Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anyone keep buying a new printer?

Does anyone keep buying a new printer?

Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone keep buying a new printer?

Originally Posted by dave_j
The answer is generally no.
When a printer dies, I look on ebay to see where I can buy the cheapest batch of ink cartridges...then I look at Craigslist for the cheapest secondhand printer that fits the bill. I did buy a new one a few months ago but only because I had a load of cartridges with no home and a new one cost little more than a used one....
That's exactly it.
Staples is selling an HP wireless printer for $37, down by over $30. What's an old used one going to cost? If you have a bunch of cartridges, then by all means buy a printer to make use of them.

Originally Posted by Davita
As a snowbird, and keeping two homes, it was always a problem when the printer ink had dried on return to either home.
I found by immersing the print-head in boiling water and drying on tissue till I saw some ink leak out, then re-installing and doing the printer-cleaning process, it worked every time.
That's useful, thanks. A bit like licking the nib of a ballpoint pen

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We have done that several times but you do have to be aware that the cartridges that come with the printer are NOT fully filled, usually around 60% only.now we've settled on a printer that does just what we want and we get cheap refill cartridges.
Ah, good, not just me then. I checked the sample quantity before I bought and the guy confirmed not full, but it was still more than my expected use. In fact a new cartridge was installed a year ago so the sample lasted around 18 months.

Just a shame that second use almost a year after the new one was installed, it's dry.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:06 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I find that the cheapest way to buy cartridges is to use my company credit card. Costs me zip.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BristolUK;12415450]That's exactly it.
Staples is selling an HP wireless printer for $37, down by over $30. What's an old used one going to cost? If you have a bunch of cartridges, then by all means buy a printer to make use of them.

That's useful, thanks. A bit like licking the nib of a ballpoint pen

Ah, good, not just me then. I checked the sample quantity before I bought and the guy confirmed not full, but it was still more than my expected use. In fact a new cartridge was installed a year ago so the sample lasted around 18 months.

Just a shame that second use almost a year after the new one was installed, it's dry.[/QUOT

Some of them come with a plastic clip that covers the nozzles. Is it worth seeing if you can take them out of the printer and storing them so they won't dry out?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rom+drying+out
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Some of them come with a plastic clip that covers the nozzles. Is it worth seeing if you can take them out of the printer and storing them so they won't dry out?
Something for stepdaughter to look at, thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Davita
I found by immersing the print-head in boiling water and drying on tissue till I saw some ink leak out, then re-installing and doing the printer-cleaning process, it worked every time.
So, stepdaughter went to get a new cartridge after work tonight. She decided to get a colour one as well as black as there was a discount for doing so.

I told her about this idea and she immediately tried it while I carried on making dinner. It immediately did the trick. Great idea, thanks.

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Some of them come with a plastic clip that covers the nozzles....
Not this kind apparently. A peel off sticker or some such. Maybe it peels back on. or is that repeel?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
All useful suggestions but none of it changes the basic premise that regardless of how much printing is done, it's possible to spend less buying a new printer than replacement ink cartridges.

Had my printing needs remain unchanged I would still be faced with the choice outlined in the first post.
I have 4 printers at the moment. All purchased new for less than the cost of buying ink for the one they replaced, and all better or the same as the previous model.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:44 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by lansbury
I have 4 printers at the moment. All purchased new for less than the cost of buying ink for the one they replaced, and all better or the same as the previous model.
Yay....that's three of us then. Or four counting dave_j who said no but did buy a new one cheaper than a used one. Three and a half?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:49 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

A half? I think that just about sums me up..
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I buy black ink only, I change the black cartridge and leave the colour one dry, I then set to print in monochrome

Any pics I have I have them done at Walmart
That's what I do now too....otherwise yoyr stuck in the perpetual cycle of buying new printers all the time. This cost of the ink cartridges has always been an issue, so I stick to black now, and if I want colour, go to Walmart.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:25 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dave_j
A half? I think that just about sums me up..
Are you Jacko?

Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:52 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So, stepdaughter went to get a new cartridge after work tonight. She decided to get a colour one as well as black as there was a discount for doing so.

I told her about this idea and she immediately tried it while I carried on making dinner. It immediately did the trick. Great idea, thanks.
I told her she should return for refund of the $55. No point spending that on something that won't be needed for a while yet. She did that today.

I don't anticipate needing a print of anything until next January.