Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
the discrimination is subtle and is still there even if you don't see it.

For a genuinely interesting watch I'd recommend the documentary Miss Representation to see just exactly how the media portrays women in positions of authority.

I think it was the new CEO of HSBC, who was announced as "<so and so>, Mother of three becomes the new CEO."

when would you every hear a man described in such a fashion with regards to his employment?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
She's famous for being Hermione, a role which she's had since she was a child you goddamn pervert
She was famous for playing Hermione. If it wasn't that she is as cute as a button today I doubt she'd still be famous, because she certainly isn't famous for any of the roles she's played since the last Harry Potter film!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she was ordinary in NOAH
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She was famous for playing Hermione. If it wasn't that she is as cute as a button today I doubt she'd still be famous, because she certainly isn't famous for any of the roles she's played since the last Harry Potter film!
But without the harry potter films nobody would know who she was. Her good looks on their own aren't enough as there are plenty of better looking women who aren't famous. The fact that she already is underpins everything she has achieved since.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But without the harry potter films nobody would know who she was. Her good looks on their own aren't enough as there are plenty of better looking women who aren't famous. The fact that she already is underpins everything she has achieved since.
That is undoubtedly correct, in it's entirety.

My point was, to build on your first sentence, that being in the Harry Potter movies was not alone sufficient to make her (still) famous in 2014. Being cute as a button, and presumably having good stylists and makeup artists, has extended her fame. Without another big hit film in the next 2-3 years I doubt we'll hear much more of her when she hits her 30's.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2014 at 12:56 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't we treat George Clooney to the same debate? He's a successful (if pretty average) actor, generally very easy on the eye and is a often an advertising clothes horse. He's also intelligent, socially aware, financially successful and often rants on the injustices in, for example, Darfur. As a celeb, is he unqualified to comment on these things?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
Why don't we treat George Clooney to the same debate? He's a successful (if pretty average) actor, generally very easy on the eye and is a often an advertising clothes horse. He's also intelligent, socially aware, financially successful and often rants on the injustices in, for example, Darfur. As a celeb, is he unqualified to comment on these things?
Sure, though I'm not sure where you're going with that idea. George Clooney seems like a dick to me. I avoid any film that he's in and don't give a stuff what he says about anything.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My missus is hot on equality but I somehow suspect her approach to it would not make her a great ambassador. Not judging from the story she told me a few days ago
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, though I'm not sure where you're going with that idea. George Clooney seems like a dick to me. I avoid any film that he's in and don't give a stuff what he says about anything.
I'm just using the same argument that Jings used in his opener. Emma is unqualified. Are all celebs unqualified? I guess we don't know enough about Emma yet to decide if she is a dick, but does it make the message any less meaningful?

As a celeb of any kind, you will never be judged as the ordinary voice. But who listens to the ordinary voices? Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. On the one hand, why not use their high profile to promote something, and on the other hand "how would they know, they live in a palace".....
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
But George Clooney speaks as a private individual, and is therefore mostly - and rightfully- politely ignored. Nobody from the UN has decided "There's a big problem in Darfur and I think only a Hollywood star can save the day."

BTW, I heard EW's speech, and for a professional actress she sounded very wooden and nervous. The speech itself was full of the usual empty platitudes... I half expected her to say "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony...". But that's all by-the-by because my main point was absolutely nothing against Ms Watson herself, but against the UN for thinking that she is the most apropriate figurehead for feminism. that must be a real kick in the teeth for all the dedicated women who work tirelessly in fields like science and industry.

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Sep 25th 2014 at 12:47 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
But George Clooney speaks as a private individual, and is therefore mostly - and rightfully- politely ignored. Nobody from the UN has decided "There's a big problem in Darfur and I think only a Hollywood star can save the day. ....
That's not true. George Clooney was a UN Ambassador for Peace from 2008-2014. So unfortunately someone at the UN did think that George was going to save the day in Darfur.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2014 at 1:02 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

that must be a real kick in the teeth for all the dedicated women who work tirelessly in fields like science and industry.
That's me and I liked it,
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's sexism that she was chosen as she grew up pretty. Leonardo diCaprio was selected to represent the UN for climate change and he turned out fat and slobby. I can't imagine the UN choosing a fat and slobby woman let alone the world taking any notice.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

That's not true. George Clooney was a UN Ambassador for Peace from 2008-2014. So unfortunately someone at the UN did think that George was going to save the day in Darfur.
Wow. 6 years as a Peace Ambassador. I didn't know that. Well, the world's certainly a lot more peaceful place than it was in 2008, so you can't say that these UN peeps don't know what they're doing. Thanks for your effort, George.

Originally Posted by gryphea
That's me and I liked it,
I'm glad, I don't want to fight, just debate the effectiveness of this position. We shall see in time if she really makes a difference to women's equality, even within the UN, or whether it's just another pointless celebrity endorsement.

Originally Posted by bats
Perhaps it's sexism that she was chosen as she grew up pretty. Leonardo diCaprio was selected to represent the UN for climate change and he turned out fat and slobby. I can't imagine the UN choosing a fat and slobby woman let alone the world taking any notice.
Leonardo di Caprio was a UN Climate Change Ambassador? How many of these appointments are there? I'm beginning to feel even more convinced that this is just celeb-tastic lipservice from the UN... easier to hire a celeb to trot out a few platitudes than it is to do anything tanglible.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Leonardo di Caprio was a UN Climate Change Ambassador? How many of these appointments are there? I'm beginning to feel even more convinced that this is just celeb-tastic lipservice from the UN... easier to hire a celeb to trot out a few platitudes than it is to do anything tanglible.
You could be right there. It's a sign of how shallow the world is that we need a celeb to get us interested in issues. I applaud the idea that Emma Watson was chosen as she is very popular with young girls and women. If it makes the more aware of inherent misogyny especially before going to college and uni where abuse and rape aren't always condemned then it's a good appointment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.