Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

To answer your question OP I would be suspicious if someone randomly wanted to touch my baby , or anyone elses for that matter, or my little sister.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pilfered from Nutek's funny picture thread.
Attached Thumbnails Do strangers touch babies in the UK?-tuesday-dar-282.jpeg  
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:44 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question, no, unless they know you well. It's just not done there.
However I too noticed a different attitude when I came here. People are more open here, and would come up to my little ones and talk, and touch, and give them things!! It's well meant, but if it worries you, then try to hold them close. If it still happens then your going to have to say "no"!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No chance! Especially with all the dodgy people in the UK

I'm don't go all 'aww how cute' for babies anyway (prefer to interact with children when they are at the terrible twos - much more interesting and individual) but if I did then I would ask first at least but it is just not done in this day and age.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
To answer your question, no, unless they know you well. It's just not done there.
However I too noticed a different attitude when I came here. People are more open here, and would come up to my little ones and talk, and touch, and give them things!! It's well meant, but if it worries you, then try to hold them close. If it still happens then your going to have to say "no"!
It does seem to be considerably more relaxed here. There have been a couple of instances since we have lived here, the first was day one at school when the head master came out in the playground with at least 3 kids hanging off each limb and other children running up to throw their arms round him to greet him after the long break. In the UK school we had moved from it was considered unacceptable for a teacher to hug a child that had hurt themselves.

Then in my son's (age 5 at the time) tips for tots ice hockey lessons the instructors played hockey with the kids, I don't mean they played a game against the children, no, they had them roll up into a ball on the blue line and then they would shoot them at the net. Occasionally a child would be passed back and forth across the ice prior to the attempt on net.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid babies would be passed round like a football.
Our parents all used to go out at Hogmanay en masse and do first footing round our little village - all us kids would tag along and whichever house we got tired in was the one we slept in. A big pile of kids in a random villagers bed... Couldn't see that happening now.

I had my baby in Australia and there they did touch but they were usually respectful enough to ask if it was ok first.
One exception was where I was in a clothes shop holding my 14 month old who was sucking her thumb (she never used a soother/dummy)and the shop assistant (in her 50's maybe)literally batted her hand out her mouth and told her to stop doing that it's yucky!
I was on my own in there so I glared at her left the shop to hand her to my hubby went back in there and tore a right strip off her - I was about ready to rip her head off!
Anyway it is difficult but just body block them and firmly say please don't.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Just say no
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of Italian grannies grab hold of baby's cheeks and squeeze them whilst cooing and saying "bella bella/bello bello."

It's not something you really like but you can cope with it unless they go overboard. I learnt to recognise the grab sign and move in first to adjust a blanket or sleeve or dribble or anything imaginary as long as it blocked Granny's path.

Worse for me was finding out that all these uknown and never seen before people wanted to touch or stroke my fat, pregnant belly and guess if it was male or female. I was told that it brings good luck. I didn't like it and as far as I was concerend, those grabbing grannies could chance their own luck and keep their fat bloody gnarled fingers away from my precious load.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:36 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

If it were a friends child, possibly. A complete strangers child? not a chance. I don't want anyone touching my son, and I'd make the person very aware that it's not on if they did attempt to touch them.

I'm not an overly protective father, but no-one has the right to touch my child without my express permission.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:46 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The shoe can be on the other foot too - I am not a lover of babies/small children, so when faced with such things at a supermarket or something, you always get the mums cooing over them and then looking at you for some kind of affirmation as to how lovely they are.

Even worse with family now that god knows how many rellies have just had kids. What's that? Hold it? WTF for? I'd rather hold a spring loaded bear trap covered in poisonous frog venom thanks very much.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you don't want people touching your baby tell them you don't want them touching your baby. Simple, really.
Hmmm, it's not that simple. Lots of weird people around here. The last thing I want to do is make someone angry and harm me or my baby.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Just say to them, "Be careful - the baby has [insert name of hideous skin disease here], so best not to touch"
That's a really goos idea, thank you!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvy
That would work

My missus did something similar yesterday. She had to go to a laundromat (king-size duvet). Some bloke started chatting her up. Not unusual because she's an attractive woman. Part of the conversation went like this.

"And what do you do for a living?"
"I'm a public servant"
"Have you always done that?"
"No. I was a soldier for 23 years. I'm trained to kill people"

Apparently the chatting-up then stopped.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gozit
To answer your question OP I would be suspicious if someone randomly wanted to touch my baby , or anyone elses for that matter, or my little sister.
Well exactly! And I don't go up to random people and rub their toes!!!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkus
If it were a friends child, possibly. A complete strangers child? not a chance. I don't want anyone touching my son, and I'd make the person very aware that it's not on if they did attempt to touch them.

I'm not an overly protective father, but no-one has the right to touch my child without my express permission.
It's interesting that you mentioned the father bit. Nobody touches our baby when she's out with daddy or when the three of us are out together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.