for husband in post-war Berlin, not believing suspicions that he turned her in to the Nazis.

She finds him but, due to her reconstructive surgery he doesn't recognise her.

If this movie was older, you could believe Carol Reed (The Third Man, The Man Between) was responsible.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 1:31 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, want to go see that as I read the book a few years ago.
Not sure if it follows the book accurately but it's still worth the watch.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:55 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
The thing that is driving me crazy with Netflix (at least the UK iPad version) is the presentation of films on long rows, requiring lots of right-scrolling, and then subsequent rows re-displaying films that have already appeared. If anything, it seems to have got worse as you need to scroll through 400 titles which probably represent just 150 films (as there are so many repeats).

Does Netflix really think anyone is fooled by the presentation system? Ironically, it's possible to find additional available titles which are not displayed by using search. But on the whole good content is fairly limited IMO. May cancel.
Originally Posted by Tangram
Also, recommending things I have already watched and rated. If I've watched them and/or rated them, don't suggest them to me. Filter them out.
Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah, this is annoying. They need an "Already Watched" list which you can add things to and if they are on that list they don't get shown anywhere else. I wouldn't even mind if it's a somewhat manual process.
Saw this on the guardian site today.

The Flix Plus browser extension for Google Chrome (search for it online in the Chrome Web Store) adds a total of 22 tweaks to enhance the standard Netflix website in various ways. They include tweaks to filter your recommendations, identify recommendations you’ve already watched, rearrange home screen sections, hide any spoilers that might be shown in associated images and text, add extra keyboard shortcuts and the option to add notes to the list of films and television shows you want to watch. Ratings from the Internet Movie Database and Rotten Tomatoes are shown right inside Netflix too.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 2:04 am
Oscar nominated

Tonight I discovered a mini-masterpiece.

Who Is Cletus Tout. I loved it.

Tim Allen plays a hitman with a movie obsession and Christian Slater is his target.

Slater's character tells us - and the hitman - of events so far as if he's outlining a screenplay for him and it has his interest.

There's a French Connection homage included as well as lines from various other movies.

I don't often talk to characters (unlike my stepdaughter who, you'd think believes they must hear her) but near the end I couldn't help it.
"Oh go on, you know you want to."

Beautifully done.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:04 am
Oscar nominated

Behold...the perfect Christmas movie.

Get Santa. Very British, very funny.

You will believe again.

Jim Broadbent is Santa.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:57 am
Oscar nominated

For anyone interested in European stuff - especially Scandinavian produced TV/Movies I can heartily recommend a dozen films in the Varg Veum series.

He's a Norwegian PI based in Bergen. I've seen the first six so far.

All stand individually but there's a dynamic that develops between he and a police detective. It's gritty and really very good.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Behold...the perfect Christmas movie.

Get Santa. Very British, very funny.

You will believe again.

Jim Broadbent is Santa.
That was terrible, I could only manage about ten minutes. How did you get on with Kajaki/Kilo Two Bravo?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:53 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
That was terrible, I could only manage about ten minutes. How did you get on with Kajaki/Kilo Two Bravo?
Still waiting to be seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.