Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else find it ironic...

Originally Posted by jimf
Seems like a fair enough summary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12843968
Agreed. Well summed up. Kudos to the Beeb.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Except that it seems to credit Harper with the relative strength of the Canadian economy. The truth is that the strength of the economy is the achievement of the Chretien/Martin Liberal government, digging Canada out of a hole left by the previous Conservative administration.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Except that it seems to credit Harper with the relative strength of the Canadian economy. The truth is that the strength of the economy is the achievement of the Chretien/Martin Liberal government, digging Canada out of a hole left by the previous Conservative administration.
Yea, well I already pointed that out.

BTW I have a bit of advice for the opposition parties tomorrow.

From what I've read, after Harper is found in contempt of the House, that body has a constitutional right to commit him summarily to gaol.

Now the advantage of this is that he wouldn't be eligible to stand as a candidate in the forthcoming election.

Clearly, this isn't going to happen, but it does raise the question of who the hell would lead the party if it did?

I mean, what a bunch of lightweights. Lawrence "what's up" Cannon (haha)? John "bite yer ass" Baird (hoho)? Bev "NOT" Oda? Jim "no crisis here" Flaherty? Jason "not in my house" Kenny?

I'm sure I've forgotten the rest, but really! What a bunch of losers.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

How about Tony "thousands* of Canadians emailed me to complain about it" Clement?

* 23 on recount.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How about Tony "thousands* of Canadians emailed me to complain about it" Clement?

* 23 on recount.
You're not counting the PMs of support.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

* 23 on recount.
Ah, yes. Him too. Exceedingly forgettable.

Then there's Rona "Environment? f*** that, what about my hair?" Ambrose.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, as you know, I am nowhere near as clued up on such things as the experts on here, but if these are the ones in Government, how poor are those on the opposition benches?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:20 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Bloody hell, as you know, I am nowhere near as clued up on such things as the experts on here, but if these are the ones in Government, how poor are those on the opposition benches?
I forgot to mention Julian "mafia, moi?" Fantino.

Who today said that the Canadian Association of Retired Persons poll on whether the budget was positive for seniors (result 65% no) was invalid and claimed that he'd done his own poll yesterday and the result was "I'd like to believe quite different".

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 25th 2011 at 1:26 am. Reason: because I can.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:07 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible that the Canadian public is starting to see sense?

One can only hope.

Poll shows increasing voter skepticism about Harper government

With the start of an election campaign only a day or two away, a new poll reveals that many people trust Stephen Harper less than they did a year ago.
More here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1955978/

If I were the opposition I would be jumping up and down with joy but it is possible that this will not give Harper the majority he so desperately wants.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 25th 2011 at 4:11 am.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
"Is it possible that the Canadian public is starting to see sense?

One can only hope........"
Tory majority within reach - by Barry Kay, an associate professor at Wilfred Laurier University in Waterloo, Ont.

http://www.nationalpost.com/Tory+maj...455/story.html
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Any bets on who will be the representative from Canada at the Royal Wedding? It seems a bit silly to send the GG when the Queent will be there in person
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Any bets on who will be the representative from Canada at the Royal Wedding? It seems a bit silly to send the GG when the Queent will be there in person
well, if the election's on May 2, the incumbent PM will still be Harper. But if he's fighting the election on a platform of "we don't want this, it's a giant waste of money" it'd look a bit (more) hypocritical if he swanned off to a big pointless party on the other side of the Atlantic three days before the voters go to the polls. My guess is that no senior Canadian politicians will attend; I'd have thought the GG will have his own invitation, no?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

According to the beeb, Harpo not likely to attend the Royal Wedding. I'm sure the happy couple will be gutted.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12850847
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bet on the GG. All the Commonwealth GGs have been invited.

Then again, I'd have bet on the Habs stuffing the Bruins last night, so I may not be too good at this betting lark.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'd bet on the GG. All the Commonwealth GGs have been invited.

Then again, I'd have bet on the Habs stuffing the Bruins last night, so I may not be too good at this betting lark.
Gretsky's Law - at some point every thread on Canadian Expats ends up with a reference to the ugly game...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.