Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are electrical white goods reall THAT expensive?

Are electrical white goods reall THAT expensive?

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:31 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are electrical white goods reall THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Service intervals rightfully can vary a bit from country to country because of extreme high/low tempuratures, elevation etc.

You would expect a car run in a seriously hot or seriously cold country to require servicing more than a car run in a very moderate climate.

BUT YES - actually I agree with you completely. I've seen identical models in the same country some with service intervals set at 10,000 miles, and another at 20,000 long life. It's the same car!!
Whats a moderate climate? Consider that in flight, the engine globally wants to run at about 80c, way above any climate, so theres only the question of how long it takes to get there, so i dont buy its got anything much to do with climate.

I used to work for a components manufacturer, and was told engines dont wear much, they corrode, the corrosion is mainly to plain bearings, and iron things like piston rings when the engine is cool and condensation may form inside before heat removes it. Not getting the engine hot is the worst thing for it. The oils corrosion protection and cooling ability is as important as its lubrication function.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Getting off topic there, so no reply from me on that :-)
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:38 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

But the car was white
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Cold is becoming a big problem for cars. I was reading recently about some new cars wearing out their engines because they don't get warm enough in the winter in cold countries to boil off the fuel that's forced into the oil by the high chamber pressure from the direct injection and turbos, and the water that accumulates over time. Between them, that thins the oil and leads to increased wear.

So that does, to some extent, justify more servicing here than countries that don't get so cold.

Of course, it also probably completely eliminates any cost benefit of reduced fuel use from the direct injection and turbos.

But, yeah, I wouldn't buy a white car here because I want the tow truck to be able to see me if I get stuck in the snow out in the wilds.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey MarkG - agree, but don't get drawn in, lol!!!

This is a discussion on white goods costs, not on car servicing. Maybe start a new forum post for that?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh you're very strict. I don't think threads on that are allowed tho.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:46 pm

Its not strictly related directly per se to moving abroad, so the whole thread should be deleted, and all contributors soundly whipped till they admit the error of their ways.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:13 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Its not strictly related directly per se to moving abroad, so the whole thread should be deleted, and all contributors soundly whipped till they admit the error of their ways.
sounds fun!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its simple innit?
If you are considering moving to Canada you have the choice of either bringing used (not new) white goods with you OR buying them over here new or used.
Of course you can complain about the price of them compared to the UK or USA but when you have 6 hampers of dirty laundry or you need to eat (stove) or store food (fridge/freezer) then if you haven't got those items then life becomes a bit more complicated.
I have not known anyone yet to stop emigrating because of the price of white goods.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:31 pm

True post Lancastrian, but it’s so complex sometimes. Here the native powers 220v but all decent houses have both 220 and 120v sockets, and you can import from Europe or the us or buy here both voltages, you find some strange anomalies like Samsung fridges from the us which even with dutyand shipping are cheaper than the same thing bought in the uk without duty shipping etc. However Samsung professional washing machines the reverse is true.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
True post Lancastrian, but it’s so complex sometimes. Here the native powers 220v but all decent houses have both 220 and 120v sockets, and you can import from Europe or the us or buy here both voltages, you find some strange anomalies like Samsung fridges from the us which even with dutyand shipping are cheaper than the same thing bought in the uk without duty shipping etc. However Samsung professional washing machines the reverse is true.
Its not complex to a degree and here is why.
Warranties: Some companies will not cover warranties where item bought in one country but being used in another.
Returns: PITA if bought in Texas and you live in Toronto and have to return it.
Insurance policies could be invalid if the company finds that certain electrical appliances were present and did not meet standards especially in Ontario which most choose to ignore
Who Can Certify Electrical Products in Ontario

Per Ontario Reg. 438/07, electrical products can only be certified by agencies that have been accredited by the Standards Council of Canada. No other product approval markings are accepted in Ontario.

Years ago I bought numerous white goods from Sears USA while living in Ontario but needed them inspected prior to install.
Granted most stuff bought in the USA will comply to CSA standards as they use the UL system but do you want to be in a fight with insurance companies?

There are sufficient places to buy new/demo, refurbished or used appliances unless living in the boonies.

Dyson UK Cyclone v10 Animal cordless vacuum new 400 quid.
In Canada $699 plus 15% taxes = 805.
Exchange rate online quoting 1.83 so equals $733

So now your Dyson stops working what do you do?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:41 pm

Actually the dyson ones easy, they fit in a suitcase, i have one in the caribbean and one in the uk, and they travel as needed. Buy from costco, lifetime warranty, return and get your money back if it fails [would you believe they will return cash on a 10 year old broken own brand suitcase...]

Samsung stuff has a great reputation in the tropics, things die in strange ways here, and they really do last. To be fair as do good american upright washing machines. They give global 5 year warrantues - 10 year on big parts sometimes.

The ultimate long term items are miele washing machines, they have 10 year global warranties as standard, a 25 year spares policy and are happy to provide video chats with their engineers if you are abroad, though their new web connected kit does a level of self/remote assisted diagnostics.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Insurance policies could be invalid if the company finds that certain electrical appliances were present and did not meet standards especially in Ontario which most choose to ignore
We ignore it because it's empty headed scaremongering. Where is an example of a claim being declined on this basis?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
We ignore it because it's empty headed scaremongering. Where is an example of a claim being declined on this basis?
I dont have one the same as you dont know if it has actually happened or not. Ontario is one of the only Provinces who introduced this silly rule about buying US appliances and then using them in Canada. Scaremongering it may well be but why was it introduced?
Perhaps Ontario has mellowed somewhat since I did this quite a few years ago.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I dont have one the same as you dont know if it has actually happened or not.
If someone asserts that something is true, they should be able to substantiate it. It's not for the rest of the world to prove that pigs aren't flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.