Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

DIY in Canada for Renovations - what can and can't you do yourself???

DIY in Canada for Renovations - what can and can't you do yourself???

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY in Canada for Renovations - what can and can't you do yourself???

Hi guys

We're looking at fixer uppers as an option for us to both flip and live in. We were wondering what the regulations are there for what you can and can't do workwise on a house yourself in Canada.

In the UK on the houses we've worked on we've done pretty much everything ourselves, with the exception of larger electrical works to comply with regulations.

But laying flooring, tiling, plumbing, minor electrical works, fitting lights, doors, stud walls, plasterboarding, roofing etc etc.

We're a bit concerned that the regs may be wildly different in Canada and restrict what you can do?

If so that would greatly increase the costs for outside labour, and might make ours plans look a lot less rosy
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY in Canada for Renovations - what can and can't you do yourself???

Building regulations are local, not federal, so YMMV but, in Ontario, we've done a couple of renovations and have done much of the work ourselves. The electrical work has to be signed off by a licensed electrician and lots of inspections are required at different stages of projects. I imagine that's about the same in the UK.

It's not typically regulations that prevent us from doing more things ourselves, rather it's lack of expertise or lack of muscle. For example, I'm sitting in a nearly renovated kitchen, we installed the drywall and the cupboards and tiled but we didn't install the countertops; they're too heavy and the job needs specialized machinery. Outside, a crew is converting the garage from using supporting posts for the upper floor to having a clear span and a steel beam. That job requires engineering drawings, which we can't do, and heavy lifting; we could rent some sort of crane thing but they charge by the hour and we're a fair way from a rental place so that tends not to be cost effective.

We've done all the things listed in your post including re-plumbing the house. We've wimped on the structural work (regulations), laying the barn foundation (we went from the concrete up, regulations again), roofing the building with the scary height and slope (nerve), installing the woodstove (regulations), installing the generator switch (regulations), converting the stove from electric to gas (regulations), garage beam (muscle), countertops (muscle). Note that, by "regulations" I typically mean that, by the time you've paid someone to inspect the work they may as well do it.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY in Canada for Renovations - what can and can't you do yourself???

Very interesting! Seems mostly similar to the UK in this case, which is not a bad thing :-)

We're looking at Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Already permanent residents, finishing our UK house right now to put on sale in a couple of months to get our asses over there (we have to move there within three years maximum so time is fine right now).

We've done the kitchen ourselves here in the UK, including worktops but they are the chipboardy type (laminate) rather than granite.

Are the permitted development rights over there similar to here?

For example, here we can build an outbuilding like a garage or workshop any size we like without planning permission. Provided it does not take up more than 50% of the garden, not within 1 (or is it 2?) meters from a boundary, less than 4 meters tall for pitched roof (3 meters for flat/one sided lean to roof).

Likewise you can build an extension to the rear of your house without planning here provided it does not take up more than 50% of the width of the garden, and other rules do apply, but follow those and no planning needed.

All works need to conform to building regulation requirements (i.e. the way in which things are built, and using what types of materials etc).

Is it similar there? Again, appreciate it will vary for territories.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Very interesting! Seems mostly similar to the UK in this case, which is not a bad thing :-)

We're looking at Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Already permanent residents, finishing our UK house right now to put on sale in a couple of months to get our asses over there (we have to move there within three years maximum so time is fine right now).

We've done the kitchen ourselves here in the UK, including worktops but they are the chipboardy type (laminate) rather than granite.

Are the permitted development rights over there similar to here?

For example, here we can build an outbuilding like a garage or workshop any size we like without planning permission. Provided it does not take up more than 50% of the garden, not within 1 (or is it 2?) meters from a boundary, less than 4 meters tall for pitched roof (3 meters for flat/one sided lean to roof).

Likewise you can build an extension to the rear of your house without planning here provided it does not take up more than 50% of the width of the garden, and other rules do apply, but follow those and no planning needed.

All works need to conform to building regulation requirements (i.e. the way in which things are built, and using what types of materials etc).

Is it similar there? Again, appreciate it will vary for territories.
The distance, % expansion or amount of coverage is different from one local municipality to another. Generally, deviations from the mandated 'regulations' known as zoning are dealt with through the Committee of Adjustment here in Ontario (I compare it to Night Court for the range of projects and the characters who present and their level of preparation). Not sure if they have such a thing in NB or NS. The Committee of Adjustment is a public process where neighbours can appeal a decision or a decision can be turned down.

When I was in university I dated a lady from NB who eventually ended up back there, despite vowing she would never go back, and she was on the 'regulations' side of 'planning' in local government in NB but she seems to have disappeared from that job now.

Generally, in Ontario out buildings (i.e sheds, garages, swimming pools, decks) need to be about 1 metre (yes it is all in metres at least here in Ottawa and those long in the tooth still want to know what that is in ft and inches) from property lines and usually something like a garage in the back yard or a shed can only be about 3 or 4 metres high.

One thing that is becoming more popular in Ontario are coach houses, which are basically another unit in the back yard sometimes above a garage but they need to be connected to the mains for the main house and there are usually size limitations and setback requirements.

There is a reason that MUNicipal government and MUNdane have the same root.

Last edited by Partially discharged; Apr 3rd 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The distance, % expansion or amount of coverage is different from one local municipality to another. Generally, deviations from the mandated 'regulations' known as zoning are dealt with through the Committee of Adjustment here in Ontario (I compare it to Night Court for the range of projects and the characters who present and their level of preparation). Not sure if they have such a thing in NB or NS. The Committee of Adjustment is a public process where neighbours can appeal a decision or a decision can be turned down.

When I was in university I dated a lady from NB who eventually ended up back there, despite vowing she would never go back, and she was on the 'regulations' side of 'planning' in local government in NB but she seems to have disappeared from that job now.

Generally, in Ontario out buildings (i.e sheds, garages, swimming pools, decks) need to be about 1 metre (yes it is all in metres at least here in Ottawa and those long in the tooth still want to know what that is in ft and inches) from property lines and usually something like a garage in the back yard or a shed can only be about 3 or 4 metres high.

One thing that is becoming more popular in Ontario are coach houses, which are basically another unit in the back yard sometimes above a garage but they need to be connected to the mains for the main house and there are usually size limitations and setback requirements.

Ottawa is a government town so, yes, I expect there is some metric up there. There isn't here. What we did for the outbuilding was to approach the local planning department and they said "up to 1100 sq. ft. no problem" so we went with 1000. There was some set back required, 20' maybe, I don't remember the number as it wasn't an issue for us. The regulations here depend on the intended use of the outbuilding; cows, pigs, tractors and so on.

Our previous house, where we added a floor, was in an urban location and there there were more rules. The window location was changed numerous times because permission depended on which person looked at the plans, the windows had to be 12' from something (no metric there either, building related stuff tends not to be metrified) but the something varied with the person inspecting. You can obtain a copy of the building code (or plough through it online) but violations, especially in new housing projects, are routine. The critical thing is to be on good terms with the building department. If you're going to be doing multiple renovations in the same municipality you might want to add individuals to your Christmas list.

Metric, I suppose, is like French. If you approach people speaking in French, they'll speak French to you. It'll be too fast and too accented to be any good to me but they can do it. At least, at the government they can do it. If you're in a shop and want a sheet of drywall and you ask for n square heptathletes instead of 8'x4' they'll think you're from Mars.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 3rd 2018 at 1:36 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ottawa is a government town so, yes, I expect there is some metric up there. There isn't here. What we did for the outbuilding was to approach the local planning department and they said "up to 1100 sq. ft. no problem" so we went with 1000. There was some set back required, 20' maybe, I don't remember the number as it wasn't an issue for us. The regulations here depend on the intended use of the outbuilding; cows, pigs, tractors and so on.

Our previous house, where we added a floor, was in an urban location and there there were more rules. The window location was changed numerous times because permission depended on which person looked at the plans, the windows had to be 12' from something (no metric there either, building related stuff tends not to be metrified) but the something varied with the person inspecting. You can obtain a copy of the building code (or plough through it online) but violations, especially in new housing projects, are routine. The critical thing is to be on good terms with the building department. If you're going to be doing multiple renovations in the same municipality you might want to add individuals to your Christmas list.

Metric, I suppose, is like French. If you approach people speaking in French, they'll speak French to you. It'll be too fast and too accented to be any good to me but they can do it. At least, at the government they can do it. If you're in a shop and want a sheet of drywall and you ask for n square heptathletes instead of 8'x4' they'll think you're from Mars.
Good responses....I see many of the municipal building regs for my job and they are all in metric in terms of how many metres you have to be back from a property line etc....you probably run into people in the field who when they see a 6 metre setback do the math in their head and figure it is about 20'. Cornwall basically took the old imperial setbacks (say 30') and just changed it to 9.14 m or something like that. It is likely due to their short distance to the USA.

I know that the building construction industry is all in imperial. That seems kind of funny in some ways as in the 50's/60's immigrants came from Italy/Portugal etc and went to work in the construction field so then canada was only imperial so it was a big learning curve for them. Now Italian Canadians are dominant in the management of builders/construction firms but they are so far detached from their original education in metric.

Here in Ottawa if you put your plans in for a building permit only in imperial they'll send them back to you. Metric only or both is OK but not just imperial.

Let me guess..you still figure out the price of petrol in $/gallon when in Canada.

Totally agree re: keeping a good relationship with municipal building officials as you are likely going to have to deal with them a lot especially if it is a small municipality where there may be just one guy. A feigned interest in small town amateur sports, the plight of the Maple Leafs/Blue Jays etc can do wonders.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in a shop and want a sheet of drywall and you ask for n square heptathletes instead of 8'x4' they'll think you're from Mars.
I don't think that would be location specific. Although if in Moscow the assumption might be that you're pimping for the IOC.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Let me guess..you still figure out the price of petrol in $/gallon when in Canada.
I switched from knowing roughly how many mpg I was getting to roughly what a tank of petrol costs. If I'm in the Mustang it displays the current fuel consumption but I don't know if it's using imperial or US gallons and neither matches the pump anyway. It doesn't really matter, I'm going to drive so I'm going to buy the petrol.

Anyway, I didn't want to get all bogged down in this yet again. I haven't had a need to use metric in Canada. I understand that commercial building uses metric for lengths and imperial for widths but I don't want to bother with two sets of measures so I just use feet and inches; that way it matches the dimensions of goods for sale. It's just easier.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Not just one municipality to another but within each municipality you will find zones with varying setback and lot coverage restrictions. A Committee of Adjustment meeting can be quite entertaining.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I switched from knowing roughly how many mpg I was getting to roughly what a tank of petrol costs. If I'm in the Mustang it displays the current fuel consumption but I don't know if it's using imperial or US gallons and neither matches the pump anyway. It doesn't really matter, I'm going to drive so I'm going to buy the petrol.

Anyway, I didn't want to get all bogged down in this yet again. I haven't had a need to use metric in Canada. I understand that commercial building uses metric for lengths and imperial for widths but I don't want to bother with two sets of measures so I just use feet and inches; that way it matches the dimensions of goods for sale. It's just easier.
You'd hate my VW..it only displays the speed in km/h. I agree if you're buying materials imperial still seems the way to go.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
A Committee of Adjustment meeting can be quite entertaining.
You need to get out more.

I was at one last year in which city hall security had to come into the room to remove an objector who was swearing profusely at the committee etc when they turned down his application which was poorly presented and he was pushing the envelope way too much.

I was the next application and the Committee chairperson (who knows me) tried to get assurances that I wouldn't react in the same way if turned down before I started my presentation. It was a routine application which ticked all of the boxes.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You'd hate my VW..it only displays the speed in km/h.
I wouldn't buy a car like that but it doesn't bother me if a hire car has only one or the other or none even; a car I hired recently didn't have a working speedo. I have a GPS speedo in the phone.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't buy a car like that but it doesn't bother me if a hire car has only one or the other or none even; a car I hired recently didn't have a working speedo. I have a GPS speedo in the phone.
Yes, the km/h only does cause a few issues in the US where I have to do the math to figure out the speed limit..although I'm sure those don't factor heavily with you.

My GPS is more accurate I think in terms of speed than the speed thing that came with the car.

What kind of car did you hire w/o a speedo?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yes, the km/h only does cause a few issues in the US where I have to do the math to figure out the speed limit..although I'm sure those don't factor heavily with you.

My GPS is more accurate I think in terms of speed than the speed thing that came with the car.

What kind of car did you hire w/o a speedo?
Citroen Mehari. It didn't have seatbelts either. I liked it very much.

The snag with using the GPS speedo is that I only ever look at the speedo when I see a police car and that's not the ideal moment to be rummaging around to pull up the phone.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There are restrictions in BC ............... in Vancouver, any renovations to the interior need to be approved if they could affect a) structural (eg, removing an interior wall), b) electrical (even replacing wiring), c) plumbing, d) if there is likely to be any asbestos (probable in any house or building built before about 1970). Plans have to be drawn up, approved, and then inspected by a city inspector at various stages.

Outside buildings have to be below a maximum size, distance from back lane and house. There are regulations for both house and garage as to how much of the lot can be covered (ie, the footprint of the buildings), distance from lot lines in all 4 directions, fences have to be below a certain height, and approval has to be got if a tree more than a certain DBH (diameter at breast height) is to be cut down and for any size DBH if more than 1 tree is to be removed. Any tree removed has to be replaced on the property within 1 year.

My daughter lives in Halifax, NS and that city has bylaws that have to be followed ........... plans drawn up and approved, eg for basement digging out, electricity, size of outside buildings such as a playhouse. They don't have a garage so I don't know what is needed for that.

Always be aware that neighbours are likely to be watching what you are doing, and someone is likely to report you to the local Planning Department if they suspect anything is not "according to the rules". If someone does complain, you have to stop work until an inspector can get out to examine the house and the work being done ........... can be problematic if you haven't followed the "rules". They order you to stop all work and restore the building to its original state.

I don't know what the rules are for flipping houses in the UK, but Vancouver for example has long regarded flipping within 6 months of buying as speculation, and you are very likely to be charged a tax on the difference between the buying and selling amounts. The BC government is now likely to charge a provincial tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.