Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I said nothing of the sort and you know it.
I heard you were saying Hooters isn't an equal opportunities employer- yet the Manager is male and so are the kitchen staff.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I heard you were saying Hooters isn't an equal opportunities employer- yet the Manager is male and so are the kitchen staff.
I think too many wimmin on this thread must be on their period.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think too many wimmin on this thread must be on their period.
You should see the last few pages of the gozit smartphone thread.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Discrimination definitely exists. If you are female and work in a hospital people first ask if you are a nurse. If male they ask if you are a doctor. More than once I've been the person in charge working with a junior male trainee and patients direct their questions to him.
My next door neighbour is a Professor of Chemical Engineering at UNB, she's also South American and very lovely, she regularly gets told when visiting other universities that the secretarial staff can't drink the coffee in the Professor's lounge. Women face daily discrimination in every part of the world, in the West we just hide it better, and come up with better justifications.

No, Carol Vorderman is not thinking man's crumpet! She's an OAP probably and should keep her bloody knockers to herself...why does she keep displaying them? Emma Watson is a good role model for young women, she's pretty and can express herself (and no Oink her tits aren't too small....she's 'fit' not fat and has the brain cells to think she doesn't have to have them plastically enhanced to succeed).
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Thank you so much Alan....I couldn't give a sh*t about phones so didn't bother to read it...what was I missing! What fun
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
...Carol Vorderman....should keep her bloody knockers to herself...why does she keep displaying them?
I didn't have a clue what that was about until I googled (purely for research of course) How did you know?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If I have to look at a feminist then I'm sure glad it is Emma Watson.

She could work at Hooters for sure. ....
Either you don't know the sort of women that Hooters hires to be waitresses, or you're talking about a different Emma Watson from the famous actress. She might be pretty, and I think she is, but she is not, er, .... equipped, to be a Hooters waitress.

She trades on her fame more than her good looks I think.
And she's famous because ..... ?

(Clue: She does not resemble the rear end of a hippo.)

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2014 at 1:49 am.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Are you suggesting that outcome measured by salary should be equal between the genders for any occupation to demonstrate equality of opportunity in that occupation?
No.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:42 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ha well I know you can't be talking about me then!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:55 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Either you don't know the sort of women that Hooters hires to be waitresses, or you're talking about a different Emma Watson from the famous actress. She might be pretty, and I think she is, but she is not, er, .... equipped, to be a Hooters waitress.
Ahem.

Hooters is a family restaurant.

If I tell the manager she is good enough. She is good enough.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem.

Hooters is a family restaurant. ....
Of course it is.

I read an article recently on CNNMoney about the growth and success of Hooters and several similar restaurants (Twin Peaks, The Tilted Kilt, and two or three others). They were grouped under a sub-segment of restaurants called "breastaurants".

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2014 at 3:34 am.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

And she's famous because ..... ?

(Clue: She does not resemble the rear end of a hippo.)
She's famous for being Hermione, a role which she's had since she was a child you goddamn pervert
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yep mad, crazy notion. Silly woman, should look ugly and wear dungarees like a real feminist.
lol I don't mean that. Just saying that she got selected solely for that, and yes, the UN is a superficial place. A woman with some life experience or genuine perspectives would be preferred, good looks are definitely a bonus, why not?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't listened to her speech, and have no intention of doing so. She's an actress, so I'm sure she delivered it splendidly. Did she write it?

What was the gist of it? I look around me in my comfortable life in the West and I don't see how women do not have equal opportunity to men.
Actually there are definitely boys' clubs and men dominate the exec ranks.

In other countries, there is systematic inequality, but I agree that our Western friendly females have it better, but I would not deny there is inequality. Justified or not is a hot topic but there is also outright discrimination, which is wrong, IMO.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh. Look more closely.

- stereotyping in education is the first handicap. If a girl is told from an early age that "girls don't do that" then she's less likely to be inclined to do it. If "that" is blowing up frogs there may not be much lost but "that" may be rocket science. It is not the case that society encourages students to achieve whatever they can regardless of gender. One hears no end of claptrap about people of specific genders being good at this or not good at that.

- woman are disadvantaged in the workplace due to the impact on their ability to work should they have children. Obviously a woman who elects to have a child is less useful to an employer than a man but not less useful than a woman who will not have children. All women suffer employment discrimination because some will bear children; the proof of this being that, in comfortable western societies, women are typically paid less than men for doing the same job.

I have heard of other inequalities but they're less obvious and/or less easily demonstrated; I'm not convinced of the notion that something is necessarily discrimination because the victim considers it to be discrimination.
Some excellent points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.