Don't Panic

Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't Panic

Have just got round to starting to re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide after stumbling on the old podcast. Enjoying a bit more this time (22 years later) maybe I am a bit more clued up on some of the references now.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Panic

I assumed this was a thread about something else and came in to make a quip about HHG.

I have a complete combined volume of The Guide and I really must read it again - in fact I think I have only read the first three or four of the individual books.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I assumed this was a thread about something else and came in to make a quip about HHG.

I have a complete combined volume of The Guide and I really must read it again - in fact I think I have only read the first three or four of the individual books.
How many are there? I only thought it was the one?!
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being at work in the 70s when it was originally on the radio and a couple of colleagues not much older than me were talking about it from the night before. I thought what...they listen to the radio and it's not music? What can it be?
I listened and I enjoyed it straight away.

I thought the TV series was good too - it seemed true to the radio series.

The movie? Didn't like it at all.

Funnily enough, back in May I downloaded the TV series and all four parts of the trilogy in audio form.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How many are there? I only thought it was the one?!
I have just been to fetch my combined volume - there are six books:

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
- Life, the Universe and Everything
- So Long and Thanks For All the Fish
- Young Zaphod Plays It Safe*, and
- Mostly Harmless

The Guide actually exists in multiple forms, none of which overlap exactly - books, radio series, TV series, records/tapes, and the film, which was terrible! Note the radio series do not match the records/tapes

The "Young Zaphod .... " book isn't technically a part of The Guide, and there is another book titled "And Another Thing", which is billed as another installment of The Guide but wasn't written by Douglas Adams,

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 16th 2017 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all

Don't forget the Salmon of Doubt,

Posthumous release of draft chapters and notes / some autobiographical pages from Douglas as well.

and do try the Dirk Gently series of novels too, holistic detectiving seems like a wonderful way to go through life.

I have about 5 different versions of the various collections of the novels, though more often i will now just reread them on the kindle app where they can be picked up quite cheap.

For what its worth "And another thing" is terribly ok, may as well read it but only to get out of the ending Douglas left the series in (which he too didn't like)

Watch the 80s BBC series for laughs
skip the 2005 movie for your sanity
listen to the bbc radio 4 adaptions
dont panic
know where your towel is.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

This seems a golden opportunity to share a photo a friend - currently residing in Amsterdam - posted to Fb the other day with the caption "Probably out delivering the world's third-worst poetry - almost."

I'll just leave it here
Attached Thumbnails Don't Panic-dutch-delivery-van.jpg