Do you miss Cricket?

Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

rishi851 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you miss Cricket?

I am an East Indian and I stayed in Ottawa for 2 years. Someday I'd relocate to vancouver. I have a chance to even relocate for a minimum 2 years to Newfoundland and Labrador but I miss our common culture so much.
I missed butter chicken and fish n chips and above all...cricket! Even if I go to newfoundland I fear that I'd be too far removed from everything.
People in newfoundland are renowned for their friendliness and the natural scenery is awe inspiring but I'd want someone to share that common interest.
Even Aussies are welcome(kidding).

But how do you adapt to a totally different way of life? Enlighten me!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss Cricket?

Originally Posted by rishi851
I am an East Indian and I stayed in Ottawa for 2 years. Someday I'd relocate to vancouver. I have a chance to even relocate for a minimum 2 years to Newfoundland and Labrador but I miss our common culture so much.
I missed butter chicken and fish n chips and above all...cricket! Even if I go to newfoundland I fear that I'd be too far removed from everything.
People in newfoundland are renowned for their friendliness and the natural scenery is awe inspiring but I'd want someone to share that common interest.
Even Aussies are welcome(kidding).

But how do you adapt to a totally different way of life? Enlighten me!
If you wish to watch a sport that involves nothing really happening for hours at a time with short periods of excitement, you can simply watch baseball.

Butter chicken is available everywhere, I don't know how anyone in Canada could miss that.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

rishi851 is an unknown quantity at this point

I meant to get out on a sunny afternoon and play the game!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The person describing the rules of cricket to a bunch of Newfies would need the patience of a saint
With such a short summer season in most parts of Canada and in places where there is little UK, Oz or East Indian expats then cricket is one of the lesser sports to be seen.
There again after several large shots of screech then the Newfies would be up for any sport including cricket I guess.
I cant imagine there would be a shortage of fish and chip shops in Newfoundland and butter chicken or curries can be found in most major centres. Most major centres have East Indian families and places to eat.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will have more chance of a game in Vancouver.

Edied to add: go google images and search on cricket, Stanley Park Vancouver.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 6th 2013 at 5:02 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think you will have more chance of a game in Vancouver.

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/00...00070101fw.jpg
Or Surrey.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that a place that was, until 1949, a British colony, does not have ANY cricket!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:35 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be lots of games at Jack Darling Park on the Lakeshore in Mississauga. I used to take my kids there whenever we got tired of watching paint dry !
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine there's lots of Fish and Chips in Newfoundland? There's lots in NB, not good Fish and Chips, but they are here nevertheless.

I too find that it's odd how cricket is found over all of Africa, India, New Zealand and Aus, and lots of other places, but not really, to any great extent here, surely it's got to be the weather???
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I too find that it's odd how cricket is found over all of Africa, India, New Zealand and Aus, and lots of other places, but not really, to any great extent here, surely it's got to be the weather???
Or the big bucks to be earned in US pro sports.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

And amazingly the first ever international cricket match was Canada vs the USA
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:21 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband does, but he gets his fix from the BBC and has regular discussions on this site with various members such as Oink.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:22 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

They play cricket here in Ottawa at Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence

http://www.burghscricket.com/history/default.aspx.

Its all very pleasant on a sunny afternoon with a picnic.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a game in Victoria last week at Beacon Hill Park. It made me feel really at home. We are just packing and move to Victoria on Friday. Looking forward to a different life style and a 'slower' pace of life.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you wish to watch a sport that involves nothing really happening for hours at a time with short periods of excitement, you can simply watch baseball.

Butter chicken is available everywhere, I don't know how anyone in Canada could miss that.
You clearly don't understand the sport

We could watch ice hockey. 3 x 20min periods with loads of stoppages where nothing happens. A 60min game that takes 3hrs to finish because of all the ads and other crap. It is a fast game though, I'll give it that.

To the OP, you can find cricket being played in all parts of Canada, not many teams but they are there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.