Euro elections

Old May 29th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro elections

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Yes I think the election results (not just the UK but the rest of Europe too) have definitely shaken up some of the bigwigs in the EU. Hopefully they will reassess the way they run things & make some much needed changes or they could face crumbling altogether.

They have demanded even more money from member countries, allegedly for youth employment and to help the Ukraine so it doesn't look like they learned anything from the results.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Racism in the UK is in the news this week:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ise-in-britain

Some good graphics in the feature.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5cd640f6-9...#axzz337bR8EzL

1.8 million UK citizens live abroad within the EU compared to 2.3 million non-UK EU citizens living in the UK.

Two-way traffic, innit?
Although, that's 1.8/435 MN compared to 2.3/65 MN so the traffic is a bit heavier on the island.
Old May 30th 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
But Canada has controlled immigration, if they decided there was a real strain on their resources they have the power to close their borders or at least reduce the numbers, the UK doesn't have that luxury. Also plenty of people move to the US which doesn't have free healthcare so it won't stop people emigrating to the UK, they would just have to weigh up the pros & cons like anyone emigrating does. I'm not saying I agree with putting in restrictions on people perfectly entitled to live in the UK, but I do agree with having a Canadian type system of letting people in.
Farage was interviewed by some Canadian on the radio the other day. Obviously she was trying to nail him for being a rascist etc but didn't really seem to get any traction. She even seemed not to understand that anyone from anywhere in the EU could move to the UK without any checks eg criminal etc. Farage should have explained to her that the equivalent situation for Canada would be, having signed up to NAFTA involving 3 countries for free trade, NAFTA turned into a federal AU project including all the central american countries with anyone from places like Honduras and Mexico being able to freely move to and work in Canada or claim Canadian benefits.
Old May 30th 2014, 7:28 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by jimf
Farage was interviewed by some Canadian on the radio the other day. Obviously she was trying to nail him for being a rascist etc but didn't really seem to get any traction. She even seemed not to understand that anyone from anywhere in the EU could move to the UK without any checks eg criminal etc. Farage should have explained to her that the equivalent situation for Canada would be, having signed up to NAFTA involving 3 countries for free trade, NAFTA turned into a federal AU project including all the central american countries with anyone from places like Honduras and Mexico being able to freely move to and work in Canada or claim Canadian benefits.
Impressive analogy ! Never looked it at that way.
Old May 30th 2014, 7:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I heard that - it was Carol Off on As It Happens, wasn't it? I thought she was surprisingly ill-prepared (they normally have pretty good researchers on that show) and he, conversely, knew exactly what he was likely to be asked and what his talking points were. I'd put it more strongly than "not getting any traction" - she was completely outmanouevred (God, that's hard to write when referring to Farage).
Old May 30th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I heard that - it was Carol Off on As It Happens, wasn't it? I thought she was surprisingly ill-prepared (they normally have pretty good researchers on that show) and he, conversely, knew exactly what he was likely to be asked and what his talking points were. I'd put it more strongly than "not getting any traction" - she was completely outmanouevred (God, that's hard to write when referring to Farage).
I was being generous to her really but I didn't hear the start of the interview. She went the same way as Cleggy.........
Old May 30th 2014, 8:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Although, that's 1.8/435 MN compared to 2.3/65 MN so the traffic is a bit heavier on the island.
No, the 1.8M is only the Brits abroad within the EU. Not the total number of EU citizens living in countries other than their homeland. e.g. a significant fraction of the younger working populations of Spain, Italy and Portugal are currently resident in Germany.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:29 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The only time Farage was really outmanoeuvred was about two weeks ago on LBC FM by James O'Brien. If you like hearing the UKIP Man squirm, that is the interview to listen to. I had the pleasure of listening to it live!
Old May 30th 2014, 8:31 pm
Yo

No, the 1.8M is only the Brits abroad within the EU. Not the total number of EU citizens living in countries other than their homeland. e.g. a significant fraction of the younger working populations of Spain, Italy and Portugal are currently resident in Germany.
Those EU citizens from Southern Europe are not really Brits though, are they.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Those EU citizens from Southern Europe are not really Brits though, are they.
My point, as I expect you already know, is that your ratios of Brits abroad and total EU population compared to total EUs in the UK is comparing grapes to pomegranates.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 30th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:49 pm
Yo

My point, as I expect you already know, if that your ratios of Brits abroad and total EU population compared to total EUs in the UK is comparing grapes to pomegranates.
Yes of course. Just pointing the differing immigration density between the more prosperous parts for Europe and the less prosperous. In theory that's a fundamental purpose of the union (wealth equalisation) but in practice it's a question of pace.
Old May 30th 2014, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Yes of course. Just pointing the differing immigration density between the more prosperous parts for Europe and the less prosperous. In theory that's a fundamental purpose of the union (wealth equalisation) but in practice it's a question of pace.
I imagine that your hypothesis is right, but hardly surprising. However, I don't think it reflects a desire for wealth equalization but rather the obvious truth that people from the less prosperous regions are more prepared to do the dirty work in more prosperous regions compared to the locals. Win-win innit?
Old May 30th 2014, 9:04 pm
Yo

I imagine that your hypothesis is right, but hardly surprising. However, I don't think it reflects a desire for wealth equalization but rather the obvious truth that people from the less prosperous regions are more prepared to do the dirty work in more prosperous regions compared to the locals. Win-win innit?
Such cynicism !
Old May 30th 2014, 9:14 pm
Born again atheist

Such cynicism !
Moi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.