Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

We get it.

You don't like religion.

You bring your hatred it of it into every thread.

Can you give it a rest now????
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:49 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Your first point I can agree with, though I think that it may be worse in Canada than the UK, what with their 1970s world view and all. But again, the fact that I work with more male engineers than female is not because of an inherent lack of opportunity or equality - it's a societal self-imposed gender divide. VERY different to a lack of equality or opportunity.

I could not disagree with you more on this point. Try being one of only 4 females on a physics/engineering degree program. Try achieving despite the 10% or so you are marked down every assignment compared to your male peers. Try getting into the research groups that will help you make the connections needed to further your career when none of your professors feel you should be there in the first place.

the discrimination is subtle and is still there even if you don't see it.

For a genuinely interesting watch I'd recommend the documentary Miss Representation to see just exactly how the media portrays women in positions of authority.

I think it was the new CEO of HSBC, who was announced as "<so and so>, Mother of three becomes the new CEO."

when would you every hear a man described in such a fashion with regards to his employment?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
We get it.

You don't like religion.

You bring it into every thread.

Can you give it a rest now????
It's relevant to the discussion. Gender equality is at it worst owing to religion. As Jings has just written, the amount of gender inequality in the UK and Canada is negligible (at least it can be argued that). This is not the case in certain religious communities which are set up on misogynist lines. I won't bring it up on a thread about smartphones or cheese, but if the discussion is about women or schooling or other society type issues, I will bring it up.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You have a point here. For discrimination to be demonstrated we'd have to know that women who did not take time out have lower salaries than men, rather than the average income of all women in the workplace being distorted by the reduced income of those who did take time out (from what would otherwise have been fabulously remunerative careers). I believe that to be true and will see if I can dig up some numbers this afternoon.
I think this weeks apega salary stats demonstrate this, after all they are grade for grade; they are not stats based on age.

At my work we see younger men taking significant paternity leave and quite a few women have house husbands. I think Jings 5 years off is way off the mark; I know no-one in the workplace who did that.

But I can't believe his views are real and think he is trying to wind me up!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Let's take a breath here...

I'm not so naive as to think that no gender discrimination takes place. Of course it does. BUT, in the West, I think it's negligible compared to other everyday discriminations... what school you went to, skin colour, race/cultural, even homophobia.

If you choose to measure gender equality/inequality solely by the workplace or salary as seems to be the case here, then I argue very strongly that young women DO have virtually the same OPPORTUNITY as young men. Life - marriage, children - mean that many women cannot take up those opportunities in the same way that men do, and so end up losing out. But I'll argue all day long that that is not inherent gender discrimination.

Anyway, to go back to my main point, which was the irony of appointing Emma Watson to the role - if you want to select a figurehead for women's equality in the workplace, is a young actress-cum-clothes horse really the best way to do that? Don't you think a fashion/cosmetic model is actually reinforcing gender stereotypes?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think most have answered that we don't think Emma Watson is a problematic choice.

Isn't your position slightly ironic? You don't see there being a general inequality in the West but you do see Emma as reinforcing the stereotype?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think most have answered that we don't think Emma Watson is a problematic choice.

Isn't your position slightly ironic? You don't see there being a general inequality in the West but you do see Emma as reinforcing the stereotype?
I agree with Jingles here. I think she was a poor choice mainly as her tits are too small.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 24th 2014 at 2:53 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I agree with Jingles here. I think she was a poor choice mainly as her tits are too small.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

It's not my position that's ironic. Do you think that a young woman who trades on her physical appearance to sell makeup and frocks is an empowering role model who will encourage more young women take up traditionally male workplace roles like engineering...?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

She trades on her fame more than her good looks I think.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:47 pm
Yo

It's not my position that's ironic. Do you think that a young woman who trades on her physical appearance to sell makeup and frocks is an empowering role model who will encourage more young women take up traditionally male workplace roles like engineering...?
I don't have a people trading on their physical appearance. It's not for everyone though, and it's definitely not for those that have not been blessed with good looks. Plenty of other role models exist for women who want to empower themselves.

Anyway, her main message appears to be that men should stick up for women. I imagine you would agree with that in the end.

Last edited by Shard; Sep 24th 2014 at 3:49 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A systemic gender divide is indicative of a lack of equality. It's not probable that all the women who are not engineers decided independently that it was a job better suited to men. If there are few women, or men, in a line of work it's because there's a societal bias against that gender in that line of work (with some rare exceptions; wet nurse, surrogate mother, whatever useful thing men can do with their bits).

You have a point here. For discrimination to be demonstrated we'd have to know that women who did not take time out have lower salaries than men, rather than the average income of all women in the workplace being distorted by the reduced income of those who did take time out (from what would otherwise have been fabulously remunerative careers). I believe that to be true and will see if I can dig up some numbers this afternoon.
Are you suggesting that outcome measured by salary should be equal between the genders for any occupation to demonstrate equality of opportunity in that occupation?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Discrimination definitely exists. If you are female and work in a hospital people first ask if you are a nurse. If male they ask if you are a doctor. More than once I've been the person in charge working with a junior male trainee and patients direct their questions to him. I'll bet that when Zoe says she is/was a teacher the assumption was that she taught something in the arts.

In professions that are female dominated, such as nursing, it's common for the male nurses to be promoted rather than a female nurse.

Oh and Emma Watson is an actor not an actress, there's no need for a different job title.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Keep digging.

Women aren't taking up engineering because of makeup and 'frocks'?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Keep digging.

Women aren't taking up engineering because of makeup and 'frocks'?
I said nothing of the sort and you know it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.