Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anywhere in Canada have shutters?

Does anywhere in Canada have shutters?

Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:00 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anywhere in Canada have shutters?

Here in NB we have foul winters but I never see shutters. We have 'lots' of trees and shutters are very practical.

My shutters on my French home protected me from the sun and the cold. It's often struck me as odd that they aren't here. I had a big chat in my office, with a number of Francophones too and they didn't know why they aren't here...do you have them in Quebec peut etre?

I also can't find coloured roller blinds...I want a big red one for my kitchen window so I don't have to see the snow..unless I have one specially made I can only buy white? The Canadians at work seemed to think this was normal...am I going senile (no responses please) but I'm sure I have bought ready made colored roller blinds before
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anywhere in Canada have shutters?

Originally Posted by MillieF
Here in NB we have foul winters but I never see shutters. We have 'lots' of trees and shutters are very practical.

My shutters on my French home protected me from the sun and the cold. It's often struck me as odd that they aren't here. I had a big chat in my office, with a number of Francophones too and they didn't know why they aren't here...do you have them in Quebec peut etre?

I also can't find coloured roller blinds...I want a big red one for my kitchen window so I don't have to see the snow..unless I have one specially made I can only buy white? The Canadians at work seemed to think this was normal...am I going senile (no responses please) but I'm sure I have bought ready made colored roller blinds before
We have fake shutters, silly narrows strips down either side of the windows. I've not seen French style ones but some of the older cottages and lodges have a type that lifts open, propped up or held with rope.

You can buy internal shutters and colonial style shutters. I get my blinds online from either Blinds Canada or Select Blinds. Both are good quality, service is good too as are the prices. They have coloured roller blinds .
Old Nov 18th 2017, 4:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Look for security shutters - a neighbour had them, they are like a steel rollerblind for the outside. (these 2 are examples, there's lots of companies that sell them)
Exterior Rolling Security Window Shutters | Canadian Shade
ROLCO : Residential Window Roll Shutters

This company will make functioning louvered shutters https://www.elitetrimworks.com/Premi...-exterior.html

You may find it easier to find 'French style ones' from the US - look for "colonial hurricane shutters"

http://www.hurricaneshuttersflorida....l_shutters.php
https://pcshuttersusa.com/products/colonial-shutters/

As for the coloured blind, buy a white one and paint it. - or you could look on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Oriental-Furni...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.ca/Chicology-Cord...ords=red+blind

https://www.amazon.ca/Sunlover-Therm...ords=red+blind

Edited to add, Wayfair also has some: https://www.wayfair.ca/window-treatm...236%2C22947225
https://www.wayfair.ca/window-treatm...360%2C17703363

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 18th 2017 at 5:02 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I also can't find coloured roller blinds...I want a big red one for my kitchen window so I don't have to see the snow..unless I have one specially made I can only buy white? .
I have a black one but I can't remember where it came from or if it was already here.

Mind you, the previous people had custom drapes in the front windows. We still have those, albeit one set in a cupboard.

Perhaps it's like bog paper - white only.

Originally Posted by bats
We have fake shutters, silly narrows strips down either side of the windows...
We have those too, but I like the way they break up the white expanse.
You can buy internal shutters and colonial style shutters.
We have some too.
Can it be that practical outside shutters would interfere with the mozzie screens?
Old Nov 18th 2017, 9:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We have fake shutters, silly narrows strips down either side of the windows.
We took those off the house as part of the exterior refurbishment, sanded and painted them (black gloss) then decided not to put them back. If anyone has use for them come and get them.

I would like proper exterior shutters like these ones on the house of my ex. The basement ones work by hand held remote (or if you want to be able to open and close them from Australia, by cell phone), the ones on the other floors are manual but, imo, sturdy and attractive.
Attached Thumbnails Does anywhere in Canada have shutters?-dsc_0271.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2017, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We took those off the house as part of the exterior refurbishment, sanded and painted them (black gloss) then decided not to put them back. If anyone has use for them come and get them.
Keep them to use for barricading the windows when the zombie apocalypse comes.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 10:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
As for the coloured blind, buy a white one and paint it.
$5 spray bomb and you'll have enough left for something else.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:59 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you painted them. My house is quite brick-blocky, could do with help in breaking it up.

I would like proper exterior shutters like these ones on the house of my ex. The basement ones work by hand held remote (or if you want to be able to open and close them from Australia, by cell phone), the ones on the other floors are manual but, imo, sturdy and attractive.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Shame you painted them. My house is quite brick-blocky, could do with help in breaking it up.
They're wood and were painted when we moved here. I'm not sure what else could be done with them. What do you have in mind?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

See the 1st two links in my post - that's what they do, all remote
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
See the 1st two links in my post - that's what they do, all remote
Added to the list, thanks. New additions to the list should be considered in early 2019.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:12 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I think a natural stain - maybe cedar- would be quite good. They would be high enough that the lack of grain wouldn't read.

They're wood and were painted when we moved here. I'm not sure what else could be done with them. What do you have in mind?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:18 am
Oscar nominated

I think a natural stain - maybe cedar- would be quite good. They would be high enough that the lack of grain wouldn't read.
You might need to explain that to us lesser mortals.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

I see. This house once belonged to people who lived on the Danforth, they used it as a hunting lodge. The neighbours refer to them as "the Greeks" as in "the Greeks rebuilt after the tornado took the house away". The shutters were originally a medium blue, as one might expect. We didn't take them back to bare wood but to a smooth bluish look. No help to you then.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 11:41 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you as ever, for your responses...I must say I never thought of painting a roller blind...
You've given me lots of possibilities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.