Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else find it ironic...

Originally Posted by jimf
So what's the likelyhood of the situation being any different in the second week of May?
To whom was that directed?

If to me, then I'd have to say I haven't a clue, but why are you asking?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the likelyhood of the situation being any different in the second week of May?

It seems likely that the current governing party will still be in Government, but with an increased mandate. I can't wait to hear the comments on this forum should the prove to be the case
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It seems likely that the current governing party will still be in Government, but with an increased mandate. I can't wait to hear the comments on this forum should the prove to be the case
Were that to be the case, my only comment would be that it's essential to accept the will of the electorate.

I might be less magnanimous in expressing my opinion of said electorate. Which isn't very high anyway.

I might also start planning for an early retirement.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
To whom was that directed?

If to me, then I'd have to say I haven't a clue, but why are you asking?
Anyone who's passionate about Canadian politics, or failing that the PM's hair.

Is there any point in holding an election when the highly likely outcome is the status quo? Is that 5 in 7 years now? That's as bad as Italy used to be.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Were that to be the case, my only comment would be that it's essential to accept the will of the electorate.

I might be less magnanimous in expressing my opinion of said electorate. Which isn't very high anyway.

I might also start planning for an early retirement.
I remember being a student in the UK when the 1997 UK election campaigns were in process. We had a political scientist prof give us a couple of lectures on the constitution. He stated with great sadness that, essentially, the election was likely to be a US style beauty parade rather that an argument on the substance of the policies being put forward.

It was the first election of which I had ever taken any notice and, I believe, he was correct. It seems that every political comment or campaign that I have witnessed either side of the Atlantic has descended into a similar parade.

I would be interested to know what percentage of the electorate in the UK or Canada actually know what policies the parties are putting forward at election time or where the parties have differed on policy during the course of the last term.

Did anyone care whether Churchill was banging his secretary, what Disraeli did on his weekends or what Gladstone ate for breakfast? I would love to see a return to policy based decisions as opposed to decisions based on which candidate is best dressed
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:52 pm
Born again atheist

I remember being a student in the UK when the 1997 UK election campaigns were in process. We had a political scientist prof give us a couple of lectures on the constitution. He stated with great sadness that, essentially, the election was likely to be a US style beauty parade rather that an argument on the substance of the policies being put forward.

It was the first election of which I had ever taken any notice and, I believe, he was correct. It seems that every political comment or campaign that I have witnessed either side of the Atlantic has descended into a similar parade.

I would be interested to know what percentage of the electorate in the UK or Canada actually know what policies the parties are putting forward at election time or where the parties have differed on policy during the course of the last term.

Did anyone care whether Churchill was banging his secretary, what Disraeli did on his weekends or what Gladstone ate for breakfast? I would love to see a return to policy based decisions as opposed to decisions based on which candidate is best dressed
I concur in that (which is a first for you and me).

Do you have the details on the secretary banging incident with Winston?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, pre election all parties say the same thing... improve education, cut taxes, more money for NHS etc etc etc. Is it any surprise it descends into pretty soundbites ?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who's passionate about Canadian politics, or failing that the PM's hair.

Is there any point in holding an election when the highly likely outcome is the status quo? Is that 5 in 7 years now? That's as bad as Italy used to be.
Four in seven isn't it?

Harper obviously thinks this is his last best chance to get a majority. He wouldn't have provoked the election otherwise. He might well be right.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Four in seven isn't it?

Harper obviously thinks this is his last best chance to get a majority. He wouldn't have provoked the election otherwise. He might well be right.
Oh ok 4 in 7 sounds so much better.......

What was in the budget that was so provocative? Most seem to think it was a non event really.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I would think the best possible result would be another Conservative minority. I sincerely hope they don't get a majority.

I don't see either of the other two parties (the Bloc don't count) getting enough votes to form a government.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:55 pm
Born again atheist

That's one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen.

You seem to think that an opportunity to express yourself at the poll is an imposition rather than a privilege. I'd sound out any Egyptian friends you might have on that subject.

I'm so sorry if you have to miss a trip to Timmies on voting day.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:57 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I would think the best possible result would be another Conservative minority. I sincerely hope they don't get a majority.
And here is the irony of Harper banging on about the devilish coalition.

No-one, no-one at all can vote for a Conservative minority or any other overall result.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Only TV debates can change things. The electroral fighting ground for all parties is as predictable as a Canadian winter. No-one (really, no-one) expected Clegg and the Liberals to rise as they did in May because of the TV debates -- although they eventually slid away -- so here's hoping that Iggy or Layton can really shine through personality-wise, because otherwise it'll be Harper with a greater number of seats. Probably an outright majority.

If you're the strategist for the Liberals you must've done the milk round at school. Why force an election within 40 days when that far behind in the polls? There had to be an election next year anyway, and it was always likely that Harper was going to do somehting studpid like prorogue parliament before that time. The opposition should've waited than force down a "not liberal, but hard to argue with" Budget. That will rebound on them big time.

Duhh!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

No-one, no-one at all can vote for a Conservative minority or any other overall result.
Well I for one will not be voting Conservative.

However in my riding that is akin to p*ssing into the wind.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:25 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well I for one will not be voting Conservative.

However in my riding that is akin to p*ssing into the wind.
Take comfort in the fact that, thanks to the resistance of the opposition in 2008/9, Harper has been thwarted in completely devaluing your vote.

It's worth $1.85 (I think) to the party of your choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.