Euro elections

Old May 26th 2014, 7:52 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro elections

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
What worries me is that in a poll, 25% of UKIP voters, when asked, could not state one UKIP policy aside from immigration.
Probably one more policy than people could name for Lab or Con.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But what about the local elections? You know the ones that affect peoples everyday lives? UKIP actually won far fewer seats than even the hapless Lib Dems. Labour on the other hand made net gains of over 330 council seats to end up with more than half of all of the council seats that were contested. With five net gains of majority council control.

While UKIP did pick up over 160 new council seats, they were dispersed so far and wide across the country that they gained control of precisely no councils. Unless they buddy up with the Tories, they’ll have zero power. UKIP actually did worse in these local council elections than last year (from 22% down to 17%). And for the European elections, so few people voted that the only thing it’ll do it pad another few Euro-skeptic racists with the money from the institution they despise. So to sum up, the UK isn’t going to the racist, bigoted dogs although I fear some prospective émigrés will use the media reactions to this election to justify their disenchantment with their lives. But it'll be more bollox.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:14 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The acceptable face of xenophobia.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The acceptable face of xenophobia.
Really, have you seen Farage lately? He looks like he's 70.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:34 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Really, have you seen Farage lately? He looks like he's 70.
He looks like a crazy loon, oh wait...
Old May 27th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's depressing. I'd be interested in the demographics of those that voted.

I bet a huge proportion of those that voted were Daily Fail readers...
The Daily Mail (& the rest of the media) actually run quite a big anti UKIP campaign, so the majority of people voting for them did so using their own brains & not following what the media tells them to do.

I don't think it's a bad thing for the mainstream parties to get a shake up, they've thought they were invincible for far too long. The main problem I see is UKIP splitting the Tory vote & Labour getting in which is the last thing this country needs.

Also (not in response to you tirytory), wanting controlled immigration has nothing to do with racism
Old May 27th 2014, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Also (not in response to you tirytory), wanting controlled immigration has nothing to do with racism
That's a stretch. People don't want uncontrolled immigration of grubby people from poor countries who don't speak English and are thought likely to have to subsist on benefits or the proceeds of crime. They're markedly less fussed about, for example, waves of Canadians coming over and taking teaching jobs.

It may be rational not to want immigrants from disadvantaged nations but, if those people are identifiable as members of a group, as, for example, are Gypsies, it's racism.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a stretch. People don't want uncontrolled immigration of grubby people from poor countries who don't speak English and are thought likely to have to subsist on benefits or the proceeds of crime. They're markedly less fussed about, for example, waves of Canadians coming over and taking teaching jobs.

It may be rational not to want immigrants from disadvantaged nations but, if those people are identifiable as members of a group, as, for example, are Gypsies, it's racism.
I would say the issue is of culture/language more than ethnicity these days. Nevertheless, whoever comes in, there is a bottleneck on houses, healthcare and education in the UK, and those in towns that are effected are going to be understandably miffed.

Last edited by Shard; May 27th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I would say the issue is of culture/language more than ethnicity these days. Nevertheless, whoever comes in, there is a bottleneck on houses, healthcare and education in the UK, and those in towns that are effected are going to be understandably miffed.
I heard on the news this morning that M Hollande, reeling from Marine Le Pen's success in the Euro elections, is calling for a review of some European institutions, notably the Schengen agreement on the free movement of labour across Europe. Any significant change to the Schengen Area protocols would fundamentally alter the nature of the EU, so it's a big thing for France to be contemplating.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I heard on the news this morning that M Hollande, reeling from Marine Le Pen's success in the Euro elections, is calling for a review of some European institutions, notably the Schengen agreement on the free movement of labour across Europe. Any significant change to the Schengen Area protocols would fundamentally alter the nature of the EU, so it's a big thing for France to be contemplating.
Yes, the real "earthquake" in these Euro elections has been France.

Last edited by Shard; May 27th 2014 at 2:19 pm.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:04 pm

Steady on now.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not, there are limited resources in this country, the taxpayer cannot afford to look after the world, it's that simple. There is nothing wrong with just letting in people who have something to add to the economy regardless of where they come from. If someone wants to work hard & make a life for themselves (whether they are gypsies, or anything else) then they deserve to be here. It's not a racism issue it's an economic one.

(I'm not talking about political asylum seekers here, just people that purposely move to the UK for the free hand outs)
Old May 27th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But what about the local elections? You know the ones that affect peoples everyday lives?
1. What impact do councils have on the EU?
2. I've not been following this closely, but I believe they only put up a limited number of candidates in local elections.

As for UKIP policy, from what I've read, they literally don't have any policies right now other than those related to UK Independence. People are voting for them because they're tired of Brussels telling them what to do.

Not saying I'd support them, but getting out of the EU has to be priority #1 if you want to reform the UK. Until then, most laws will come from Brussels, and UK government policies are pretty much irrelevant.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
1. What impact do councils have on the EU?.
They don't have an impact on the EU, they just decide on things that happen locally. That's why I voted for my local residents association, I trust them to have our community's best interests at heart than I do MP's from the mainstream parties that probably have hidden agendas.
Old May 27th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that surprises me about this,is that it has taken so long!
Some of you have already mentioned points on leaving the EU,uncontrolled immigration,the housing issues,the drain on the benefits system,all very good valid points which have all added up to bring things to this point.
Tony Blair was in such a rush to get his EU gravy train parliament seat that he never bothered his backside to control immigration,he didn't care and left us to deal with the resulting mess.
And people wonder why I couldn't wait to leave the UK.
Yes Canada has its own share of problems,but nowhere near as bad as the EU ballsup!
Good idea,poorly implemented,poorly planned!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.