Hardly ever
13.16%
Less then once a year.
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Do you online shop in Canada?

Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you online shop in Canada?

Do you shop much online?

I find I rarely buy anything anymore online unless it's a hard to obtain item or something not possible to obtain locally or nearby in North Vancouver.

The shipping rates companies are charging these day's is insane.

I was going to order a 300g sample size of dog food as the pup is very picky and I don't want to keep buying full size bags to find out she won't eat it.

But they wanted 16.99 to ship it by Canada Post with an estimated 7-10 days in transit.

This isn't unique and the biggest reason I stopped buying online, the shipping charges many times ends up being higher then the items being bought.

Amazon.ca would be good if they could get their act together and sell more stuff, but they are still too limited but about the only place with good shipping rates.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you online shop in Canada?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do you shop much online?

I find I rarely buy anything anymore online unless it's a hard to obtain item or something not possible to obtain locally or nearby in North Vancouver.

The shipping rates companies are charging these day's is insane.

I was going to order a 300g sample size of dog food as the pup is very picky and I don't want to keep buying full size bags to find out she won't eat it.

But they wanted 16.99 to ship it by Canada Post with an estimated 7-10 days in transit.

This isn't unique and the biggest reason I stopped buying online, the shipping charges many times ends up being higher then the items being bought.

Amazon.ca would be good if they could get their act together and sell more stuff, but they are still too limited but about the only place with good shipping rates.

Like most things here, its limited, parochial, expensive and doesn't work very well.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Like most things here, its limited, parochial, expensive and doesn't work very well.
I find it amusing I can order from US websites and pay less shipping then when ordering something from Ontario, and I usually get it faster to boot.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in the states I shopped online all the time except groceries and things from target. The value was amazing and the shipping was ridiculously quick. Here in SW Ontario online shopping is positively painful with limited choice and horrendous shipping charges, and awful delays at customs. However I still do shop regularly online from small shops in Canada or the US; and Amazon.ca. I try to support Canadian based online shops but I am astounded that they sell almost nothing or just go bust. Last Christmas I literally could not find anything to spend my money on.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not in Canada, but probably 5-6 times per month. Too easy and efficient.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Staples for next day delivery, although they have upped the amount at which free delivery applies.

Amazon Canada occasionally throws up something not to be missed. The entire One foot in the grave series plus specials for less than £18 including delivery. Also handy for cheap earphones and other small stuff.

And whisky marmalade

I need pressure socks too. I can get them on line for $20 -$30 a pair. Bloody expensive but $70 to $100 in Lawtons.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
When I lived in the states I shopped online all the time except groceries and things from target. The value was amazing and the shipping was ridiculously quick. Here in SW Ontario online shopping is positively painful with limited choice and horrendous shipping charges, and awful delays at customs. However I still do shop regularly online from small shops in Canada or the US; and Amazon.ca. I try to support Canadian based online shops but I am astounded that they sell almost nothing or just go bust. Last Christmas I literally could not find anything to spend my money on.
Shipping seems to be the killer in Canada for online companies, unless large enough like Amazon or Wal-Mart everyone else has shipping so high, its not worth ordering from.

When I had an aquarium, I ordered everything I needed online as where I was living has a crummy saltwater section and few supplies, but there is an absolute awesome store in Burnaby who gives free shipping over $100 which isn't a lot of stuff considering the cost of the supplies but even there normal shipping rates were reasonable, and always cheaper to order it then it was to pay for the gas to drive 200km round trip, and it was always at my door within 2 days.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Not in Canada, but probably 5-6 times per month. Too easy and efficient.
I did about the same when in the US, no reason to fuss with stores for most things.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

It was much easier back in the UK, shipping was never really a barrier - I guess for obvious reasons really.

I don't buy much online anymore, only my contact lenses and they come from Jersey.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you start dictating what your dog eats and not the other way around, the puppy is giving you the finger and it's up to the owner to be the alpha dog in the relationship. I trained and cared for a lot of dogs in a retriever kennel over a two year period and dogs aren't picky eaters, a good quality kibble suitable to your pup's size and activity level is the basic requirement.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:47 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

A bit with Amazon.ca, LLBean (US), Zullily (t' wife). Not if I want anything in a hurry. Also buy stuff online in the UK for delivery to family for me to collect on one of my trips back.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny how commonplace online shopping has become. In the mists of time I recall people bring a bit incredulous about buying something "from the internet" and even "uploading credit card details". About fifteen years ago, I guess.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

LLBean has amazing online service backed by sensible, anglophone, actually in Maine, phone support. Click on a jumper on their website on Sunday and, on Wednesday, there's a note on the mailbox telling you that there's a package tied to a tree(!) There will also be emails telling you when the jumper was shipped and when it was delivered. There's no separate charge for shipping. The only slight catch is that, if you don't like something, you have to pay Canada Post's prices to send it back for exchange, usually it'll be cheaper to give the thing to the Salvation Army.

Lush also delivers to our house, I've heard no complaints about their service. Jcrew also delivers "for free", their approach is comparable to LLBean but slower. Their emails are so flaming you wonder if they're really sending something that's not pink. Surely no one is really thrilled to bits to have shoved a shirt in a bag and sent it out of the door.

The most entertaining was Sears. A man phoned on the day Sears said they would deliver "I've put the machine in the garage as per the instructions. Do you know a local towing service? Very sorry about the lawn".

Marks and Sparks also have excellent online service. I buy from them for delivery in the UK and in Switzerland and it's always gone without a hitch.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
LLBean has amazing online service backed by sensible, anglophone, actually in Maine, phone support. Click on a jumper on their website on Sunday and, on Wednesday, there's a note on the mailbox telling you that there's a package tied to a tree(!) There will also be emails telling you when the jumper was shipped and when it was delivered. There's no separate charge for shipping. The only slight catch is that, if you don't like something, you have to pay Canada Post's prices to send it back for exchange, usually it'll be cheaper to give the thing to the Salvation Army.
Point of clarification - you have to pay Canada post to return but you ship to Montreal not Maine. Still stupidly expensive though I agree.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I do it as a matter of habit for plane tickets, event tickets, hotels and vacations.

Less so for buying "stuff". Groceries once and a couple of bits of woodworking equipment.

We have made a lot of use of Kijiji, mostly for stuff to go in my son's house. I'm not sure if that counts as online shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.