Euro elections

Old May 27th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro elections

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a stretch. People don't want uncontrolled immigration of grubby people from poor countries who don't speak English and are thought likely to have to subsist on benefits or the proceeds of crime. They're markedly less fussed about, for example, waves of Canadians coming over and taking teaching jobs.

It may be rational not to want immigrants from disadvantaged nations but, if those people are identifiable as members of a group, as, for example, are Gypsies, it's racism.
I didn't know Gypo's were a race, learn something new everyday.
And if all the UKIP voters are racist why have the BNP done so badly in all it's years ?
The PC, BS race card gets played every time.
I would have voted UKIP if I was over there and if that makes me a racist then so be it.
Old May 27th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a stretch. People don't want uncontrolled immigration of grubby people from poor countries who don't speak English and are thought likely to have to subsist on benefits or the proceeds of crime. They're markedly less fussed about, for example, waves of Canadians coming over and taking teaching jobs.

It may be rational not to want immigrants from disadvantaged nations but, if those people are identifiable as members of a group, as, for example, are Gypsies, it's racism.
And if all the UKIP voters are racist why have the BNP done so badly in all it's years ?
I would have voted UKIP if I was over there and if that makes me a racist then so be it.
Old May 27th 2014, 5:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
To the extent that "race" is a valid construct, the gypsies are one, originating from India.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me about "voting UKIP" is that they don't agree with the EU, and abstain from many of the votes and much of the debate, but still want to take their place (and salary/expenses) in the EU parliament. It's a very hypocritical stance.
Old May 27th 2014, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm developing racism against the straw men.
Old May 27th 2014, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The UN's view on Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. '
Old May 27th 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have voted UKIP if I was over there
Out of interest, why?
Old May 27th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Out of interest, why?
I would have considered UKIP just for the sole motivation of properties in the UK becoming affordable again, due to lack of demand.

If the UK would leave the EU, so would most likely a lot of businesses, most notably international banking. On top of that the economic impact and loss for the UK would be huge.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Because with UKIP you can be a closet racist, pretend it's all to do with overcrowding. BNP are an obvious bunch of thugs and repel people. UKIP attracts the weak.

The guy who founded UKIP left the party when it removed the sections about the party being non racist from its manifesto. He's pretty scathing about Farage.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Souvy
You pleb! Willie Rushton was one of the greats.

The comment, from the 1970s or early 80s, was that what is now the EU was created by France and Germany, to protect inefficient French farmers and to help Germany re-join the human race.
At least Germany built and re-build an economy on technology and technological advances, the UK seems to be built on ever growing house prices and poor insulation and electrical wiring which per-dates the war years. Same as the British automotive sector, which seems to have gone downhill completely, ever since the end of the war.

This protection business of inefficient Farmers is an EU wide issue not exclusive to France, but completely absent in the UK.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
I would have considered UKIP just for the sole motivation of properties in the UK becoming affordable again, due to lack of demand.

If the UK would leave the EU, so would most likely a lot of businesses, most notably international banking. On top of that the economic impact and loss for the UK would be huge.
If you see the number of fruitcakes now representing us in the EU, you might have thought twice on your hypothetical vote! I don't mind Farage, but there are so many nutters in the rest of the so-called party.

There would be less FDI in the UK, but I think the financial sector would continue to thrive, precisely because it could keep itself free of the regulation that the ECB would impose. Norway and Switzerland have thrived outside the EU, Singapore has a strong financial sector despite its economic isolation, so I don't buy the argument that there would be huge economic losses for Britain were it to leave the EU. Not that I am suggesting it should.
Old May 27th 2014, 10:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lost in all this discussion in the media about who voted for who and what they're going to, etc. is any actual explanation of what the European Parliament actually is and what it does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament

I know it has more power now but at the end of the day it's still largely a talking shop, because okay it might have control of the budget but the member States have control of the money.

And the whole thing will simply move to paralysis, they couldn't even sort out the Services Directive because the French objected so now with all this lot going on they won't do much of anything, imo.
Old May 27th 2014, 11:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
The Daily Mail (& the rest of the media) actually run quite a big anti UKIP campaign, so the majority of people voting for them did so using their own brains & not following what the media tells them to do.

I don't think it's a bad thing for the mainstream parties to get a shake up, they've thought they were invincible for far too long. The main problem I see is UKIP splitting the Tory vote & Labour getting in which is the last thing this country needs.

Also (not in response to you tirytory), wanting controlled immigration has nothing to do with racism
I didn't mean who the Daily Fail were supporting, more that this particular paper writes the sort of articles that play into UKIP's hands and feeds an ignorant hysteria.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:21 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So would you have on your move to Canada, been prepared to pay for five years of health care and private education? Do you think you would have been able to? I know we couldn't and therefore wouldn't have moved, but I think we do and will contribute in many different positive ways to Ontario but had Canada enforced UKIP's policies on immigration then moving here wouldn't be an option for many people.

It makes me laugh on reading their position that on apparently leaving the EU will open up SO many jobs to "Brits" as if they aren't open to them already.

Last edited by Tirytory; May 28th 2014 at 12:25 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All this election illustrates to me is how important it is to apply for citizenship of wherever you live. You may move from one part of the EU to the other and think the law will never change - wrong. Look at what just happened. Look at what happened in Switzerland recently.

All it takes is a recession with the right sprinkling of paranoia.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So would you have on your move to Canada, been prepared to pay for five years of health care and private education? Do you think you would have been able to? I know we couldn't and therefore wouldn't have moved, but I think we do and will contribute in many different positive ways to Ontario but had Canada enforced UKIP's policies on immigration then moving here wouldn't be an option for many people.

It makes me laugh on reading their position that on apparently leaving the EU will open up SO many jobs to "Brits" as if they aren't open to them already.
But Canada has controlled immigration, if they decided there was a real strain on their resources they have the power to close their borders or at least reduce the numbers, the UK doesn't have that luxury. Also plenty of people move to the US which doesn't have free healthcare so it won't stop people emigrating to the UK, they would just have to weigh up the pros & cons like anyone emigrating does. I'm not saying I agree with putting in restrictions on people perfectly entitled to live in the UK, but I do agree with having a Canadian type system of letting people in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.