Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Wow. 6 years as a Peace Ambassador. I didn't know that. Well, the world's certainly a lot more peaceful place than it was in 2008, so you can't say that these UN peeps don't know what they're doing. Thanks for your effort, George. .....
You miserable sarcastic cynic.
..... I'm glad, I don't want to fight, just debate the effectiveness of this position. We shall see in time if she really makes a difference to women's equality, even within the UN, or whether it's just another pointless celebrity endorsement. .....
You miserable sarcastic cynic.
.....Leonardo di Caprio was a UN Climate Change Ambassador? How many of these appointments are there? I'm beginning to feel even more convinced that this is just celeb-tastic lipservice from the UN... easier to hire a celeb to trot out a few platitudes than it is to do anything tanglible.
Er, ...... You miserable sarcastic cynic!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not miserable.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We shall see in time if she really makes a difference to women's equality, even within the UN, or whether it's just another pointless celebrity endorsement.
This kind of change is incremental because people (mainly men) don't like the message. The message is that even in the western world there is gender inequality isn't one that sits comfortably with many men. The reason being, is of course, that they may have played their part in it, probably unconsciously through unconscious gender bias. We all have unconcious bias of some sort, but because men occupy the higher echelons of industry their unconscious bias has more of an impact than many women. Apparently about 30% composition is self-sustaining, ie 30% women and their own biases are influential. As an example take the US top orchestra who every year without fail admitted only 5% women until they did blind auditions and it instantly rocketed to 25% and now is at 50% as women see the possibility and try to enter the field. Would those men hosting the auditions for one minute accepted they were gender biased? of course not, its an uncomfortable admission. Take the number of US CEOS who are tall; unconscious bias at work, or do we really believe tall (> 6 ft) men are better at their job than men who are 5 10/ 5 11?

Worley Parsons, etc are sending their employees on training to recognise their own unconscious bias. PWC is sending 17,000 staff globally on similar training, because they recognise that unconscious bias is standing in the way of optimising their business.

Just maybe Jings if you or anyone like you even think twice about the male atmosphere at your workplace and why that is and why its self-sustaining, then Emma's done a good job.

So change is incremental as the message has to be heard many times to sway opinion. It is and needs to be a multi-pronged attack.

Its interesting to me that really only one male on here has stated there isn't gender equality in the western world (everyone else has come out against it) and yet pretty much every woman on here thinks there is gender inequality; funny that. I don't think its anything to do with our periods though; I think its to do with our observations and experiences. Diverse viewpoints are very important and we need them to run businesses successfully (lots of research) and to win the talent wars.

Last edited by gryphea; Sep 25th 2014 at 2:11 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:19 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Its interesting to me that really only one male on here has stated there isn't gender equality in the western world (everyone else has come out against it) and yet pretty much every woman on here thinks there is gender inequality; funny that. I don't think its anything to do with our periods though; I think its to do with our observations and experiences. Diverse viewpoints are very important and we need them to run businesses successfully (lots of research) and to win the talent wars.
If you're referring to me in your sentence above, I don't think you'll find I said that at all.

I'll take some time to consider the rest of your post though.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Even ginger spice got in on this once.

I assume that these people aren't meant to change anything, but use their fame to make people aware of it. These are PR roles, something famous people are reasonably good at.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
I thought she was ordinary in NOAH
She was ghastly in Noah, everybody was, but then I would vote that to be one of the worst films I've ever seen....I didn't get to the end I walked out....I wondered if Russell Crowe was having an on screen breakdown.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How many of these appointments are there?
A few others
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Perhaps it's sexism that she was chosen as she grew up pretty. Leonardo diCaprio was selected to represent the UN for climate change and he turned out fat and slobby. I can't imagine the UN choosing a fat and slobby woman let alone the world taking any notice.
Leo di Caprio is fat?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You could be right there. It's a sign of how shallow the world is that we need a celeb to get us interested in issues.
I have oft thought that humans are really quite selfish.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting to me that really only one male on here has stated there isn't gender equality in the western world .
Probably a poof.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Probably a poof.
If you aren't vocally with us, you must be against us. Is that how it works?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Probably a poof.
Equality, not ambiguity or cherry-picking.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:47 pm
Lowering the tone

This kind of change is incremental because people (mainly men) don't like the message. The message is that even in the western world there is gender inequality isn't one that sits comfortably with many men. The reason being, is of course, that they may have played their part in it, probably unconsciously through unconscious gender bias. We all have unconcious bias of some sort, but because men occupy the higher echelons of industry their unconscious bias has more of an impact than many women. Apparently about 30% composition is self-sustaining, ie 30% women and their own biases are influential. As an example take the US top orchestra who every year without fail admitted only 5% women until they did blind auditions and it instantly rocketed to 25% and now is at 50% as women see the possibility and try to enter the field. Would those men hosting the auditions for one minute accepted they were gender biased? of course not, its an uncomfortable admission. Take the number of US CEOS who are tall; unconscious bias at work, or do we really believe tall (> 6 ft) men are better at their job than men who are 5 10/ 5 11?

Worley Parsons, etc are sending their employees on training to recognise their own unconscious bias. PWC is sending 17,000 staff globally on similar training, because they recognise that unconscious bias is standing in the way of optimising their business.

Just maybe Jings if you or anyone like you even think twice about the male atmosphere at your workplace and why that is and why its self-sustaining, then Emma's done a good job.

So change is incremental as the message has to be heard many times to sway opinion. It is and needs to be a multi-pronged attack.

Why do so few men become primary school teachers? Is it because they can't do the job, or is it because women are attracted to the job more than men? It is just one of these things... either gender COULD do the job, and should not be prevented from doing it if they wish to, but traditionally one gender has preferred it over another.

- Primary school teacher, nurses - traditional female roles, but nothing to stop a man doing it if they want. The number of males is probably less than 10% and I don't see it increasing soon.

- Construction trades - traditional male roles, nothing to stop women doing it if they want. The number of females is probably around 5% but slowly increasing.

- Professions - law, medicine, accounting, engineering, banking - traditional male roles from the days when women simply stayed at home. Nowadays nobody even notice the gender of these professionals, far less cares about it.

When women complain about lack of representation, they complain about the very top. Well, guess what, I feel excluded from the very top too, but not because of my gender... but because I not prepared to do what it takes to get there, which is to basically work 24/7 and shit on anyone who gets in your way. Ignore your family. Don't take time off because you've had kids. Be a psychopath.

Maybe I just know strong women, but very few of them think their gender is a handicap.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Oh my God.. I've just seen a news article that Victoria Beckham has become a UN Ambassador on Aids.

There she is giving a speech looking all serious in a serious business suit. I can't help feeling that this is more about her and her desperation to be Taken Seriously, and the UN's desire to have Rent-A-Celeb for everything it thinks of.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God.. I've just seen a news article that Victoria Beckham has become a UN Ambassador on Aids.

There she is giving a speech looking all serious in a serious business suit. I can't help feeling that this is more about her and her desperation to be Taken Seriously, and the UN's desire to have Rent-A-Celeb for everything it thinks of.
'I'm a woman and a mother and I want to reach out to women': Victoria Beckham speaks at the UN as she is named goodwill ambassador | Daily Mail Online

Yup. At least you can't complain that this one is chosen based on attractiveness.

Not a patch on Emma Watson.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.